NorCal/SoCal ride 2011

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am beginning to plan my vacation, so I need to know a little more about the ride; is it in Northern Cal or Southern Cal, and is the actual meet up date on the 16th of July?

Or is their going to be a get together the night before like last year?

I need to know if I need to take any days off in the front end, as I plan to take the week off after the 16th, which leaves a lot of flexiblity.

Hey Kenny,
I'm leaving that up to our hosts who are unfortunately in Europe at the moment and to those who are coming down from NorCal with me (chemiker and tailgate and hopefully more), perhaps those two can chime in with their preferences. I have no problem with either a Saturday or Sunday ride as I can take either Friday or Monday off for traveling. Hopefully Wavex and Cali rider will be checking in and can give us some info. :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Either a Saturday or Sunday works for me. What we did last year worked well for me. I'm fine with a pre-ride dinner too, that was a nice way to relax after a whole day of riding.

For us Nor Cal guys: the trip down on I5 was really boring last time, but the ride home on back roads was awesome! Do you want to do back roads down and back this time, or is that too much?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Either a Saturday or Sunday works for me. What we did last year worked well for me. I'm fine with a pre-ride dinner too, that was a nice way to relax after a whole day of riding.

For us Nor Cal guys: the trip down on I5 was really boring last time, but the ride home on back roads was awesome! Do you want to do back roads down and back this time, or is that too much?

Hey Travis, was I really that boring on the way down last year? j/k
Kidding aside, IMO it depends if we'll be getting into L.A. in Friday night rush hour again or coming down on Saturday. It might be a little too much for a scenic ride and rush hour in one day. Maybe we can do a semi scenic ride down on Friday and a full blown back road ride home like we did last year.
I like the format from last year too with the Friday night get together dinner and Saturday ride with all the SoCal hoons. :BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest Northern California for a couple of reasons:

- Allows us folks down South to escape the heat
- It may allow members from up North, such as Oregon & Washington to join us, as it's only one day's ride to the Bay Area.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Wavex and I are planning a massive motorcycle tour through Europe this spring and that is going to eat up all of our vacation time for this year. However, I am up for a multi day ride in the south end of the state. We might be able to swing a 3-day ride up north but it would have to span one of the traditional summer holiday weekends.

As a possible suggestion we are thinking...

Day 1- Travel from SoCal to Sonora Map link

Day 2- Up over Sonora Pass, fuel, return to Sonora. Lunch in Arnold, then over Ebbetts Pass, along CA-88 and over Kingsbury Grade to Lake Tahoe for the night. Map link

Day 3- Heading home over Carson Pass, down towards Stockton. Those of us heading south will be making a straight shot down the 5. Map link

Comments, revisions, etc? Post them here and we will get this set.

Kenny, I think the plan was to do both with the first ride in July being like last year and the next a multi day ride starting in Sonora. Like Lefty mentioned we will know more when the vagabonds get back from Europe:D

Jerry

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, I think the plan was to do both with the first ride in July being like last year and the next a multi day ride starting in Sonora. Like Lefty mentioned we will know more when the vagabonds get back from Europe:D

Jerry

If this is the route, I can meet up in Bakersfield.

I also need to start thinking of making hotel accomodations, especially in the Lake Tahoe area as I am not a camper. Anyone intersted in splitting a room in a nice hotel, let me know. But no spooning allowed.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to riding. This ride sounds great and I'm interested.

:welcome:to the forum! We're glad to have you! Definitely keep watch on this thread for any updates so you can hook up with us! :D

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
If this is the route, I can meet up in Bakersfield.

I also need to start thinking of making hotel accomodations, especially in the Lake Tahoe area as I am not a camper. Anyone intersted in splitting a room in a nice hotel, let me know. But no spooning allowed.

Maybe someone has a time share and we could bunk a bunch of us:thumbup:
If not I'll split a room with ya as long as there are two beds, ha ha, and you don't mind bunking with an old phart:D

Jerry

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe someone has a time share and we could bunk a bunch of us:thumbup:
If not I'll split a room with ya as long as there are two beds, ha ha, and you don't mind bunking with an old phart:D

Jerry

That's a good idea, maybe somebody might know of a place where we can rent a condo or a cabin for one night that's large enough to accomodate everyone. I'm not too familiar with the Lake Tahoe area but I'm sure there has to be something in that line.

Do you snoor?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
That's a good idea, maybe somebody might know of a place where we can rent a condo or a cabin for one night that's large enough to accomodate everyone. I'm not too familiar with the Lake Tahoe area but I'm sure there has to be something in that line.

Do you snoor?

How would I know, I'm sleeping:spank:
Maybe that's why the wife sleeps in the other room:D

I had a boss that snored so loud that when we shared a room during a convention I had to sleep in the bathtub with a pillow over my ears and that still wasn't enough to drown out the noise, fun trip:eek:

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lisa is deaf in one ear and sleeps with an ear plug in the other! :eek:
But I don't snore all the time.....:rolleyes:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Good roads FTW! Makes time fly as opposed to suffering on the highway for hours.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys...I'm just here looking at your plans & itenararies for the upcoming trips...looks like it's going to be a very good trip, with all the guys from north. Just my curiosity, how many will ride from North to Southern Ca.? Are slow riders welcome to join this trip? Thanks to all

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
hi guys...I'm just here looking at your plans & itenararies for the upcoming trips...looks like it's going to be a very good trip, with all the guys from north. Just my curiosity, how many will ride from North to Southern Ca.? Are slow riders welcome to join this trip? Thanks to all

4-5 I think and it doesn't matter how slow or fast you are, you just ride your own pace and the front riders will stop where needed so no one gets left behind:thumbup:

DSC01961.jpg

Jerry

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I know that myself, Chemiker and Tailgate (from Sacramento) will be going down to SoCal for sure. Hopefully some of the other NorCal guys will come along too. As of now the plan is to ride down south on Friday, July 15th by as yet an undetermined route. Last year we stayed in the Long Beach/Anaheim area in different lodgings. Friday night we will again hopefully have a get together dinner with some of the SoCal boys to kick off the weekend. Saturday will be a full day of riding on the back roads of SoCal, it was about 400 miles last year. Saturday night was recovery night and Sunday we'll do another all day backroad ride up to NorCal.

Slow riding is such a relative term and I'm sure you're not as slow as you think you are, but everyone is welcome. Some riders are faster than others but we break up into multiple groups according to the speed/comfort level of all the riders. This is a fun social group ride not a race (contrary to some of the pics you may have seen from last year's ride :spank::D). Most importantly you should be comfortable riding multiple 400 mile days, twisty roads and especially in traffic on the L.A. freeways.

I'm going to try and put together a South Bay ride hopefully on Sunday, May 8th that you should try and attend, that way you can meet some of us and get your feet wet on a group ride.

To those of you who attended last years ride, or if I've missed anything please feel free to add your input. :thumbup:

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that myself, Chemiker and Tailgate (from Sacramento) will be going down to SoCal for sure. Hopefully some of the other NorCal guys will come along too. As of now the plan is to ride down south on Friday, July 15th by as yet an undetermined route. Last year we stayed in the Long Beach/Anaheim area in different lodgings. Friday night we will again hopefully have a get together dinner with some of the SoCal boys to kick off the weekend. Saturday will be a full day of riding on the back roads of SoCal, it was about 400 miles last year. Saturday night was recovery night and Sunday we'll do another all day backroad ride up to NorCal.

Slow riding is such a relative term and I'm sure you're not as slow as you think you are, but everyone is welcome. Some riders are faster than others but we break up into multiple groups according to the speed/comfort level of all the riders. This is a fun social group ride not a race (contrary to some of the pics you may have seen from last year's ride :spank::D). Most importantly you should be comfortable riding multiple 400 mile days, twisty roads and especially in traffic on the L.A. freeways.

I'm going to try and put together a South Bay ride hopefully on Sunday, May 8th that you should try and attend, that way you can meet some of us and get your feet wet on a group ride.

To those of you who attended last years ride, or if I've missed anything please feel free to add your input. :thumbup:

This contradicts the link that you provided earlier. You provided a route from the south to the north created by Cali Rider on the same day. Which way is it, are we going north or south?

Start a poll I guess. I'm voting North.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This contradicts the link that you provided earlier. You provided a route from the south to the north created by Cali Rider on the same day. Which way is it, are we going north or south?

Start a poll I guess. I'm voting North.

Kenny,
This ride is all about going south again in July. I knew that there would be some confusion eventually when the possibility a Northern Cal. ride was brought up. A NorCal ride would be a separate, 2nd ride sometime later this year.