Boxes for the bike

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the black '08 and I was wondering what the best hard boxes were for riding two up. I would rather not spend an arm and a leg. Any info would be great. Need more space than just a backpack for some long hauls. A back rest would be beneficial, but not required.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha do a rack and top-box that is almost identical to the Givi. Wolfman has it, and the thing looks and works great. The rack bolts-on to the grab-rails, then the case locks to the rack.

:)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the black '08 and I was wondering what the best hard boxes were for riding two up. I would rather not spend an arm and a leg. Any info would be great. Need more space than just a backpack for some long hauls. A back rest would be beneficial, but not required.

I would recommend the Givi V35 side cases and a Givi V46 topcase with backrest (E52 topcase is also very popular on here). Check twistedthrottle for pics (and sometimes for the right mounting racks), but I strongly suggest going with sporttour.com for the cases (superfast shipping and cheaper than nearly anywhere else - shipping on their cases is also FREE).

They DO cost an arm and a leg though..... I've had the topcase for a while and LOVE it. I don't even notice it's there. I just got the side cases. If you have to pick - definitely go with a topcase first. Much cheaper than the side cases and more practical.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't agree with D-Mac more. I've got the Givi V46 topcase and the Givi topcase mounting kit and it works great. It's been on my FZ6 for two years with absolutely no problems. The mount is as solid as the day I mounted it and the case, which I bring in the house while the bike is parked and covered outside, hasn't ever had one issue. I use it everyday, and the locking mechanism hasn't failed me once either. I'm telling you, Givi makes some quality products!

Here's a shot of my setup:

IMG_2368.jpg

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm reading the info on the site correctly... How much is the top case, side luggage, and mounting kit? Also, stumbles, how much is the yamie product? Also, if you just do the side cases, do you have to get something instead of the top box?

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm reading the info on the site correctly... How much is the top case, side luggage, and mounting kit? Also, stumbles, how much is the yamie product? Also, if you just do the side cases, do you have to get something instead of the top box?

V35's are about $500. Top case is about $250-300. PLX side rack for the V35 is $170 and I think it's about another $150-170 for the top part of the rack. If you just do the side cases then you have $500 for the sidecases, $170 for the PLX rack and then you need a $30-40 adapter that goes in place of the top rack. You can't mount the rack without the adapter or the top rack. The part number for the top adapter is 351KIT.

so you're looking at about $1k for the whole setup. Save $300-400 by not doing the top.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked high and low on the yamaha site and couldn't find anything. Maybe just my lack of Inet capability showing. Could you throw on a link?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are a rip-off though. Had to stop looking at the Yamaha site, the prices are ridiculous.

$750 for heated hand-grips.
$350 for Yamaha sliders
$400 for a seat cowl :eek:

Why can't they be at least a little bit competitive in the pricing... they'd get a hell of a lot more sales :banghead:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked high and low on the yamaha site and couldn't find anything. Maybe just my lack of Inet capability showing. Could you throw on a link?

Argh crap. The link I put before didn't work, and I just looked at the dot com site, and the top boxes aren't on there.

On the Aussie site, click on "Bolt-on accesories", then on left side click on "Sport" under the motorcycles section, then click on your bike FZ6N/S.

Sorry about the links on the first post, they don't link properly

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, wear a big backpack, that way the girl has something to hang on to, and strap gymbags to the grabrail and rope them to the pass peg brackets... Worked for me before. Maybe not the most stable thing, but worked for a 45 minute 60mph run to college.