FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
To be continued......

I'm more confused than ever now, but keen to read the conclusion of this fascinating debate.
I'm 5'9" (08 S2) and find the stock really buffets shoulders and directs wind to my throat and a little up under my lid (Shoei Quest) which is otherwise very quiet. The Shoei is pretty aerodynamic so I'm leaning toward a Touring DB style screen but will leave this until I've fitted some bar risers (for neck pain).
I've also found the wind roar varies with type of clothing. I favour leathers with an iNek tube to block drafts. When I put on my hi-viz overjacket the noise just gets silly at 70+.

Last edited:

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Madstad has a universal kit that you can attach to the stock screen. You just have to drill holes into the Yamaha touring screen.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a few hundred miles with the Madstad bracket/windscreen in place with an 80 mile roundtrip commute. I've tried stock, puig, cal sci, and can honestly say the Madstad is the best.

Yes, it's not the most sexy looking, but there's no magical way to have a small windscreen and not have buffeting. The laws of physics simply won't succumb to our wants.

With the Madstad properly adjusted, the top of the screen is around chin level. I can ride at 80 mph with my helmet shield open. The wind is thrown just over the top of my Shoei Qwest helmet and there's almost no wind noise. In fact, I'm considering switching back to a stock exhaust since all I now notice is my akrapovic.

The looks has grown on me. With saddlebags installed, it's like a mini FJR but still rides and handles like a 600.

Pedro41

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find a genuine Yam tall touring screen-buy it.
Its changed my bike..
I'm 6'.0 tall and the stock screen was noisy and ineffective-looked good though.

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did all you pre 06 (s1) guys get the madstad windscreen?

After taking a few "long" trips I see I need a new windscreen. I have the Puig double bubble right now. I like the way it looks. but doesn't provide MUCH protection. I really like the look of the madstad but I can only find the 07+ (s2) on their site. Does that work with the s1???

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
MRA spoiler screen. If your 5'8" and don't mind waiting on shipping from Germany. Get it. This screen is far superior to the Puig double bubble... Ecspecially in 15 to 38 mph cross winds or environment.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MRA spoiler screen. If your 5'8" and don't mind waiting on shipping from Germany. Get it. This screen is far superior to the Puig double bubble... Ecspecially in 15 to 38 mph cross winds or environment.
I have the MRA screen on my bike. It looks like the stock screen but with the spoiler blade on it. It's one of the best things I have bought for the bike. It's really the best of both worlds:thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a few hundred miles with the Madstad bracket/windscreen in place with an 80 mile roundtrip commute. I've tried stock, puig, cal sci, and can honestly say the Madstad is the best.

Yes, it's not the most sexy looking, but there's no magical way to have a small windscreen and not have buffeting. The laws of physics simply won't succumb to our wants.

With the Madstad properly adjusted, the top of the screen is around chin level. I can ride at 80 mph with my helmet shield open. The wind is thrown just over the top of my Shoei Qwest helmet and there's almost no wind noise. In fact, I'm considering switching back to a stock exhaust since all I now notice is my akrapovic.

The looks has grown on me. With saddlebags installed, it's like a mini FJR but still rides and handles like a 600.

That's what I'm talking about. You mind if I ask you how tall you are?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6ft 6 tall and use the Madstad screen. It is not the easiest thing in the world to adjust but when you get it right it is great. Having said that I have actually gone back to the original screen as the Madstad was doing too good a job of blocking the air and with summer
here in Texas I need as much ventilation as possible.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk HD

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
2 Bikes, and 04 and an 05 (or 05/06, I forget). The first bike I picked up had a stock screen, the second bike had the OEM Touring screen which was @ 4" taller than stock.

The touring screen was horrible. It generated a ton of turbulence and made for a noisy ride. So I sold it on ebay for @ $75. Bought a used stock screen for @ $25 and cut that one down another 4" shorter than stock.

The short screen moves the turbulence down to your chest and keeps your head in clean air. So the ride is smoother and quieter than with the uncut stock screen. The stock screen is ok but could stand to loose a few inches.

slatofz

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the results of the windshield poll, I thought I,d put my two cents worth in. I have outfitted my 2009 FZ6 as a light weight sport tourer. I have lowered rider pegs, raised handlebars, and the Shad sidecases. The finishing touch was the MadStad Engineering robobrackets with 20" sport shield. The MadStad set-up is a vast improvement over the larger Yamaha screen I installed. The biggest improvement is less buffeting from wind and large trucks. I am a heavy fellow and in an upright posture my torso was acting as a wind sail and pushing myself and the bike around. This problem is solved as well as the helmet buffeting. With the brackets at their highest point, the wind buffeting hits the helmet at the very top and is barely noticeable. Leaning in just a little takes care of the rest. I won't post pictures because I don't know how. Pictures on the FZ6 are available on MadStad's site. Now, if I could only solve the seat problem, I'd be a happy camper.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Puig Touring screen for me. I'm 6'1" and it's much better than stock for longer rides and short touring. No real head buffetting at all, just a smooth air flow up and around the helmet.

One odd thing...I first installed the windshield without the rubber edging strip, and I didn't find the windshield all that great. After a while I realized that I hadn't put on the edging, so I did. What a difference! It must act like a spoiler. Make sure to put in on!

IMG_3806.jpg

What is the edging? Is it a strip of rubber you put it on the screen? Does it come with or you have to buy it separate?

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
From the poll, I think I'll get the Puig touring screen. However, I heard pp call it differently, sometimes i heard Puig double bubble windscreen and sometimes i heard Puig touring windscreen. Are they different?

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
From the poll, I think I'll get the Puig touring screen. However, I heard pp call it differently, sometimes i heard Puig double bubble windscreen and sometimes i heard Puig touring windscreen. Are they different?

They are different. The Touring screen is bigger than the double bubble (racing) screen. I have the double bubble and I like it a lot. When I was shopping I could not find the Touring or I would have bought it, now I think I am happier with the double bubble.