Pirelli Angel ????

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so thanks to the wonderful nail in my rear tire (has 7k on it) i am in the market for a new tire. I have pirelli strada's and thought that they held up pretty good. I hear things about the angels but was wondering if anyone had a bit of long term testing/review for me.

also, the front tire (also a strada with 7k on it) should i replace it?? just to keep it the same type of tire? thanks all :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BUY THEM!!!! these tires are awsome.. for the riding i do (touring and twisties) i am loving them.. prolly have about 500-700 miles on them now and im blown away how much better they are then my strada's.. grip is amazing.. can't comment on rain riding because i havent had them out in the rain, but i expect them to handle about the same as dry.. hope this helps :thumbup:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
7000km so far & they have not missed a beat. Ive done torrential rain & knee scraping adventures. They are not as sticky as a full on sports tyre but they certainly hold their own.
The Pirelli Angel ST is a great all round tyre. The biggest bonus is their wear. Ive done some serious KMs now & they look nearly new. A mate dropped round 2 weeks ago & I asked him how old they looked. He said barley scrubbed in, 1500 to 2000km old.

If you do a lot of miles & cant afford to be fitting new tyres every 5000km I couldn't recommend these highly enough :thumbup:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can also check out the new Metzeler M5, reading a review in the latest Rapid magazine here they rated them very highly.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had new rubber(s) :D :BLAA: put on - Shinko 005s (approx. $140 each). I can't 'splain it but my Fizzer feels like it's on rails! I don't remember it feeling this way when I first rode the bike (2008, 0.5 miles when I picked it up) or even up to the time I had the stock tires replaced. Talk about inspiring confidence...I'm now feeling a bit more daring leaning the bike around corners at speed and it's AWESOME :Flash: :cheer: The stocks felt, hmmmmmm, how to express it...a bit "muddled/not as crisp/grippy" feeling (???).

I did a little research on the Shinko brand and it looks like these used to be Yokohama's motorcycle brand which wasn't doing so well, so Shinko bought them (the mcycle tire stuff, that is).

I don't think you'll be disappointed with these - especially at the price! ;)

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I now have Angels on board. Too early to rate them for you guys but they look awesome and will no doubt last longer than the stockers. I only got 6500 miles before I could not longer pass state inspection on the factory tires. Just had them mounted today at the local Ducati/Triumph dealer. So of course I had to test drive the 2010 Multistrada and a 2010 Tiger SE while waiting.

Coming off an inline four cylinder, the Ducati Testrastretta sounded like farm equipment to me. I just wasnt "moved" like I thought I would be. The bike has lots of gadgetry but not enough to justify it's price tag. Overall I just didn't have the proper appreciation for the bike that I expected I would.

Now the Triumph with that speed triple was friggen awesome. It just sounded great, pulled easy and had a very smooth and wide powerband. If I dont find something else (like perhaps an FZ1) that trips my trigger I can see myself on the Tiger next season.

I'll report back in after a few hundred miles on the Angels.

J

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates from Angel owners? How is the steering compared to your stock tyres? And how quickly do they warm up?

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!
I have the Angel's for 10.000km now, mostly out of town usage on trips. These tires were perfect right from the beginning. Compared to the the factory ones, I must say they're ages better.

Handling is very good, even at high speeds, cornering is awesome for an ST tire, provided that they're in good temperature. It actually takes up to 5kms on a sunny day, before they get to temperature and I must say that when cold, they're a bit hard, so the rider has to keep that in mind....

The great surprise is in rain, you can barely tell the difference between dry and wet.

Pirelli claims that you can understand when the tire is worn out by the graph representing the angel, that turns to devil. Every time I look at it, I always see the devil's face, I don't exactly understand how that's supposed to work.

They last long, and performance is very good. They look nice and feel comfortable adding a sense of safety at the rider.

I recommend them myself. :thumbup:

IMAGE_115.jpg

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a fresh set of Angel STs fitted as I type, looking forward to the ride home. I haven't run a sport-touring tyre (other than the stocker I quickly replaced) for years. I don't mind longer warm up times, just hopeful they have good grip on fast and bumpy corners, and my main goal is that they steer quicker than the Pilot Pures that, if you saw my post in that thread, I simply couldn't get working on my bike whatsoever. Update to follow soon!

Skeebo

Reaction score
Visit site
I slapped on some Angel ST's a month back, and they handle tremendously. You just have to be sure to warm them up properly as everyone else is saying. The other day, I had to slam on the brakes when a light turned yellow and I experienced a bit of sliding from the back tire. This was about a quarter mile from my apartment, so with the tires warm, I am confident this wouldn't have happened.

The steering is a lot more responsive than the stock tires, which you'll notice immediately after you put on the new shoes. I don't do any hardcore riding, but I do enjoy some West Austin twisties every now and then, and have NEVER experience any slippage. Buy these tires with confidence, as they perform great in both dry and wet conditions, and will last you a long while.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got similar slippage 20kms into a ride with the 020s (stock on mine) I had! Crazy. Happy to cop a bit of that within 5km but after that it should be warm hey. We've had rave reviews on the Angels here at work, including one who has them on his FZ1. I've got high hopes :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything better than new tyres? Ha. Ok the Angels have rectified the understeering issues I had with the Pures. What a relief. The bike now turns as it should, ie very quickly and precisely. I can't attest to grip or warm-up as it was a steady commute home and am still obviously wearing the wax off.

But my main concern was turn-in and they've already shown how nimble they are. Funnily enough the bike is far easier to walk, wheeling it in my driveway. The Pures were that bad for me! Same pressures, 36/38.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did about 700miles between yesterday and today.. yesterday it rained for about 1/2 of my time on the bike.. the wet grip is amazing.. felt like they werent even on wet roads.. I love these tires more and more...