R1 Shock Questions

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found a 2000 to 2001 R1 shock on Ebay last night for $40.00. I'd read Bill's and Defy's posts on the install and it doesn't seem to hard to do. I am a little puzzled on how to make the "shim/spacers" It seems to me a very hard metal is needed so it doesn't deform over time. What did you guys use? Also, does the shock spring work well, or is an aftermarket spring a better idea, maybe a progressive one? I weigh 175lbs w/o gear. Also, it this thing rebuildable and does is make sence to rebuild it?

As always - thanks in advance!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can wait a week or two I'll have answers to all your questions....

At 170 w/out gear I'm thinking the spring will work well for me but the first step will be to check the sag which I can't do currently (see below)

I'm also having trouble finding the sleeve(s) for the top which is the only thing holding me back.

That's a nice looking shock at a good price...I'd buy it if I were you...you can always sell it for the same or more. It's way more likely that you'll just do the mod.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can wait a week or two I'll have answers to all your questions....

At 170 w/out gear I'm thinking the spring will work well for me but the first step will be to check the sag which I can't do currently (see below)

I'm also having trouble finding the sleeve(s) for the top which is the only thing holding me back.

That's a nice looking shock at a good price...I'd buy it if I were you...you can always sell it for the same or more. It's way more likely that you'll just do the mod.

Cool beans, thanks. I went ahead a bought it. $40.00 is a heck of a deal for a good quality shock.

I'll stay tuned...