Flat!!

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm coming home from the gym last night and I roll up to a light and there's a bike in the lane to the right. On a quick glance I didn't see anything in the road, and as I come close to a stop I'm checking the other bike out to see what it is and then bang, I feel/hear that I have run over something. I look in the mirror and don't see anything, but I got that uneasy feeling. My place was just up the road, so I go back, put her away, come out this morning and the back tire is totally flat :(.

So here is my question please:

Obviously I need to get a new rear tire (am not going to get it plugged, if it's even possible. Had to run into work this morning so I just jumped in the truck and went. Have not assessed the damage yet, but it has to be bad if it's that flat). I bought the bike new in April 2008 (stock tires, of course) and there are 6600 miles on her. Should I replace the front tire as well while I'm at it? I am also going to have them bleed the brakes and put in new fluid as I am not skilled enough to do that myself so I don't look at this as a totally bad thing. She needed to get to the shop anyway, although she's going to have to get there on a tow truck or something now :( :(. I guess the front seems fine, probably just standard wear for that many miles, but while I'm there... ya know? Of course I would ask for suggestions on what kind of tire to get, but I'll go over the forum first.

Thanks as usual! :cheer:

Craig

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
replace both. I like Metzler Roadtec Z6's. Your going to love new tires, be like a new bike.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, update. I went home and checked it out. Put her up on the center stand and I found a single puncture mark on the right side about an inch or so from the side. What is the general consensus about plugging tires? Might I be ok plugging it or should the tire be replaced? At least I can plug it and ride it to the shop so I don't have to tow her. Called the shop and they want $75 installation fee to put on each tire, and I asked about changing the brake fluid and they want $90.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't necessarily have to replace the front if it still has good tread, especially if you are replacing the back with the same tire that is on it now. Doesn't your insurance have Road Assistance? It's cheap, usually $10 a year, and will get your bike to the nearest repair facility. You should think about investing in a tire repair kit with plugs and CO2 cartridges in case you get a flat out on the road in some remote area. You have to think like a Boy Scout, "Be Prepared".

Your puncture is probably too close to the edge to effectively take a plug or patch long term. Replace it.

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
For motorcycle tires, a patch is a much safer repair instead of a plug. To patch a tire, it must be removed from the rim since the patch attaches to the inner carcass of the tire.

Since your stock rubber has 6,000+ miles on it, I would probably put new tires on and save your existing set as a spare. Patch the rear tire yourself, and keep it if there's sufficient tread left.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and LOL at Pete's Cycle in MD. I asked about the Continental Road Attacks and they actually want MORE than the list price! They quoted me $159 for the front and $205 for the back. Motosport has them BOTH and shipped free for $266. But they did say they would put them on if I brought them myself and not charge me anything extra aside from the $75 installation for each tire. I know some shops hit you up for some $ if they are working with new parts that they did not sell you. Looks like those tires have gotten some good reviews on here. Think I'm going to plug her up and brave the 10 mile journey to the shop.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and LOL at Pete's Cycle in MD. I asked about the Continental Road Attacks and they actually want MORE than the list price! They quoted me $159 for the front and $205 for the back. Motosport has them BOTH and shipped free for $266. But they did say they would put them on if I brought them myself and not charge me anything extra aside from the $75 installation for each tire. I know some shops hit you up for some $ if they are working with new parts that they did not sell you. Looks like those tires have gotten some good reviews on here. Think I'm going to plug her up and brave the 10 mile journey to the shop.

Did their prices include installation? If so, you'd be better off buying from the Pete's since their total would be $364 and buying from Motosport will cost you a total of $416 installed. I know this is obvious and you would know it, but I figured it would not hurt to make sure. Either way, $75 mounting per tire is outrageous. Seems like you should be able to find a small shop or a guy who does it on the side in his garage for less. Last time I got tires mounted it was $30 per tire. I did have to take the wheels off, but that is not too hard.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Their price did not include installation, it would be full list price on the tires PLUS $75 for each tire. I called another place and their rates were actually higher per tire if you brought in tires you bought somewhere else. So looks like my best bet is to order them online and then drop $150 for the installation. Sucks, but I just don't have the know-how to do it myself and I don't even want to touch removing the rear tire with a 10 meter cattle prod. But I will patch the rear and keep it with the front tire for spares as they certainly do have some life left in them. Such is life...

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered a pair of Conti Road-Attacks from Motosport for $252 shipped free. Thought that was a pretty good deal. The installation makes this a $400 adventure but again I just don't have the tools or talent to do it. It is what it is now, gotta say I am really looking forward to the new shoes :sinister:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Tires are, by far, the most expensive aspect of running a sportbike. That's just the way it is. Sometimes you have bad luck and get a flat in a place where it can't be repaired. Such is life.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Far as I'm concerned, it's a calling sign from God to repalce both tires!

Believe it or not, tires have a shelf life and they will lose it's grip over time. Not so much of a concern on vehicles, but when you only have two you better make sure they are good! All tires should have a date stamp on the sidewall. When you buy new ones, double check the date that you are assuring yourself getting "Fresh Tires"

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
You may just yank off the rear, take it to the shop and have a new one mounted, take it home and reinstall it, then ride down for a new front one if you want one.
I too recently had a rear flat. (It had a large roofing screw in it, right in the center of the tire and it went in flat on it's side) I too, will not plug one on a bike. Good luck whatever you do.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can stick a plug in it to take it to the shop for replacement. Ive done it and it was farther than 10 miles.

Like everyone else has said replacing both is the best plan and a great upgrade from the stock bricks that are called tires

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
$75 for mounting each tyre!!!!!!!! thats crazy is it just a USA thing for charging that much? where i work we will fit and balance a tyre for free if it is bought from us and just a rim, and for like 20 bucks if still on the bike and bought from us, if bought somwhere else and us fit it they get full labor

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this happened to me last month when i brought the bike out of winter storage.. i eneded up replacing both. costs a bit more, but new tires are alot of fun.. good luck

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Their price did not include installation, it would be full list price on the tires PLUS $75 for each tire.

I figured as much but had to ask.

I called another place and their rates were actually higher per tire if you brought in tires you bought somewhere else. So looks like my best bet is to order them online and then drop $150 for the installation.

Maybe call a third place? I wouldn't want to go to the first place on principle since they charge full list price for the tires plus $75 to mount. Of course I woudn't go to the second if they charge even more to mount per tire than the first.

Sucks, but I just don't have the know-how to do it myself and I don't even want to touch removing the rear tire with a 10 meter cattle prod. But I will patch the rear and keep it with the front tire for spares as they certainly do have some life left in them. Such is life...

I don't mean to harangue you over this, I just hate to see a fellow rider spend that much. But you have to do what you are comfortable doing, enjoy your new tires!

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bike back yesteday with the Conti Road Attacks... all I can say is WOW. It really is like a new bike. The first corner I took scared the sh$t out of me, the bike just wanted to lean right into that turn. Can't wait to break these things in and really have some fun in the turns. It's like night and day from the stock tires. Just... no more nails please!! Ugh. I WILL cry if and when that happens again. That is going to get expensive.