boot suggestions?

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
so im looking into a new pair of general riding boots. ive been using my good pair of tall, heavy hiking boots mostly, but they are on their way out now.
key thing for me is walking comfort and casual looks. my work has me living a couple hours away from my hometown and i want to be able to head back for the weekend without having to carry another pair of footwear. i also dont want to be wearing boots that look like they belong on a stormtrooper to the mall. i realize that this isnt the usual priorities for riding footwear, but at least it will be better than street shoes.
i also have fairly wide, warm feet.
so far the teknic freestyle boot is the best ive found so far, but i think they too short to offer decent ankle support.
suggestions?
thanks

BTW: im in Honduras right now, for a few more weeks, and i can tell you the weather is perfect for riding! just wish i had my bike!:)

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

I'm not much for ankle boots as they may look good but they have a tendency to go one way when I go the other in an off. They also offer little protection. Don't get me wrong, they're a good looking boot.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yet once again I agree with Blue ;), if you off, the ankle boot isn't going to help much.

For commuting and touring, pretty much everyday ridding I wear Dehner Strap Tanker Boots. When the Army worn black boots a few years ago these were far and away my favorite boots. I can stand all day in them.

They are custom made to your foot and you can choose from a wide variety of leathers. Mine are made of waxed Calf Skin. The boots weigh a ton but fit prefectly.

They have an oil resistant skid proof sole and are great for riding. I can feel the foot peds and my levers and they offer great protection with two layers of super heavy leather.

And the best part is GEN George S. Patton designed these in 1937, so they have an amazing history to them.

Dehner also makes police, equestrian and Texas A & M Corps of Cadets boots. First class products.

The Dehner Boot Company: Custom Military Boots

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Joe Rocket Big Bang boot. Good for wide feet. Very stiff at first, mine are still being broken in after a couple of days but are getting much better. I think they look good, they definately would provide good protection and ankle support without being too tall and obtrusive.

I am very satisfied so far. I think the price is good too, at just under a hundred smackers.

2007_Joe_Rocket_Big_Bang_Boots_Black.jpg

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the ideas, i like all of them.
never really thought about MX boots before. i like their look in general much better than street boots. when i get home ill just have to see what i can find and try on a few pairs and to how they fit:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so im looking into a new pair of general riding boots. ive been using my good pair of tall, heavy hiking boots mostly, but they are on their way out now.
key thing for me is walking comfort and casual looks. my work has me living a couple hours away from my hometown and i want to be able to head back for the weekend without having to carry another pair of footwear. i also dont want to be wearing boots that look like they belong on a stormtrooper to the mall. i realize that this isnt the usual priorities for riding footwear, but at least it will be better than street shoes.
i also have fairly wide, warm feet.
so far the teknic freestyle boot is the best ive found so far, but i think they too short to offer decent ankle support.
suggestions?
thanks

BTW: im in Honduras right now, for a few more weeks, and i can tell you the weather is perfect for riding! just wish i had my bike!:)
I can tell you a boot not to buy. Hein Gericke Bulson. They are comfortable, waterproof. You can wear them under your jeans all day no problems. They required no breaking in and have been by far the warmest boot I have ever worn, however the velcrow strap that holds the shin guard in place is inadequate as is the remaining velcro retainer, they have as much style as Gordon Brown in a shell suit. I only got them as they were the only boots that they had in my size. I have had sidi boots preiviously. Money permiting I ill go back to Sidi,

Nelly

Last edited:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
never really thought about MX boots before. i like their look in general much better than street boots.

MX boots have a lot to recommend them. They have much more shin protection and a lot more adjustability than yer average street boot.

I've been in a boot quandary for a while. I've wanted the Sidi Crossfire SRS, but they don't make them in my size (36 Euro). So I wiffled around with a cheap pair of boots. After breaking my ankle during an off in a supermoto race, however, I realized that I was going to have to stop kvetching and find a boot that fit.

I went with the Alpinestars Supertech (the former generation, not the current Supertech R). My criteria:
-Hard impact protection.
-Resistance to twisting in any way an ankle is not supposed to twist.
-A size that fits.

Plusses:

-Good external hard protection on the shin and heel.
-Replaceable heel and toe sliders.
-Good internal anti-twisting hinged bracing structure - an inner boot.
-Adjustable calves.
-Very comfortable. The hinged internal structure allows for normal ankle movement with little resistance.

Minuses:
-The boots are short - they only go a little way up the calf.
-The slider that holds the laces for the adjustable calf doesn't hold the strings as firmly as I'd like. I think I'd be better off tying them.
-They look goofy - but so do I, so no big.

http://www.roadstergal.info/3_29_08/1437.jpg

http://www.roadstergal.info/3_29_08/1438.jpg

The adjustable calf.

http://www.roadstergal.info/3_29_08/1436.jpg

The internal structure.

http://www.roadstergal.info/3_29_08/1435.jpg

I wear these boots doing everything - commuting, dirt, supermoto, etc. I don't believe in owning a good bit of gear and not wearing it every time I get on the bike. :)

If they fit you, though, I would seriously look at the Sidi Crossfire SRS. My husband and his friend have them, and they are utterly the shizz.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have daily ride boot now and eventually I m getting the right one for me
I ve been checking the SIDI VERTIGO AIR.....
It has the angkle guard protection and air for the hell....
I m not going to track so I think this boot is more then enough for street use

vsboxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market and have been looking at the Sidi 2008 model Strada Evo Rain boots. Anyone already have these?

I have the Strada Evo Air boots, which are pretty much the same thing but with ventilation as it's warm where I am. They are fantastic, super comfortable while providing great protection with a conservative look (no crazy colors etc.) and I can't recommend them enough.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to recommend you a great pair of boots, but Canada doesn't make them anymore. The best boots I ever bought in my life were:

DAKOTA: Fire & Ice

They're not motorcycle boots, but I'm starting to become convinced they're INDESTRUCTIBLE. They're made with this sparkly synthetic leather that's 15 times more flexible, durable and temperature resistant than regular leather. They have an 8 inch greave. I bought a couple of mods for them too.

After applying heat-soles and zipper mods, these boots cost $300+ to get. I wear them EVERYWHERE. I even finished a stage 11 LEGER test with them. I've ran/jumped countless miles with no problems too. Great boots, but expensive.

Here's the latest model, but they're NOT AS GOOD as the discontinued Fire & Ice.

Mark's Work Wearhouse

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
not sure if you had read the reviews i had posted, but i originally ended up buying a pair of joe rocket sonics and was reasonbly happy with them but not overjoyed.
i edend up returning them a couple months later because the leather had started to crack at the ankles on both boots.
ended up with a pair of smx-4's, which ive had for a month or so now and am very happy with them. theyre 5X the boot the sonics were and better in every way.

also, Dakota is the house brand of marks work wearhouse. i dont believe you have them in the u.s., do you? they probably have 50+ models of work boots and are in general decent quality and good value.