Leo Vince Install

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
nilesh b, maybe make sure they sent you the proper model year. I think there are different part numbers for the 08/09 as opposed to the earlier years.

I did the install yesterday on my 08 with no problems at all. I'm loving the new sound of my bike! :rockon:
Thanks jman for the pictorial, definitely made things easier.

nilesh_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Bushboarder for your reply :thumbup:

I spoke with the supplier and found out that it was Leo Vince Art 7156A which is for FZ6 S1(<07) and not S2(> 06). So he is going to send me Art 7904 for S2.

I have two questions:

I didnt see any clamp which connects Leo Cat pipe with small link pipe?:confused: Will it be a good fit without clamp OR may be on S1 it is like that as the previous exhaust was for S1!

I also noticed one part which had 4-5 holes in(washer thin round plate) it and looked like it would go in one of the pipes may be between leo cat and small link pipe? Did anyone got that round plate and know where should it go? :(

Cheers

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two questions:

I didnt see any clamp which connects Leo Cat pipe with small link pipe?:confused: Will it be a good fit without clamp OR may be on S1 it is like that as the previous exhaust was for S1!
There's only one clamp, it's for the pipe that connects to the header collector. The rest are slip fit and held together with the included springs.

I also noticed one part which had 4-5 holes in(washer thin round plate) it and looked like it would go in one of the pipes may be between leo cat and small link pipe? Did anyone got that round plate and know where should it go? :(

Cheers
That disc is an additional silencer many don't use that goes in the pipe after the cat delete pipe.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
There's only one clamp, it's for the pipe that connects to the header collector. The rest are slip fit and held together with the included springs.

That disc is an additional silencer many don't use that goes in the pipe after the cat delete pipe.
Like n00dle says, there's only the one clamp. The rest is springs.

As for the discs, I got 2 of them with my pipes. I cound't find anything about them in the Leo instructions. I thought maybe they were db killers to install in the can ends. I didn't really investigate. Anyone know if the db killers are already installed then?

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
The disk is in addition to the two db silencer pipes that insert into each exhaust can. Leo Vince was thoughtful enough to provide an extra means of quieting down the exhaust if someone wanted to or to perhaps use to pass inspection. This disk will quite it down even further.

Here is the disk in the pipe after the cat delete pipe.

attachment.php

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
The disk is in addition to the two db silencer pipes that insert into each exhaust can. Leo Vince was thoughtful enough to provide an extra means of quieting down the exhaust if someone wanted to or to perhaps use to pass inspection. This disk will quite it down even further.

Here is the disk in the pipe after the cat delete pipe.

attachment.php

While I don't think the Leo is THAT loud, I would have probably tried the disk if I had realized what it was for. I should have posted up about it before I did the install. Thanks for the info.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the disk today. With the db-killers in it becomes very silenced. If you ride with the db-killers out it is now perfect. No backfiring anymore and the idle is more stable.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I don't know if mine even came with those disks and if they did I threw them out quickly. Now the one thing I just did with mine is modify the db killers. The bike was too quiet with them and too loud without them. So, I drilled a hole in the one using a sawzall, (left some taper there) and the other I completely removed the tapered end straight to the weld. It changed the way it sounds a little, you can hear the exhaust going through the tubes now, but worked out to be the perfect in between with the sound!! I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:

rafa

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys, i am installing the leo vince carbon on my 2008 FZ6.

have two questions:

1. what isthe purpose of the two rings with 5 holes in them? where do these go??

2. do i have to remove the cat, or can i leave it there? what is the advantage if i eliminate it??

thanks

rafa

Reaction score
Visit site
yes mate,,, thats the disc.

to be fair it seems that most leave them out. im tempted to do the same.

one final question:

did you guys fit the two end carbon parts together AND THEN fitted both together to the pipe OR you fitted one of them ( right one) AND THEN finally fitted the left side carbon part ?

i am asking this as i am finding the space between the two carbon parts too tight for the metal bracket to be inserted between them and i am anxious to push them apart as the metal will surely scratch the carbon body.

rafa

Reaction score
Visit site
just to inform all that my carbon leos are now installed.

i have to admit i ran into a couple of problems:

1. the two discs with holes. no idea why they are there and in fact,,,, did not use them!!

2. i had a problem with the allignment of the end cans. i had to make a small modification ( lenghtened one of the bolts holding the metal belt and rubber belt. i am not sure why this happend ( to me only apparently).

3. the spacing between the carbons for the bracket to have enaough space between them. i had to dismantle again and remounted but always checking that the space is there all the way ((and i fitted the bracket from the start!!)).

but all is now ok,,, tightly secured and looking good. i have already started it once on idle and it sounded great!!

the big test later on!!

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Halfway through the installation of mine... The pictures at the beginning of this thread were invaluable as the 'manual' is fairly useless...

Started her up today and the sound is awesome!

However, the alignment wasn't correct and I couldn't get the hanging bracket in the gap (the longer pipe was too far towards the middle of the bike) so I have taken it all back to the cat eliminator again... then it rained...

Hopefully get it up-and running tomorrow...

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
I've now fitted the pipes 8,247 times and I still can't get it to line up properly! :(

I have to say I'm unimpressed by the mounting clamps - they seem too soft and pliable for the job.

I'm about to strip the whole thing down again and start over. Good riding weather too!

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've now fitted the pipes 8,247 times and I still can't get it to line up properly! :(

I have to say I'm unimpressed by the mounting clamps - they seem too soft and pliable for the job.

I'm about to strip the whole thing down again and start over. Good riding weather too!

Good Lord! I hope you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I'm sure you know this, but a trick I always use is to keep all bolts loose until everything is aligned and carefully tighten everything back up a little bit at a time until all is snug.

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Success! :cheer:

It has taken me all day...

Thanks for the advice Jman - I tried that but no matter how I tried to align the pipes I just couldn't get it to work...

In the end, I replaced the bolts that hold the clamps with longer ones and 'packed' out with washers to space the pipes.

I don't know if it is just manufacturing tolerances or what could have caused the problem but I can't see anything I have done wrong...

Obviously, if I realise a massive mistake later I will confess all.

My overall impressions tho are that the brackets and clamps are not really fit for purpose and I'm not convinced that the whole thing won't come apart while riding.

Does it look good? Yes :thumbup:

Does it sound good? Fantastic! :thumbup:

Would I buy another LeoVince? No. :shakehead:

SDC10611.jpg

SDC10613.jpg

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep looking at my pictures and yours. Can't figure out why you had to space them out further.:confused: Sorry to hear it gave you such a rough time. It does look sharp, though.

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Keep looking at my pictures and yours. Can't figure out why you had to space them out further.:confused: Sorry to hear it gave you such a rough time. It does look sharp, though.

Thanks for your kind words! :thumbup:

I was looking at your pictures all day! Even printed them out and stood comparing them to my bike - I figured I must be doing something wrong!

Will get to ride it tomorrow - hopefully everything will be okay. At least I have the confidence to take it all apart now and re-install or adjust if it needs it...

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Just tested the pipes!

About 80 miles mixed highway/city/country roads.

They sound fantastic, a deep note and noisier than stock although not too noisy (I left out the additional 'disc' but have the dB killers in). At high speed they can't be heard above the wind noise (no ear plugs today).

At around 3½K there is a loud resonance - very handy in the city as it gets the attention of pedestrians and cagers alike!

Overall, very pleased with the level and 'quality' of the sound they produce.

Probably psychological but the bike seemed faster and more responsive.

Lastly, the removal of the cat makes riding at high speed much more comfortable on the right leg...

Oh, and the bike smells like a bike now - not the sanitised aroma that the cat produces.