Zx14??

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Has any one on here ridden, or have any experience with zx14's?? Being rather tall (6'6" bout 220lbs) I think I would be more comfortable on a larger bike. Some times I feel so big on the 6. I've been sitting on a bunch of bikes lately and for the most part all the supersports are cramped. That could prob be fixed with some adjustable rearsets, but even then the position is still pretty aggressive. Both of my brothers have 06 cbr1000rr's and I've ridden them before but I don't think I could do long distances on one. The zx14 didn't feel that bad from just sitting on it. I was also looking at the new ninja 1000 but haven't been able to sit on one yet. I'm sure that one would be all the bike I need, but a part of me wants more. Not that I'll ever use all of that power, but it would be fun to test it out every now and then. Are there any other bikes like the ninja 1000 that are coming out that I should wait for?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have experiance with them I worked on them at Alleman Cycle Plex.They are ridiculously fast! I added bar risers to one and it helped the riding position become reasonably comfortable,but not as good as the Fz6.I am 6'2" 220lbs myself and handle bar posistion is the biggest factor in comfort for me too.the SS bikes KILL my wrists!! the zx12 did have some issues in its first year out.I don't know if they have cured them all.The 2 biggest problems were the swingarm being over tourqed from the factory and cracking the frame behind the engine.So be sure and bring a flashlight and check for that!! ask the owner if the frame had to be replaced also because I did 3 of them and the semi-retard Will that worked there did a couple until we found SPARE bolts as he refered to them... :rolleyes: the other major problem was the crank spining the bearings when it was run at high rpms for a long stetch.rebuilt one and all Kawi would pay to replace was the bare minimum it to repair it.asked me to flush the engine real good instead of replacing all of the engine and trans bearing's. I would stick to Mr. Yamahas products myself. :rockon:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. Well it would be a brand new left over 08, do you know what years were affected with those problems? There are very few things I would buy used and a bike is one of them, unless I know the person selling it. And you said zx12, did you mean 14?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. Well it would be a brand new left over 08, do you know what years were affected with those problems? There are very few things I would buy used and a bike is one of them, unless I know the person selling it. And you said zx12, did you mean 14?

Yea i'm tired....:BLAA: I meant the ZX14,and 08 was not the bikes affected. Manufacturer: Kawasaki
Model Year: 2006, 2007
Models affected: ZX14
NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V222000
Potential Units Affected: Not Specified
Problem: Kawasaki is recalling certain model year 2006-2007 'Ninja' ZX14 motorcycles. The rear suspension can collapse when a crossmember separates from the frame. Failure of the frame could result in the rear of the motorcycle collapsing creating the possibility of a crash resulting in injury or death.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
After I got rearended and my was FZ totaled, I moved up to a VFR and I've gotta say that thing was an amazing overall upgrade especially in comfort. I'm 6'6" myself and on the FZ6 my knees and ass were killing me after 300 miles even with the TS custom seat. The VFR tells a whole different story. I've done several 700-mile days and other than the overall exhaustion I can't complain at all about comfort. It's a great FZ replacement for us taller folks.

Having said that, my next bike will likely be a zx14 too. I just thought I'd share my personal experience.

Cheers!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
What about a Sport Touring? FJR or the Kawi Connie (gulp). Both have plenty of grunt, handle good for what they are but way more comfy for long rides 3-600 miles a day.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
After I got rearended and my was FZ totaled, I moved up to a VFR and I've gotta say that thing was an amazing overall upgrade especially in comfort. I'm 6'6" myself and on the FZ6 my knees and ass were killing me after 300 miles even with the TS custom seat. The VFR tells a whole different story. I've done several 700-mile days and other than the overall exhaustion I can't complain at all about comfort. It's a great FZ replacement for us taller folks.

Having said that, my next bike will likely be a zx14 too. I just thought I'd share my personal experience.

Cheers!

I do like the VFR's, always did. I alsmost bought one for my first bike instead of the fz. How would you say the power is compared to the fz6? Going from a 600 to a 800 doesn't seem like that much, and I'd hate for it to feel like the fz6 when I'm wanting a little more power. I can get a sweet deal on an 08 flat black VFR, I may have to go check it out.