r1 shocks on fs6 2004

mikeyboy3175

Reaction score
Visit site
r1 forks on fz6 2004

hi am new at this so here we go fz6 2004 bit of a dog when I got it but first big bike so all good Blah cleaned up last winter ready for passing big bike test
all good love this bike it great so now I want to mod and rebuild

1 stripped bike degreased and jet washed resprayed black engine and frame newer subframe black with removable rear foot rests newer swing arm black
refitted engine swing arm and engine now doing r1 shock convertion switched stem into r1 lower yoke with shim to make a better fit when it came to top yoke grinded away to make barrel fit wih spacers to mount barrel so I could still use steering lock ball ache:D stering stops drill and tap alloy block to front of frame to limit steering ball ache :Flash: and now need to make alloy collar inner 22mm outer 27 mm depth 14mm to take clearance on top yoke stem a lot of modding required to fit these forks but will be worth it in the end that's were am up to give me strength :confused:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm - thread title implies R1 Shock :confused: I see what you did there! :D
EDIT: This is why I thought you were after the Shock vs the Fork -->> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-performance-mods-section/53930-r1-fork-convertion.html your other post on the topic.

FWIW: The shock can be used successfully. However you'll get the most from it if you revalve the shock and install an adjustable collar! If you just use it as is, grab the S/A and keep the link. Then the valving can be left alone and replace the spring for the fizzers extra load!

>>CLICK>> Otherwise it nearly bolts in as is....

IMG_20130329_142736_789WEB_zps6752db4f.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: hi sorry for that iv eddited it now but am glad i did i like the rear shock mod :thumbup: may be next on list cool .

The guy that re-valved my shock hit a home run on the first go round. If you choose to take that path, you need to give the tweaker all the info you can about what it does as is and what you want it to do.

In this case its being used in a direct action mode and it lacks proper damping control as is. You must increase fluid flow and control so the valving is back in a usable range of operation.

Perhaps its been long enough now that my builder dude will release the recipe so others can give it a go....

FROM: Rear shock alternatives; How to install R1 Shock w/pic
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-alternatives-how-install-r1-shock-w-pic.html
Technical details: (place holder for now)

To tailor the shock to our bike the shocks internal valving needs reworked. Once the spring is off and the nitrogen is bled off the shock body can come apart. Behind this nut is the metering orifices, valves, and shims stack that control the oil flow when the piston moves in the body. The opposing ends of the shocks body have the user adjustable valves to tailor the rate of compression and rebound travel.

IMG_20130327_105806_898WEB_zps820765ca.jpg

IMG_20130327_105815_802WEB_zps55583172.jpg

When I get the details of "What was changed" internally to the valving I'll edit this and add them should someone wish to have their suspension guy rework their shock. But its primarily about adding/removing shims to tailor the rate at which oil flows through the piston to the other side.

2013-06-03, I'm going to try and keep the TOP TWO POSTS with all the FACTS. What do you need to do to make this work. Other posts below this point will be details of how and why I did what I did. So if you want the details, I may have them below.

Suchdankverymemes

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'm late to the party, but did your shock guy ever let his secrets go? I just got myself an R1 shock and I'd really love to set it up properly.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He never did. Matter of fact he still has a shock of mine!
Talk w you person and if they understand valving & damping needs, chances are they can get it pretty close.
I know oil used was slightly higher viscosity and the charge was more than stock to reduce aeration.
Mine is still working good but the dang bump stop is deteriorating. I might have to pull it to fix that.
-sigh-

Suchdankverymemes

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! I've talked to 4 different shops, but all the "suspension guys" in my town know how to do is install racetech valve kits. I've never been so disappointed in the knowledge and skills required to be a tech.
Would you happen to know where to purchase a new bump stop? And if you did dig into your shock, would you please make a new or updated post with pictures, shim sizes and locations?
This is the poor man's rear shock holy grail, and I'd love to share with the other FZ guys I know. And thanks for responding to a multi-year old thread. :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That was pure luck timing wise that it was in recent posts when I did a random visit... =)

Last I looked small parts were still available new; i.e. bump stops, bladder, seals, piston wiper.

The bumper degrading gives me reason to contact him.
I'll post up if anything good comes of it.