Washing the bike

Grape

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I would like some advice on washing the bike. Do you use a hose to spray it first as washing a car or just bucket and spunge? If hose, is the electronics water proofed so that I dont need to bother avoiding spraying certain areas? I got the advice from a dealer that I should wash it with the engine idling which would guarantee that any water entering the engine (i.e. due to a bad gasket etc) will boil away/forced out immediately. Should I listen to the dealer? Is this something you do when you wash the bike?

Thanks in advance. /Henrik

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I have washed my bike in the hose and bucket fashion. The bike can be ridden in the rain, so I don't see how rinsing it with a hose is much different? It probably isn't a bad idea to run the engine while doing it, but I don't think it is necessary. just don't drive it into lakes.

If you have a bad gasket, you would probably have noticed it before washing.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I would like some advice on washing the bike. Do you use a hose to spray it first as washing a car or just bucket and spunge? If hose, is the electronics water proofed so that I dont need to bother avoiding spraying certain areas? I got the advice from a dealer that I should wash it with the engine idling which would guarantee that any water entering the engine (i.e. due to a bad gasket etc) will boil away/forced out immediately. Should I listen to the dealer? Is this something you do when you wash the bike?

That's nonsense... turn the bike off... Just use common sense. Just don't use high pressure spray in areas such as under the seat, muffler opennings, throttle bodies, instruments, brakes or stearing head. Rinsing is fine, after all you can ride in the rain, right? After you dry it, take it for a ride to get rid of any excess moisture around the engine, brakes, trottle bodies, etc.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I think your dealer is all wet. If a gasket is leaking H2O into the engine, he has a problem not you.

As long as you don't use a high pressure car wash on your bike you'll be fine.

I like to rinse the bike with water first, spray on Simple Green Bicycle Cleaning Foam, let sit a couple of minutes, wash off with car shampoo, rinse and dry. Looks GREAT and will not spot Ti or Alum.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 pence worth.

Works for me, my Two year-old is getting good at washing the bike to so wont be to long until I have an automated service lol.

Nelly

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 pence worth.

Works for me, my Two year-old is getting good at washing the bike to so wont be to long until I have an automated service lol.

Nelly

Hmmmmm... you might have almost givin me a reason to have kids - lol! Can they get you beer out of the fridge and stuff as well???

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I've always just washed my bike like a car (but much more affectionately and tenderly, of course...:D)

Grape

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, thank you all! Just a comment on riding in rain. I guess the electronics can get a little moist but wont be flooded with water when riding in rain. Using the hose at all possible angles on the other hand seems very likely to really make the electronics dripping wet. But I see your point, use common sense and it will be fine.
Thank you!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I've ridden in some torrential downpoors for hours and the only thing that has ever died from that was a relay that I installed in a bad position.

Your bike is a solid, well built piece of machinery....you are not going to 'hurt' it!!!! Don't be affraid to touch it people!! It's not going to fall apart or burst into flame if you look at it the wrong way....

As stated before, use common (or possible not so common) sense when doing maintenance or washing your bike. Don't use high preasure washers and don't blast a heavy stream of water at electrical connections. Pretty much like washing your car...

Also, I regularly use those spary on engine degreasers made by GUNK on my engine with no problems what so ever. Gets all that greese and dirt out. Only thing is that your engine will smell like GUNK for a few rides after using it.

To get my rear wheel rims uber clean, I use mineral spirits (paint thinner) on them first to remove any heavy build up of greese and excess chain lube. You can use mineral sprits on pretty much any metal and painted meatl surface of your bike. mineral spirits will not even come close to harming powder coated wheel rims or parts.

Your manual will also show some key lubing points that are good to check/lube after a good clean.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmmm... you might have almost givin me a reason to have kids - lol!
Sorry Whirly, please can you confirm that that was not an invitation?.......lol You may struggle to get here for next weekend UK meet.
+ 3 under three is kinda hard work. Ok plus side is I get a pit crew in three years lol.

Nelly

As mentioned bucket of water and elbow grease is the way to go.

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wash with a garden hose, a bucket of warm water and car wash soap added, a soft wash mitt, and soft long bristle brush. I splash the bike with the hose water (low pressure) then get at it with the soapy bucket of water with the wash mitt. Nooks and crannies are reachable with the soft brush dunked in said bucket. Just make sure there is no grit on the mitt when doing the painted areas otherwise rinse and clean first. I tend to wash the dirty areas last but it’s usually just a film of dirt after the hosing. When it’s all done, chamois to eliminate water spots, start it up and go for a ride to blow the rest out. :thumbup:

I pressure washed one of my mountain bikes after a mud race once. A day later I noticed rust within the headset bearings and I ended up taking every bearing out of the bike, cleaned and re-greased. :( Don’t do that anymore. I think the same applies with the FZ6. There are bearings all over the place and the rollers in the chain too.

Side note; don’t just use any kind of soap as the wrong ones will remove the wax protectant on the paint job. Search on “Wax” in this forum for more lively discussion about waxing. ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wash with a garden hose, a bucket of warm water and car wash soap added, a soft wash mitt, and soft long bristle brush. I splash the bike with the hose water (low pressure) then get at it with the soapy bucket of water with the wash mitt. Nooks and crannies are reachable with the soft brush dunked in said bucket. Just make sure there is no grit on the mitt when doing the painted areas otherwise rinse and clean first. I tend to wash the dirty areas last but it’s usually just a film of dirt after the hosing. When it’s all done, chamois to eliminate water spots, start it up and go for a ride to blow the rest out. :thumbup:

I pressure washed one of my mountain bikes after a mud race once. A day later I noticed rust within the headset bearings and I ended up taking every bearing out of the bike, cleaned and re-greased. :( Don’t do that anymore. I think the same applies with the FZ6. There are bearings all over the place and the rollers in the chain too.

Side note; don’t just use any kind of soap as the wrong ones will remove the wax protectant on the paint job. Search on “Wax” in this forum for more lively discussion about waxing. ;)
Thats all good mate, In the UK we can't use warm wate as ir re-activates the sodiun chloride that they throw on the roads. I like the drying bit after. Good fast blast lol

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmmm... you might have almost givin me a reason to have kids - lol! Can they get you beer out of the fridge and stuff as well???

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I've always just washed my bike like a car (but much more affectionately and tenderly, of course...:D)

Whirly - Yes! They can be trained, quite well actually... My seven year old, "Look Dad, Lone Star beer...in a 12 pack...$7.59...that's cheap!", "Dad are you drinking another Lone Star.", "Dad your Lone Star is empty." Dad says, "Colin, would you get me another Lone Star please?", "Shwore Dad."

But wait, there's more..."Dad, Dad, I want to wash the truck too!", "Dad, can I cook the noodles?", "Dad can we go for a motorcycle ride on the Buell?" "Colin, it's a Yamaha." "Yeah Dad, the blue Buell."

Gotta love them!

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, I just use a bucket of lukewarm water and a soft cloth. I clean everything I can reach, then after I use a terry cloth to dry. Bike looks good as new. The best thing with hand washing is, you get your hands on everything so if there is something wrong you are right there to spot it before the surprise on the road.

H

HavBlue

I wash the FZ6, Sporty, Roadstar and all the dirt toys just as I would the cages and this includes soap and water at the cluster area. Never had a problem yet. I do however hold the pressure way down on the nozzle though. I use the blow end of the shop-vac to dry things off.

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always used a soft brush and bucket of warm car wash soap (no dish soap). Pre wet with the hose and rinse with hose after wash. I like to use my back-pack blower to dry off good.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a couple of those tapered rubber "exhaust plugs" with the little yellow "flags" on them that the Motocross folks use when they power wash their bikes after mud-plugging. The FZ6's exhaust system is up high and quite vulnerable to water getting in during over-enthusiastic hosing down and flowing down to the catalytic converter....this means death to it if it's still hot, btw.
Most bike shops sell them; they're inexpensive and do a great job of keeping water out of the exhaust.
Just remember to remove them when you're done.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
. The FZ6's exhaust system is up high and quite vulnerable to water getting in during over-enthusiastic hosing down and flowing down to the catalytic converter....this means death to it if it's still hot,

This is a good point so the answer is

LET YOUR BIKE COOL OFF BEFORE YOU WASH IT.

It saves burning your fingers as well.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete,
You haven't got the manual for a 3 year-old (female) have you?
I seem to have some operational misfires with the age compatibility.
My Two - nearly Three has started to have a regular missfire that sounds like.

Dad "Darling please can you get me this (usually beer"?
Daughter (nearly three) Why? Why? Why? (misfire).
Even after repeated re-starts The Why? Why? misfire cuts in.

I am getting a bit dispondent with this problem. Hope you can help any way of some cheeky MOD.

Thanks

A thirsty dad.