~~~ What did you do to your Bike Today Thread??? ~~~

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you cover the ends of the tail pipes? If condensation built up it would have no way of evaporating.

To keep rodents out, I reckon

The cold and wet weather chases field mice into my garage and basement. So far this winter, I haven't found any half-eaten acorns in the airbox as in previous years.

Tomorrow looks like a good day for a mid-winter's bike check-up. Hopefully today's rain washed away all the road salt and crud from last week's cold and ice.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you cover the ends of the tail pipes? If condensation built up it would have no way of evaporating.

My TB's stick out past the bike and the cover seems to allow it to soak in at the angle its at. So plugged during the monsoons.... But she's inside now!

I'm told dryer sheets keep the pests from infiltrating so keep that in mind. Three winters in a barn and so far no Attacks from critters! :Flip:
-->> [MENTION=14104]oaks[/MENTION]

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
According to hubby, it's more to keep mice from crawling in there and packing the exhaust system with mouse nest. We live in the country. So do a lot of mice...like the one who made a nest in my air filter element one winter.

Though a mouse can get through plastic, it takes just a quick glance to see that he's done it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to hubby, it's more to keep mice from crawling in there and packing the exhaust system with mouse nest. We live in the country. So do a lot of mice...like the one who made a nest in my air filter element one winter.

Though a mouse can get through plastic, it takes just a quick glance to see that he's done it.
I see, I've always lived in the suburbs/city. I didnt have to deal with bike/rodent issues until about 4 years ago. When I had a dirt bike, it got ridden frequent enough that I didnt have an issue with mice.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see, I've always lived in the suburbs/city. I didnt have to deal with bike/rodent issues until about 4 years ago. When I had a dirt bike, it got ridden frequent enough that I didnt have an issue with mice.

Here I thought you posted pics of your 420 experience! Or is that 520??? :rockon: :spank: :rolleyes:

You ditched the HID plans? What the heck?
[MENTION=14469]motojoe122[/MENTION]

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As I mentioned - new scented dryer sheets and place about 4 of them into various places on the bike. Front back and side. So far so good and thats 3 years or 12 months of availability for those :Flip: critters and so far I've seen Droppings around the bike but NONE on or in the bike! :thumbup:
PS - I also hang a bag of dehumidifier under her covers...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned - new scented dryer sheets and place about 4 of them into various places on the bike. Front back and side. So far so good and thats 3 years or 12 months of availability for those :Flip: critters and so far I've seen Droppings around the bike but NONE on or in the bike! :thumbup:
PS - I also hang a bag of dehumidifier under her covers...
I got a bag of dehumidifiers for ya, Randy:eek::D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here I thought you posted pics of your 420 experience! Or is that 520??? :rockon: :spank: :rolleyes:

You ditched the HID plans? What the heck?
@motojoe122
Yeah, chain and sprockets went well except for my miss count of links and which way the front sprocket faced. After I bought the safety bulbs from NAPA, I liked them better so I passed the HID's to G.

Oh, test rode today....OMG what a difference a 520 chain makes. It may not last as long as a 530 but DAMMMMMMMMMN, I'm gonna take full advantage of it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the radiator off R6 today. There was nothing fun about it. :(

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my brake pads but i'm a bit worried about it.

I did put some wd40 on brake cylinders/pistons... and maybe it splashed over the pads themselves... Did I killed my brake pads?

I've made some heavy braking test and it works but not that much... and i'm such a pranoiac freak that I can't say why (just because they are new or is it the consequence of my mistake).

what do u think?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my brake pads but i'm a bit worried about it.

I did put some wd40 on brake cylinders/pistons... and maybe it splashed over the pads themselves... Did I killed my brake pads?

I've made some heavy braking test and it works but not that much... and i'm such a pranoiac freak that I can't say why (just because they are new or is it the consequence of my mistake).

what do u think?

That stuff will burn off the pads & rotors but I would pick up some brake cleaner and saturate the area.

OF Greater concern is spraying the seals!!! :spank::spank: It can/will/may cause them to swell and stick (its petroleum based) and could get you a caliper rebuild under way!!!

If it were mine, remove the calipers, remove the pads, with BRAKE CLEANER, spray the calipers. Pump the pistons out slightly, Spray and clean the pistons. Use a rag and tooth brush. Clean the pads several times holding them from one end so the liquids RUNS OFF and does not soak in.

That's what I would do. Again, greater concern is the seals but it may lead to strange grip issues too. [MENTION=25104]HiGGz[/MENTION]

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
That stuff will burn off the pads & rotors but I would pick up some brake cleaner and saturate the area.

OF Greater concern is spraying the seals!!! :spank::spank: It can/will/may cause them to swell and stick (its petroleum based) and could get you a caliper rebuild under way!!!

If it were mine, remove the calipers, remove the pads, with BRAKE CLEANER, spray the calipers. Pump the pistons out slightly, Spray and clean the pistons. Use a rag and tooth brush. Clean the pads several times holding them from one end so the liquids RUNS OFF and does not soak in.

That's what I would do. Again, greater concern is the seals but it may lead to strange grip issues too. [MENTION=25104]HiGGz[/MENTION]

Well for now I've just cleaned up the whole thing with brake cleaner (hoping the liquid did not soak in).

Question: Can u move ur bike forward pressing the brake lever (just a little)?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Well for now I've just cleaned up the whole thing with brake cleaner (hoping the liquid did not soak in).

No.

As a general rule never spray any kind of lubricant close to your brakes! Bad idea...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The value of "just a little" is very subjective. But no would be the typical response.
This thread could gather many opinions. So I'll say this, WD doesn't last long in the elements under any circumstances, thus the odds of long term damage are next to nil imo.
That said it could cause chattering or other strange attributes but it will very likely just burn off. It would be wrong of me to say they are fine but both the sun (heat) and the rain (moisture) breaks that product down very fast. Any who, just be sure to inspect the pads every 50 confirm rotor spins freely - 4 rotations via hand.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!

Did you leave them on to do it?

Yes sir!

It was tough to do around the bolts at the top, but other than that it wasn't TOO bad. I mean, it took 2 hours to bring them from crud to shine. It would have taken some time and risk(broken bolts) to get them off, and maybe only save half an hour. It's nice having them fixed in place, I can;t imagine trying to hold them down while sanding them.

Next time I'll definitely buy mothers power cone. The powerball worked well, but couldnt get in between or behind at all. I think the powercone would be the perfect tool for this, and the powerball method is SO MUCH faster than doing it by hand!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes sir!

It was tough to do around the bolts at the top, but other than that it wasn't TOO bad. I mean, it took 2 hours to bring them from crud to shine. It would have taken some time and risk(broken bolts) to get them off, and maybe only save half an hour. It's nice having them fixed in place, I can;t imagine trying to hold them down while sanding them.

Next time I'll definitely buy mothers power cone. The powerball worked well, but couldnt get in between or behind at all. I think the powercone would be the perfect tool for this, and the powerball method is SO MUCH faster than doing it by hand!

You are a brave man! I once decided to polish them, got bored after 15 minutes of rubbing and nothing to show for it...
Seeing yours makes me want to try again, i tried to do it using wire wool the first time and it really didn't work, might try wet sanding this time.

Just realized you were using power tools! I went all hand and wire wool on it, which was just a massive waste of 15 minutes!
Might order on of them power cones and try the modern way.

Last edited: