What to buy?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i am in the market for a new touring bike...gonna sell my second FZ6...

I initially was looking at a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT...available i September for $16000 plus on-roads...Has ABS brakes, Panniers as standard...

But today i found out i can get a Brand new Triumph Sprint ST, with Panniers, but no ABS, $14000 INC on road cost's...

Confused???

Then i found out i can get a brand new FZ1S for $14000 inc. on road costs!

:eek:

Then i found a 2007 FJR1300, with the cluchless "auto" gearbox, with only 3000km's on it, for $16000 plus on roads....and this thing has everything...except i could'nt quite find it's anchor! ;)

FJR is an amazing deal $9000 saving over new...but it's too much tour, and cruise liner for me i think...and i like having a clutch!!!

Or i can get an 07 FZ1S for about $11000.....

Both the FZ1S's would need me to spend a $1000 or thereabouts on luggage, once i bought them...

What to do???? Help! Am going to test ride an ST, the FJR, and the FZ1 tomorrow...

:confused::confused::confused:

N

Naykid

Personally i don't care for the 2nd Gen FZ1's....especially the 06 to 09's. I had a 1st gen FZ1 and it was great. If you like the sport nature...get a 1st Gen Fz1 for HALF what you are paying for those other. If it has to be new....BMW.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 isnt really a 1st class tourer :eek: Its true people , just ask Mikey's ar$3 :BLAA:....

ST Sprint & GT Sprint have very little between them really , so either or :thumbup:....

The FJR is a spectacular deal , ride it bet you it blows your mind :thumbup:

Now just to through a spanner in your works :( have yo given any thoght to the new Suzuki GSX 1250 ??? Proven Bandit performance & outstanding ability now fitted with a nice schmicko fairing for more touring comfort :D Gsx1250fa | 2010 | Sport Sport Touring | Road | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
The FJR1300, that is the one that Rossi likes right ? As the price you quoted sounds a bit much they are a touch over $16k brand new over here .....

As for the choice I would go either BMW or a Kawa 1400GT :) Or even a multistrada or maybe a Shiver GT ? (That has ABS :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really am a little more interested in the Sports side of Sports Tourer....hence my hesitation to get a massive bike....i have always like smaller bikes, cause they are light! I reckon anything bigger than the Triumph is going to be hard for me to like...

The 1400GTR is too much bike for me...just too big. The FJR looks to be the same, although i do like it a little bit....it's a Yamaha after all!

Am going to have a look at the BMW dealership tomorrow as well...as they are the King of tourers....i just dont want boring either...

Bike's need to have a "Personality"! The Triumph ST seems to have a bit of that, due to the fact that it's a little bit sexy, with single sided swingarm, underseat exhaust...

The FZ1 has heaps of "Personality", and i dont reckon it would be a bad tourer at all...nice and fast, decent suspenders for touring style riding, upright seating position, and the ability to put decent fitted luggage...

at this point it's the Triumph Sprint ST, or the FZ1.....but i would like ABS brakes...so the GT keeps popping back into my sights!

The Shiver is too much like an FZ6...in fact, it has a few less HP than an FZ6, as does a BMW F800 ST...So they are both out....anything too far under about 130hp is out...

As for Budget...am looking to spend no more than about $16000...unless i get real good money for the FZ6 i am going to sell.

:thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No it isnt..... I wasnt gunna mention it in this thread but you have provoked me :D , Rossi loves & uses as his personal ride an XJR :drool: :D
Geez, you did well not to mention it until the 6th post ! LOL

Both Humperdinkel and Prebstar are a little biased to their armchairs, but, after riding the XJR1300, it is a pretty cool bike :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go the ST for $14000. Buy a top box. You have an extra $2000 in your Tassie budget now :D

The ST is $15300 on road, the FZ1 is $14000 on road..both not Inc insurance...the FZ1 is very tempting at that price... Book price is $16500.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really am a little more interested in the Sports side of Sports Tourer....hence my hesitation to get a massive bike....i have always like smaller bikes, cause they are light! I reckon anything bigger than the Triumph is going to be hard for me to like...

The 1400GTR is too much bike for me...just too big. The FJR looks to be the same, although i do like it a little bit....it's a Yamaha after all!

Am going to have a look at the BMW dealership tomorrow as well...as they are the King of tourers....i just dont want boring either...

Bike's need to have a "Personality"! The Triumph ST seems to have a bit of that, due to the fact that it's a little bit sexy, with single sided swingarm, underseat exhaust...

The FZ1 has heaps of "Personality", and i dont reckon it would be a bad tourer at all...nice and fast, decent suspenders for touring style riding, upright seating position, and the ability to put decent fitted luggage...

at this point it's the Triumph Sprint ST, or the FZ1.....but i would like ABS brakes...so the GT keeps popping back into my sights!

The Shiver is too much like an FZ6...in fact, it has a few less HP than an FZ6, as does a BMW F800 ST...So they are both out....anything too far under about 130hp is out...

As for Budget...am looking to spend no more than about $16000...unless i get real good money for the FZ6 i am going to sell.

:thumbup:

While your out & about tomorrow be sure to check out the Suki GSX1250 like i said , IMO it tick all your boxes :thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet you could get a great deal on a VFR800 right about now.....and for touring it's right up there on my list. I had one for 4 days of touring early this year and other than feeling a bit squirmy on the tightest of corners, it had plenty of drive out of them to keep up with mates on sportsbikes.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet you could get a great deal on a VFR800 right about now.....and for touring it's right up there on my list. I had one for 4 days of touring early this year and other than feeling a bit squirmy on the tightest of corners, it had plenty of drive out of them to keep up with mates on sportsbikes.

Love the old VFR...but it has only just got enough HP, not a fair bit in reserve..I want to be able to go somewhere near warp drive if I want too! :rockon:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
These prices just seem mind boggling to me! You Aussies sure take it in the Tassie!

I think you need to ride the FJR for sure. It is a big and relatively heavy bike but as long as it is wearing Metzeler Z6's you'll find it to be pretty nimble on its feet. I am not a fan of the Bridgestone offerings they used on that bike but still it doesn't handle like a bike that size. I agree with wanting a clutch and if I had a Feejur as my only bike, it would definitely have a clutch.... but as a second bike.... maybe clutchless would be fine.

Let us know what you think

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
As a past owner of an FJR I can state it has about as much personality as your garden variety toaster, i.e. NONE. It's an appliance, just like a Gold Wing. It has no real sporting charateristics for day to day use .... it's just too big and heavy.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try the FZ1 and see what you think Jamie. It's got buckets of power, handles well, and in stock configuration has a bolt upright seating position. The wheelbase is pretty long compared to the 6. The only weak area is the rear shock and perhaps ground clearance.

Also you can mod the hell out of it, lots of aftermarket out there.

View attachment 29244

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 is still to date my all time favourite touring bike. I hope it's still in contention.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie, will I be the only rider on an FZ6 for our tour to Tassie?

Prebstar XJR1300
Humperdinkel (if he goes :D) XJR1300
Ozzieboy (if he goes :D) FZ1
Wolfman Triumph ST

Not a good advertisement for the FZ6 forum, is it? :rof: