Potential FZ6 owner looking for a test ride.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Hi all. First post here.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here. I'm interested in buying a Yamaha FX6 to replace my 93 BMW R100RS (For Sale). I've sat on one at the local bike shop, but they don't do test rides. (Who buys a bike without riding it first?)

I have concerns about comfort, as I am 6'2" tall and have a slipped disk in my back. I can't tell about comfort unless I'm going down the highway on the bike.

And I'm curious about the throttle response on these bikes. I've read many reviews claiming that the 06 and earlier bikes had a problem coming off of closed throttle. I've also read that the 07 and later bikes have a new EFI system with new mapping.

What I'd really like to do is to take an 07 or 08 FZ6 out for a ride.

I'm in Austin, TX. I'm an experienced rider, can afford to buy an FZ6 for cash, and have been on bikes since 1998 or so. I'd be happy to hand you a check for the amount of your insurance deductible and let you follow in my car or however you'd like to follow. I'm not looking to thrash somebody's motorcycle. I'm just interested in getting a feel for the bike before I go out and buy one. This means 20 or so miles up and down the highway at a fairly constant speed to simulate what I'd be doing on a long distance trip, and a couple of corners taken at sane speeds to see how the bike behaves.

Yeah, it's a shot in the dark, but if you don't ask, the answer will always be "No."

I'd also like to hear from anyone who's ridden both an early FZ6 and the 07+ FZ6. In your opinion, were the EFI problems fixed?

Sincerely,
Fred Scott

W

wrightme43

Welcome Welcome Glad your here.
Fred have you explained that to your dealer? I have let one very good friend ride my bike for 10 minutes in 12500 miles. Somebody might, but I bet if you ask to talk to the sales manager, explain the deal, work up a deal, say the only thing keeping me from signing the paper work is a two hour test ride, or I can keep looking for a dealership that will.
Its nothing personal, I just have a problem with my back, I have to test ride it.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Fred have you explained that to your dealer?

One Yamaha dealership local to me said that they might be willing to let me ride one, but only for about 15 miles. And they want me to ride the one I'll be buying since they don't want high mileages on their new bikes. Like you said, they'll only do it if it's the difference between selling and not selling.

So I do have an option for a test ride, assuming that they get an 08 in black in for me to ride.

Fred

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
Come to ND, I'll let you ride one all day. :thumbup: Course I'd come along on my other bike and we'd make a day of it showing you God's country.

On edit: I just had a peek at your site and saw the K75. Maybe you want to ride my GS too? :)

Last edited:

Zebratounge

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine after seeing one in the brochure from Yamaha. It had everything I wanted. The first time I rode it was after the dealer prep. they filled it with gas and said here you go. I rode out of there with a big grin, and have not been able to wipe it off.
You will not be disappointed with the FZ6.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good luck with the purchase, i'm a bit out of range for you but it sounds like there are some options for you.

As far as comfort though i would have to say that the FZ is the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden, and i have ridden aprox. 20 different bikes.

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I researched my purchase for a month online... then went to the dealership and asked the sales dude if he minded if I sat on the bike... for a while. Well I sat upon the centerstand for about 15 minutes (yea I got some strange looks), simulated driving it (since they would not let me test drive). Then left and came back the next day, paid cash and drove it home. :thumbup:

Never a regret :Sport:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan this as an everyday driver to work. Comfort is 2nd to fuel milage. Any more comfortable seats I can buy? I may travel a lot during the summer (highway) and don't want to stop because me a** hurts. :)