What to buy?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try the FZ1 and see what you think Jamie. It's got buckets of power, handles well, and in stock configuration has a bolt upright seating position. The wheelbase is pretty long compared to the 6. The only weak area is the rear shock and perhaps ground clearance.

Also you can mod the hell out of it, lots of aftermarket out there.

View attachment 29244

Yep, for some reason i didnt even have the FZ1 "in the mix" till yesterday...but they are such great value...can get a second hand 07 FZ1 with 30,000km's on it, with GYTR pipe, and a fedw other mods for just over $10000! Or i can buy new for $14000 with a full 2 year factory Warranty!

So, today i will go testing with the FZ1, and Sprint ST at the top of my "maybe" list!

The FZ1 tick's just about every box i have put up there as requirements...except ABS, but i guess i have lived without ABS for 20 years, i can probably live a bit longer without it...who knows, i might ride an ABS equipped bike, and hate it!

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie, will I be the only rider on an FZ6 for our tour to Tassie?

Prebstar XJR1300
Humperdinkel (if he goes :D) XJR1300
Ozzieboy (if he goes :D) FZ1
Wolfman Triumph ST

Not a good advertisement for the FZ6 forum, is it? :rof:

Lol....i thought this yesterday....i will at least still own an FZ6! :D

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be between the ST and the FZ1 for me. I think both would make great tourers. The Triumph engine would be excellent for touring having that bit more torque.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't like the ABS on the Z1000, although probably would on a tourer. I found it made the rear lever feel softer, and was more difficult to feel it under heavy braking.

Have fun riding in any case! Of your shortlist I don't think you could buy a bad bike anyway.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be between the ST and the FZ1 for me. I think both would make great tourers. The Triumph engine would be excellent for touring having that bit more torque.

I didn't like the ABS on the Z1000, although probably would on a tourer. I found it made the rear lever feel softer, and was more difficult to feel it under heavy braking.

Have fun riding in any case! Of your shortlist I don't think you could buy a bad bike anyway.

Yep boys.....both the ST & the FZ are the best value, or bang for buck, i guess it will come down to which i like to ride more....

I must say, i think the FZ1 looks nicer....but i may fall in love with the 3 cylinder bike with the more progressive, and stronger torque curve...which i think, the ability to "pull" more, might be a better option for touring...

Although Mikey tells me that the FZ1 pulls like a 15 year old schoolboy above 7000rpm's!

:D

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that the FZ1 looks nicer, saw one the other day at the dealer in white, looked very tasty. You could always drop a tooth on the front it would pull better from lower RPM.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep boys.....both the ST & the FZ are the best value, or bang for buck, i guess it will come down to which i like to ride more....

I must say, i think the FZ1 looks nicer....but i may fall in love with the 3 cylinder bike with the more progressive, and stronger torque curve...which i think, the ability to "pull" more, might be a better option for touring...

Although Mikey tells me that the FZ1 pulls like a 15 year old schoolboy above 7000rpm's!

I will be interested to see what you think after riding the 1050. I rode a Tiger the other week and yea, I liked the overall power and throttle response, but I almost expected a little bit more. Haven't ridden a liter bike until then though, and it's not the typical. Plus I'm used to the top end of the 6. I flogged it some and found the rev limiter quickly... HA! Did the same thing on the multistrada I rode too. (very nice bike to ride)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, things are starting to get interesting...

This arvo, i went bike shopping again! And now i am even more confused...

I still have not ridden anything, but i have more choices now...as i found a 2003 Honda Blackbird with only 16000km's on the clock...for $9000! I dunno whether this is a good price or not yet...but it leaves me with lots of money to spend on Panniers, etc...

Went to a Honda shop, and they will sell me a 2010 VFR (NEW) for $14000 plus on roads, but with no panniers included...

Sat on it...felt tiny, looks great IMHO! Unlike the ST which feels quite large in comparison! But i still feel that it is a bit underpowered for what i want!

The Blackbird is very appealing....effortless horsepower!

I think i jight be spending a bit of time on bikesales.com.au tonight!

:confused:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that the FZ1 looks nicer, saw one the other day at the dealer in white, looked very tasty. You could always drop a tooth on the front it would pull better from lower RPM.

Yeah, gotta go take the FZ1 and the Blackbird for a ride i suppose...i think it is coming down to those 2 maybe...When i look at the FZ1 next to the Trumpy, it sorta makes the Trumpy look a little boring...and the FZ1 has higher spec suspenders, and more HP! But a little less protection from the elements!

And i can get a low km, FZ1S for about $10000 - $11000!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's made my mind up for you.

It's the 08 FZ1S :D

Go for it :thumbup:

I'm really good at spending other peoples money $$$$$$ :rof:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's made my mind up for you.

It's the 08 FZ1S :D

Go for it :thumbup:

I'm really good at spending other peoples money $$$$$$ :rof:

The problem is...i sorta know all about the FZ1 via Mikey! And i know how much he like his!!!

It's a Yamaha = ++++++++
It looks great! = ++++++++
It's got a comfy ride position = ++++++++
Awesome donk = +++++++++++++
New....2 year warranty = ++++++++
It's not Black! = ++++++++++

Pillion Comfort is my next question...what are FZ1's like 2 up for the pillion over a the duration of a full day in the saddle????

Nobody wants a whingey Missus!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh see , thats where your wrong :D It isnt a Gixxer :spank: , it has only just been released & she's an all new model fully faired Bandit :thumbup: Nobody will argue a Bandits creds :rockon: Gsx1250fa | 2010 | Sport Sport Touring | Road | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

Yep, it's a prettied up Bandit...low spec. low hp these days...not interested!

Sorry Humps...too oldschool in it's specs for my liking...awesome value though...well it was till everyone started bringing the higher spec bikes like the ST, and FZ1 down to a similar price.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh hmmm, 1400GTR.

Pretty sure ive seen some ex-demo or even unsold 2009 models going for just under 20 large.

Deep down you know you want one Wolfy, I bloody do :thumbup: