What the??? Help me clear this up, please

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Time for new tires (rear one is just about down to the belt, while front looks nearly perfect, but I figured if it's 3 years old or older, it should be replaced anyway).
So.. I check the markings on the rear: Dunlop D252, made in 46th week of 2006. The front: Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier D209F made in 37th week of 2007.

Am I losing it or is this NOT the stock tire?? I thought both front and rear were supposed to be 252s?!

Quick search shows that 209 is actually a race tire (came stock on several bikes, including R6), while 252 is sport touring and it seems this combination is not recommended. Should I be dead right now?

I'll be swapping both tires out, but I'm just trying to figure out what I've been riding all this time. I'm the 2nd owner of this bike and I was told the tires were OEM :rolleyes:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Time for new tires (rear one is just about down to the belt, while front looks nearly perfect, but I figured if it's 3 years old or older, it should be replaced anyway).
So.. I check the markings on the rear: Dunlop D252, made in 46th week of 2006. The front: Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier D209F made in 37th week of 2007.

Am I losing it or is this NOT the stock tire?? I thought both front and rear were supposed to be 252s?!

Quick search shows that 209 is actually a race tire (came stock on several bikes, including R6), while 252 is sport touring and it seems this combination is not recommended. Should I be dead right now?

I'll be swapping both tires out, but I'm just trying to figure out what I've been riding all this time. I'm the 2nd owner of this bike and I was told the tires were OEM :rolleyes:

The Qualifier RR is the track tire....and not a very good one at that...in fact, i have found the Qualifier RR's to be one of the longest wearing tyres i have ever had on an FZ6...but definitely not a great tyre.

You supposedly have a soft tyre on the front, and a harder tyre on the rear. not so bad, better than the other way round, as a soft rear, will "push" a harder front...which is not ideal...

As for it being an issue, having mixed tryes on your bike...if your a decent rider, you will work out what your tyres are doing pretty quickly, and ride the bike accordingly...whi i assume has been the case with you, whether that has been a conscious, or sub-conscious thing, i dunno.

:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Qualifier RR is the track tire....and not a very good one at that...in fact, i have found the Qualifier RR's to be one of the longest wearing tyres i have ever had on an FZ6...but definitely not a great tyre.

You supposedly have a soft tyre on the front, and a harder tyre on the rear. not so bad, better than the other way round, as a soft rear, will "push" a harder front...which is not ideal...

As for it being an issue, having mixed tryes on your bike...if your a decent rider, you will work out what your tyres are doing pretty quickly, and ride the bike accordingly...whi i assume has been the case with you, whether that has been a conscious, or sub-conscious thing, i dunno.

Interesting. All this time I thought I was riding stock setup :rolleyes:

I wonder if this actually makes for better combination than 252s front and back. I have never felt my bike misbehave. :don'tknow:

Anyway... time for a new set :)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. All this time I thought I was riding stock setup :rolleyes:

I wonder if this actually makes for better combination than 252s front and back. I have never felt my bike misbehave. :don'tknow:

Anyway... time for a new set :)

Hey Howie:

Check out the BT-023 from Bridgestone. I put some on a few weeks ago and they are by far the best I've had on the bike.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a pirelli diablo on the front and a bridgestone bt 021 on the back...probably my favorite tire combo to date. Soft front tire and harder back tire made for confident cornering in the twisties. The tire guy told me the combo was fine as long as I didnt have abs on my bike. Currently running a set of Michelin PR1's and find the front slips ever so slightly in the twisties...a little freaky until I got used to it.(absolutely best tire I've ever run in the rain,tho)(Just my 2cents worth)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want Grip, and dont care about mileage Bridgestone BT003RS, or Bridgestone BT016.....Mikey, who goes through Tyres at about a pair a month, reckons the BT016 are better for the road than the BTOO3, as they are easier to get hot enough to get the most grip out of them, and they last a bit longer...

For the best mileage/ grip combo, you cant go past the Michelin Pilot Road 2....The perfect alrounder trye for the FZ6 IMHO, and lots of other people too...check out the Sportstouring Tyre Poll i started on here a while back...the PR2's are miles out in front of any other tyre in terms of popularity...