Bottom fairing + frame sliders = impossible?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I set my mind on doing some modifications on my '05 FZ6. What I now have in mind is first to get the frame sliders. I'm going to need them sooner or later anyway, I'm afraid. But on the other hand a bottom fairing would be oh, so nice. (Appearance is everything...? ;) )

So is it going to work? The bottom fairing covers the place where the frame sliders attach. And I really don't like the idea of cutting that fairing into pieces, if it's even possible to so.

Any suggestions?

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed frame sliders on my bike but I dont have the lower fairing so it was easy... Post some pictures.... I dont think the bottom fairing will interfere... Boneman... this looks like one for you to answer..... My sliders attached to the upper engine attach bolts....

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I have in mind:

TCPBottomFairingFZ604-06.jpg

It looks like the fairing doesn't need to be attached to the same bolts as the sliders, but it covers the spot. So the sliders would need a hole in the fairing. And then I should find sliders that are long enough to come out of the frame with the fairing on.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders

Hey Bren...looks like you will have to cut the fairing... for sliders that mount on the lower engine mount.....sux to have to do that thou

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, tell me about it. Just hate to buy a part that is not very cheap and then for the first thing cut it in to pieces.

Now I just have to find a place to get one. The manufacturer for that one in the pic is TCP. Luckily they have many dealers in Europe, choosing one shouldn't be too difficult. And some of the dealers even had the right kind of frame sliders meant to be used with that fairing.

But please tell me, what is the difference between FZ6 and FZ6 Fazer? Or is there any difference? I understood that the fairing ought to fit only the latter. (I'm a bit confused)

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
This is pretty common with the FJR. You might need to get a spacer and a longer bolt from the hardware store (make sure to get top quality stuff) to make it work without having to drill a large hole. The problem with this method is that more stress is put on the bolt on impact and it will likely bend. Some give and take there...

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I sent an email to TCP Holland about that fairing and the sliders they have. I understood that if I purchase the fairing and the sliders as a package, holes for the sliders will be ready in the fairing. Hope so. We'll see what the outcome will be when I get the reply.

In some pictures I saw, TCP's sliders seemed to be long enough to actually work.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
I sent an email to TCP Holland about that fairing and the sliders they have. I understood that if I purchase the fairing and the sliders as a package, holes for the sliders will be ready in the fairing. Hope so. We'll see what the outcome will be when I get the reply.

In some pictures I saw, TCP's sliders seemed to be long enough to actually work.

Oh! Well if they build sliders to go with it, that should work great, and that they pre-drill makes it all a piece of cake! Let us know how well those lowers keep the wind off you legs and post pics :)

W

wrightme43

+1 on that. I would love to see a full bike shot with the full fairings. I will have to get those as soon as I build up my play funds again.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the reply today. Apparently they don't have those sliders I saw in their web pages. They suggested a pair of LSL-sliders with those above mentioned longer bolts. Which don't seem too impact proof by the way.

What amuses me the most is that with their prices it's cheaper to buy those parts from some dealer in US. :eek: Great! First ship the parts from Europe to US and then back...

Oh well, I'll just have to ask for a better price, 'cause that was one expensive piece of plastic.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Colour-code?

OK, here's the update:

Because of that stupid little school-thingy (yes, I'm talking about the thesis) I haven't had much time to think about the fairing. Anyway, now I'm waiting to get the order form to place the order. And for that I'm going to need the colour-code of the bike. On some pages it said that the code is DPBML 856 (deep purplish blue metallic L) and on another one it said that under the seat is a tag where the code is mentioned. From there I got the code 5XY6-030 (or something like that).

Do you guys have any experience on these? That first one might be only for the American models.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
the frame sliders that came on my bike are different than any others ive seen.
instead of being directly over the frame bolt, they have a little bracket that lowers them a couple inches. it looks like they might work with the fairing without having to cut it up.
soory, i dont know who makes the sliders.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the pictures. I was just about to ask but you were faster. :)

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally ready!

Well, here it is. It takes some time to get used to it but I think it looks fine. I'll post some more pictures on the How To -section when I have more time. Oh, and the fairing was clean when I left from work today. Just my luck that the roads were wet.