entrance to the RC world

What should i get?

• Total voters

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
winters rolling around and im looking to getting into RC either helicopter or plane

im leaning more towards helicopter as they are cheaper and i dont really have the area to fly a plane

so what do you think i should do? any suggestions as to a model? id prefer a Heli with a tail rotor if were talking heli.

thanks

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the largest heli you can afford,the bigger heli's are more stable than the smaller ones,the small heli's require precise control and little or no wind.My dad has a Blade CP Pro, small, nimble, and fairly cheap, but it's a very fickle heli,not a first timers heli.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Helicopters are cool, but planes will be cheaper and quicker to start. Any areas where you could slope fly? You ride the wind coming up the hill. Many planes are made from EPP foam and are nearly indestructible, so good way to learn and no messy fuel ($$$). Plus you can get a few buds and do air-to-air combat!
Do you have any RC experience? Before I ever flew I found an RC simulator for the PC that helped tremendously for things like reversing the controls when the model is coming at you.

Regarding planes, here's a few good models to search on the Internet:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]ZAGI

BOOMERANG from FRANK CAVAZOS MODEL CRAFTS[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]MUSTANG F-51 from DAVE'S AIRCRAFT WORKS,[/FONT]

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I'll put it like this, I have both... I can fly my CX2, my CP pro cost me $270 I've spent about $600 on crash repairs and it's broken right now. I still can't fly it. my planes I can fly (most of the time) I'm dialing in a new BH models Piper J-3 Cub right now, that I had a bad maiden flight with, but to do the repairs cost me about $6 in balsa wood and monokote. heli's are cool, but WAY more complicated to fly and set up. good luck!!!:D

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't own any RC stuff, but I was thinking about getting one of the cheap battery operated helicopters you can fly indoors as well.

I figure you learn on something like that, that you can crash alot without destroying it and then when you get your eye / hand coordination up to speed, move up the the real RC models if you really enjoy it. Cause if you decide you really don't enjoy it you haven't spent alot of cash to find out.

J

jsteinb95

Planes, all the way!!!

The Super Cub!
ParkZone
I think it's $160 RTF. I learned how to fly with this....it's a great plane.

D

D-Rock

Get a Blade CX2. They are really fun to fly. I took mine out on the fridge the other night so now im broke until I get some new blades.

The revo is fun to.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
get a helicopter. Can be flown indoors if you have a large enough space...aeroplanes will require a LARGE area and if its snowing you may not want to be outside.

I have the Twister Hawk helicopter and its superb! :)

Last edited:

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks everyone, im now even more torn as to what way i will go :thumbup:
that super cub looks really fun and im sure i will eventually get one of each

btw i flew a glide plane for a while but never got out enough to perfect the art

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I've had both. From my experience, I was more able to fly the plane from the get-go than the helicopter. Don't get me wrong, both are quite enjoyable, but if you want to start off slow and get almost immediate satisfaction, a low-end plane might be your best bet. My first simple plane was the HobbyTown USA | HBZ7000 Firebird Freedom RTF Electric. It was quick to charge, and was off and flying on the first try.

As for helicopters, they need a substantial amount of control and adjustment as compared to planes. I can't remember the model that I currently have (it's a cheap one though), but getting it to do more than hover and land properly without crashing was a substantial learning curve for me. If you do decide to go with a heli, make sure that you get a beginner one with collapsable wings. This way if you crash (and you will, over and over again), there's less likely a chance that you'll be out of pocket on replacement parts.

I know this probably wasn't much help, but I guess any little bit helps.

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
that super cub looks awesome and its probably going to get that one looks like fun but a heli wouldn't be off the list yet but if i do buy one id just cut to the 100 and under price range

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
For a beginner heli pilot, I'd recommend a heli w/ counter-rotating blades, like the Blade CX2. They're very stable, and are great for indoor flight around your garage or the local gym. Much easier to fly than a "standard" fixed or variable pitch helicopter.

I'd also recommend sinking the cash on a good RC Flight simulator. You can train on your computer, and they'll save you *lots* of money on repair costs. With a sim, it doesn't cost you to crash :thumbup:

I'm using Phoenix (Professional model flight simulation), I like their support and upgrade policy (buy it once, and upgrades and enhancements are free for life). You do have to have your own transmitter for it though. If you don't already have a radio, "RealFlight" (RealFlight® R/C Flight Simulator) is very slick software as well. It comes with a USB "radio" that you plug into your machine. That saves wear & tear on your real radio. If you have a HobbyTown USA near by, they will likely have a demo station set up running RealFlight.

Good luck & be safe,
~Scott

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
about the simulators i found a free one were i plug in a xbox 360 contoler and use the joysticks wtich is great cuze it was all free

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
Right so after much thought and frustration i grabbed a hobby zone supper cub and will be flying it first thing tomorrow a great set ive got here as there is 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground to cushion any unscheduled landings

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to get into R/C planes but knew I'd crash my first one without knowing how to fly. Didn't want to see $200-300+ dollars destroyed right off the bat so instead I bought RealFlight G2 on ebay for about $80 used. I recently upgraded to G4 so I still have the G2 controller and software lying around if you're interested in it.

Regardless I think you may want some simulator time first. That said if you want the real thing first....based on my experience with the simulator planes are way easier to fly than heli's. That's why I voted plane.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
HAHA, i knew I'd dind this corner eventually!! every guys site has one :thumbup:

If you're just starting of in R/C id reccomend getting a plane, a really good forgiving trainer, with plenty of dihedral and a big angle of attack on the wings, this ensures it climbs and stays up-right naturally, so if you get into bother, take your fingers/thumbs of the sticks and it will right itself (providing its not nose down at about 20 foot in the air....

I started YEARS ago when I was 12, I had a tank of a trainer called the "BIG-T" I cant remember who made it but it was pretty much indestructable, which is good for your first venture into R/C flying, trust me!, I flew that thing full throttle (MDS .61cu BLACK TOP) into trees, the ground, drystone walls, and within a couple of hours in the shed i was ready to fly again.

I had many planes after this, all progressively more aerobatic, until I finished school and started work (my last build is still an uncovered skeleton in the garage 12 years later!!)

Helis are fun but if you're gonna fly them, get a simulator (the Phoenix is the dogs boswolox) they can hook up to most modern Tx with a buddylead facility, so you can practice flying with your regular Tx.

Watching heli pilots is soooooooooooooo misleading!! Its about 1000% harder than it looks.

Happy flying!!

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to get a RC bike! I've allways wanted one but never found any for a decent price.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took a course through BOCES when I got into the planes. They use the big planes, they are forgiving etc. I have two of them.. My thing is the RC Cars though. Much easier to use and much more forgiving! But if the batteries die the plane will fly at most recent operation until the gas runs out....

My collection includes:
I have two ARF's like this:
TVNRCSuperhauler.JPG

1 Duratrax Nitro Quake:
dtxd73-wallpaper-800.jpg

1 Team Associated RC10GT:
associated-rc10gt.jpg

1 Sportwerks Choas:
action6.jpg

1 Duratrax Evader EXT:
Duratrax-Evader-EXT.jpg

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, amazing how an old thread returns from the dead... lol.

Oddly, I just sold by Traxxis T-Maxx to a buddy of mine and bought this...

attachment.php

If a person want to get into RC, electric is a faster setup time and cleaner, but depending on size will deterimine whether it is suited for indoors or outdoors. This goes for planes and helis, although helis more for the house, unless you're one of those XFC pilots who can hang an airplane by the prop anywhere.

If you go to the nitro airplanes or helis, join a club, get help setting up your equipment and aircraft properly. Also the simultor is great tool for the days you can't make it to the field or the weather conditions are not favorable.