How *not* to clean and lube your chain

07FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden bikes for nearly ten years, and tried all kinds of ways to clean and lube a chain. This summer I worked in a motorcycle shop and found an invaluable product for our bikes.

My reason for posting this is I hear so many people doing it the hard way, and I stumbled upon this incident, and thought I better tell people my easy and SAFE secret!

DISCLAIMER: Do not click the link if you have a weak stomach or can't stand blood and injury.

How NOT to clean your chain. **GRAPHIC PICS*** : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Now that we have that out of the way, here is how I do mine, and I still have all my fingers.

I use a product called Clean up, it is easy to find at most local bike shops. I take my bike to the car wash, put it on the center stand, and use my hand to move the rear tire while applying a decent amount of this to the chain. It also works very well on wheels, and other dirty METAL areas of the bike. I dont trust it on Painted surfaces, but it may be ok. After a minute or two I spray it off with the high pressure rinse and I have chain and sprocket that looks brand new.

hbf297.jpg

Now you can lube the chain. Use whatever you prefer, or use the Chain wax like I do. I hate oil based chain lubes that make a mess, and attract dirt. I ride the bike home from the car wash to warm the chain, then up on the center stand it goes, I start the engine, put it in first gear and slowly get the rear tire moving (if your bike can move the tire a little in neutral that is a much better option) I very carefully spray it on the chain from the top, then the outer side, then the inner side. I like to over do it a little with the chain wax, and it has never given me any issues. Just keep the can at least an inch away from any moving parts.

kkl206.jpg

And you are done! Look how easy it was!

I forgot to take a before shot, but here is my chain and sprocket after the process. They have just over 10,000 miles on them in the picture, and I see no wear on the sprocket, the chain is still quiet, and I am not constantly adjusting the chain so it seems to be holding up well. I will replace them soon just for the peace of mind

s3f4qv.jpg

For more info on these products, visit:
Maxima Racing Usa - Clean Up

Last edited by a moderator:

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: How to Safely, and VERY easily clean and lube your chain

I have been using chain wax for years. I would not go back to the other lubricants. It cleans off soooo easily and the chain and sprockets last longer ( I have 20000 km on my chain and sprockets and can't see much wear at all). It is also easier to clean off back wheel. I have found that you need to apply it when the chain is warm for best results, but that is easy I apply it after coming home from a ride.
It can be hard to get in OZ but worth the effort.
Regards Bazza

coiled

Reaction score
Visit site

I use one of these. It cleans the chain thoroughly without any mess or fuss. I have the basic one without the bag so I just have a beer and use the empty :D

kettenmax.at

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site

Let me get this straight your "safe" way involves running the engine to lube the chain.

Far safer turning the rear wheel by hand, any situation that places you near the driven chain is bad.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm with alanrim... NO ONE is safe running the bike while doing any work on the chain. :eek: You even posted a link that shows why this is the case!?!? :rolleyes:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

Don't run the bike's engine while cleaning the chain.

It doesn't matter that you're spraying instead of wiping with a rag. All it takes is one second of inattention, or losing your balance as you squat next to the bike, a sneeze, a dog sticking his cold wet nose into your exposed buttcrack (it's happened to me, it can happen to you) or another random event, and your hand will be in the chain.

You should NEVER EVER EVER work on a vehicle while it is running.*

Fred

* Unless you're setting the ignition timing.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Don't run the bike's engine while cleaning the chain.

It doesn't matter that you're spraying instead of wiping with a rag. All it takes is one second of inattention, or losing your balance as you squat next to the bike, a sneeze, a dog sticking his cold wet nose into your exposed buttcrack (it's happened to me, it can happen to you) or another random event, and your hand will be in the chain.

You should NEVER EVER EVER work on a vehicle while it is running.*

Fred

* Unless you're setting the ignition timing.

*Or a TB sync

Also never use a high pressure water hose on the chain. If water gets past the O rings your chain is doomed.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site

Also never use a high pressure water hose on the chain. If water gets past the O rings your chain is doomed.

Was going to say the same thing... I'd like to try the product, but I would never rinse a chain with water under pressure. It's way too easy to get water in the O-rings, then your chain is done in short order. Simple hose pressure should be more than sufficient.

And definitely agree with not running the engine to spray on. Not much harder to spin the wheel by hand.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

I use one of these. It cleans the chain thoroughly without any mess or fuss. I have the basic one without the bag so I just have a beer and use the empty :D

kettenmax.at

I'm usually not a big fan of scrubbers for chains.... I don't like the fact that the bristles might defeat the O rings. This setup, with the correctly sized brushes on all four sides of the links (side plates, and rollers top and bottom) really seems to be well thought out.

Spendy, I would think.... expecially if you go with the S100 chemicals to clean and preserve.

What solvent do you use with yours? How about the preservative as well?

You bought the 'basic' model, and trimmed the brushes?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

someone should change the subject line of this thread so a noob doesnt try this and lose fingers.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

I, along with some others here, am reticent to lube a chain while it's running and in gear. Why not just spin it with your hand? But, that's just me. Beware noobies about working near a running chain! And this is coming from somebody who sometimes takes chances, i.e., eschew wearing a helmet while on beachtown scooter. I wonder if a motorcycle passenger has ever gotten something caught (shoelaces, pant cuffs, etc.) in a drive chain. Yeeeks!

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the tip on a chain cleaner, but I think turning the wheel by hand would be the safer option. Doc

kevlarian

Reaction score
Visit site

I think you are crazy if you use anything other than Dupont Teflon Multi-purpose Lube. This stuff ROCKS and is rated #1 on WebBikeWorld.

There is ZERO fling. It protects like you wouldn't believe. It is clear. And it has an added benefit of actually CLEANING your chain as you apply it.

The last chain I had lasted 24k mile. I used this stuff almost exclusively. Once again, +1

Ricko

Reaction score
Visit site

Jimmeny Krickets! I didn't think it would be that bad.. Super Cringe...

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site

i strongly suggest not running the bike at all. just get it on the stand put it in neutral and spin the tire by hand. its really not worth the risk to have it in gear. if your fingers get caught or it it falls off the stand. just not worth it to me

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site

I use the same stuff and got 24,000 miles out of mine with a cleaning and lube every 500 miles!

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi,

Does any of these cleaning products damage or remove rimtape? I recently cleaned my chain the hard way, I am scared that the cleaner liwuids might damage the rimtape???

Thanks

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site

I just ordered the cleaner. Never used it before so I will give it a try. + always use chain wax

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Using a high pressure spray on the chain?

Lubing the chain while the engine is running and the bike is in gear?

Driving back and forth to the car wash = easy?

someone should change the subject line of this thread so a noob doesnt try this and lose fingers.

done (no offense to the OP)

Last edited: