Your Rider Resume

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok here we go

- i have been riding and racing since I was 4yrs old.
- started drag and street racing when i was 16(street racing was legal where i did it)
- i was brought up in a motorcycle family. working on them, racing, riding, ect, ect
- I am 21 and like i said i have been on the road since 16
- i have had 2 street bikes a kawasaki 1100 1986 model, and my fazer 05.
- I can basically take apart and put back together any bike with the appropriate time.
- i will say this though i am more mechanically inclined towards the old super bikes and dirt bikes haven't really had time to mess with my Fazer yet.
- I am not stubborn if i dont know what im doing i will get advice from someone who does. I dont give advice if im not positive about what im saying.:Sport:
- i also have taken some riding courses: basic riders course, sportbikes course, and cornering course

Last edited:

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I am 27 i have been riding things with wheels and a motor since i was 8. I just got my first street bike about 2 months ago and have out almost 3000 miles on it already. I am a electical mechanical technition so i do know electrical and mechanical things. I have been working on my own stuff since i was little. I love to ride wether it be on the street or dirt but seem to like the street alot better.
Bought my FZ6 because i wanted something that was light and loved twisties and it sits more upright than others and looks awesome. So far i have put a fe kit on, all led turn signals, hid headlights in the FZ6.

Reaction score
Visit site
GRUMPY here, I've been riding since 1970. My Dad bought me a '68 Honda CB160(Scrambler) which I rode until I went into the Navy. I also owned a Honda 305 Scrambler briefly. Went off road with it a week after getting it and broke it when I dropped it on rocks, the crankcase split apart. Also owned a Yamaha DT400, fast fun! A Honda Silver Wing, slow fun. Suzuki GS1100, shaft fun. I an now the proud owner of my RED '06 FZ6, the most fun that you can have with your clothes on fun! I've owned this bike since May'08 and have put 4000 miles on it. I had a notion to try several different mods on it, a PC111, an FZ1 handlebar, a lowering kit ( I'm inseam challenged ),and maybe go naked.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I'm 35 years old and I've been riding for about a year.

I'd always wanted a bike so after returning form Iraq in 2007 I took the MSF course and bought my 2004 FZ6. It's my first bike and I'm really enjoying it. I commute daily on the bike and probably ride about 200-300 miles per week. I learn something new everytime I get in the saddle!

Great forum. Everyone ride safe!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm 38, live in Sunny Australia.

Have been riding bikes on and off for 22 years. First few years years on dirt bikes. Started off with an old Yamaha DT175 (god... what a horrid bike, but I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when I got it...lol). Got rid of that and moved up to a Kwaka KLX 250. Had some great fun on that thing.

When I moved from the country to the city in 1990, I brought the Kwaka with me, but dirt bikes on sealed roads just dont mesh too well, so I sold that.

Didn't get another bike until 1994, my Father-In-Law had a mate that wanted to sell his GPZ 1100. The price was right, so I grabbed it. Scared the crap out of me though. I had to go about 150Km to pick it up, and while I was riding it home, it started pouring with rain. Bear in mind, the biggest bike I'd ever been on before was the KLX 250.

Sold that after 3 years, and then bought the FZ6 in 2005... Best bike I have ever owned.

Thats me. Cheers.

:)

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well...

- I'm 42, married with 3 great kids
- Started on borrowed Suzuki PE175 that I seized the motor on and "ahem" had to purchase! Fixed that one and beat it to death.
-Then bought a HondaXR200 thumper that I rode for several years.
- Rode a buddy's 82' Honda Nghthawk 650 for 8 months before deciding I really should get a license!
-Traded the XR for a 1986 GSXR750R that taught me several things, most importantly don't start with one of those for your first street bike!!
- After years of going way too fast I met my wife and traded the gixer for a left over 87Kawasaki Concours.
- Sold that ride when the first child showed up, and waited 16 long agonizing years before getting the FZ on my 40th B-day.
- My brother who is an advanced MSF instructor has been drilling good basics into my head for years!

Last edited:

YoungC33

Reaction score
Visit site
Im 24 had my license for 2 months now attended basic motorcycle safety class, for insurence deductions and learned a whole lot more than expected. I can do minor mods including accessory lighting and have installed a 12volt outlet with circuit breaker for my gps. I have put on my bike less than 1000 miles in about a month brand new 2006 off the lot which I bought a month ago. My dad has everything from a Goldwing, V-Max, Yamaha 650 Special, Hondamatic, KLR, first time he tried to get me on a bike I dropped it right in front of him, came to a stop forgot the clutch and was leaning with the front wheel turned, he wasnt upset but that set my bike days back about 5 years. Riding with a Shoei rf-1000 picotte 3 helmet and Icon armor jacket that I always wear with gloves and boots. I am looking for a Clymer manual, and check forums post often to expand my knowledge. I am open to any questions and comments

UB1

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 52, and I've been riding since 1972.

My first bike was an old ironhead sportster, and my latest is my '08 Black FZ6. I also currently own a '55 HD Panhead and a '75 HD Shovel as well as a '66 Triumph Tiger 650. I live in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Foothills (about 45mins. from Lake Tahoe) where the riding is endless.

I bought my FZ6 to commute to work on, but i can't seem to get off it. its one of the most fun rides i've owned. I spent a lot of time on this site before buying a bike, and found the info here very helpful in choosing my ride.

My wife is also an avid rider. We just sold her '02 gixxer 600 and are currently looking for something a little more comfortable for her to ride. The old iron is too loud and ill handling for her, and the FZ is a little too tall. Do they make a shorter shock for the FZ?

Anyways... thats it from Cool, CA. I look forward to reading more good stuff here.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
First bike was a 50cc yamaha fs1e at 16yrs(had some great times on that).I rode that for around 1 year then at 17 i passed my car test and never got on another bike until March 2007 a 600cc bandit which i learnt to ride and took my test on.Passed my full bike licence in May 2007 and bought the FZ6 in June(should have done it 20 years ago)

I am a sheetmetal worker have been since leaving school at 16 and with the same employer,22 years service next month (August).

I will only post if i think i am correct in what i am saying if not i will leave it to you guys and learn,especially the technical stuff.

Thanks all for making this forum a great place to be a part of and to learn loads.

Cheers :D

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 38, got my first street bike 10 years ago.

The first bike was a 1995 Honda Shadow 600. I put only about 500 miles on it in two years.

2nd was a 1999 HD Sportster 1200 Custom. I really liked this bike, but I rarely rode it due to having nobody to ride with.

Went about 4 years without a bike.

I've had my FZ6 for two months and put 1500 miles on it already. I have been using it occasionally to commute, but I bought it just for weekend riding.

I like to try the mods that people say are working, but will be the first person to post when something doesn't work(ie:cutting a big hole in the airbox).

I'm a car audio installer. So, I'm good with tools and my hands. I may try to make a rear seat fairing with fiberglass soon.

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding in 2005. Went through the MSF and purchased a Honda shadow 750 as a first bike and rode to work daily. kept it til next riding season and decide on a honda 599. Rode the 599 about 45 day and sold it and went with the Honda ST1300 which I still have but due to the size of the bike I don't like it as a commuter. So I've just closed a deal on a 2006 FZ6 and I pick it up tommarow morning. I'm hoping that it has enough power and doesn't feel like riding on a push lawnmower motor. Wish me Luck... Any comments on the Power of the FZ1? Is it enough for you experienced riders out there?

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
30 years licensed rider - 10 bikes from 1978 Honda XL250 Motorsport...
Yam IT175, KawaKDX200, Honda XL500R, Honda XL500L, Honda CB400Twin(Hawk), Yamaha FZX750, Yamaha XS11Special, Honda VF1000R and my current Fazer600. A number of years of offroad riding and recently half a dozen Advanced Rider's Courses (Killarney Racetrack - what a pleasure on a Fz6)
Still... I'm no mechanic and have to pay for the services of a qualified mackie for something as simple as sparkplugs...:banghead:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I'm a "young" 60 years old, started riding when I was 54. Took the MSF class back then, was awarded the "Most Improved." (let's just say that my first day out on the range on a Buell Blast was ugly). It took me a month to find a bike I felt I could ride without scaring myself to death (an itty bitty Yamaha). 600 miles later I moved up to a larger displacement Yamaha. 3,600 miles and 8 months later, I moved up to a still larger displacement Yamaha. So I'd been riding for only 8 months and had already bought 3 motorcycles! Do ya think the dealer loved seeing me??

I took my first trip (to Colorado Rockies that summer, after riding for only 10 months) and got hooked on long distance riding. The following summer, my third year of riding, I rode to NH from TX to see the races in Loudon during Laconia Bike Week.

On that trip to NH I realized that the "cruiser" riding position just wasn't me, and sold my Yammie and bought a BMW sport-touring bike. Ahhhh!!! Much better riding position, and I discovered I had the mental and physical stamina (from running marathons) to do really, really long days in the saddle. My total miles to-date is right at 150,000 miles in 6 years. None of that is commuting miles, it's all from taking long cross-country trips. I also participate in Iron Butt Association endurance rides, and have accumulated a few IBA certificates in the last couple of years.

I bought my FZ6 about 18 months ago, to have a small, lightweight, fun bike as an alternate "ride" and for short trips. She's proven to be a more than capable traveler.

As far as technical abilities go, I can be dangerous with a tool in my hand, so I try to stay with the simple stuff, like adding accessories to the BMW and FZ6. A friend does all my BMW maintenance so I usually hang over his shoulder and help or get in the way. Modifications to my FZ are more for long distance comfort than for performance. These include: Powerlet (for heated gear); GPS mount; tall windshield; Yamaha comfort gel seat; Givi V35 side cases and Givi V46 top case.

FZbigthicket.jpg

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW, you obviously take on something with much vigor! You must let us( those of us in NH) know if you decide to come up our way again, we would be glad to show you around a bit, enjoy and keep racking up the miles!!:cheer:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Ninja 250 for x-mas 08 and six months later I went in and picked up my 08 FZ6. I have about 3000 miles under my belt and I pretty much rely on youtube videos for simple technical questions (i.e. videos demonstrating how to change your oil ect.) Ill help if I know what I'm talking about and shut the heck up if I don't.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 35 years old and I've been riding for three years. I did the basic MSF course back when I got my license, but nothing advanced yet.

I always wear full gear, but respect the rights of others to make their own choices.

I've never pulled a wheelie and I have no interest in doing so. Nothing against them - just not my style of riding.

I've never done a track day. Someday I'd like to though. My skills in the twisties are limited.

My first bike was a 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750. I was interested in cruisers at the time, but came to dislike their poor handling and braking. While I owned the Honda I rode about 15,000 miles and took several longer trips on it (including some camping and several group rides). I did ALL of my own maintenance on that bike (including valve checks, modifying the ignition timing, carb work, clutch work, and a bit of electrical work). I'm no mechanic though, and I tend to over-think most situations, but I'm determined to learn as much about my bike as possible.

After an exhaustive search, I decided to get an FZ6 this past spring. I found a new red 2007 and bought it in July 2008. Since then I've continued to do my own maintenance and started to prepare the bike for longer trips (Calsci sheild, tank bag, risers/barbacks, vista cruise done; dual headlight mod will come next; I'd love to get some Givi bags).

I've done one Iron Butt ride on the FZ6 (1000K in under 24h). I'd like to do another. I'd also like to ride to Alaska and take some trips to the East coast and the rockies.

I've never been down at speed, although I did have two stationary near-drops (one with my Honda at a scenic overlook and the other with my FZ6 when taking the bike off the centerstand for the first time).

I'm interested in the history/culture of motorcycles and motorcycling and read/watch just about every motorcycle-related book/movie I can get my hands on.

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
... I tend to throw myself heavily into my hobbies. I try to learn as much as possible about as many aspects of bikes as I can. I read books over and over, and I spend way too much time on various motorcycling forums. My thirst for motocycling knowledge will never be quenched, and I am more than happy to share. :D

wow! you sound like me! I subscribe to stacks of magazines and have purchased a number of books over the last few years. Have you read Total Control (by Lee Parks)? It was one of the most useful books I'd read. BMW's are ridiculously clunky to shift (pre-1200cc boxer's) and no one told me how to smooth that out, until I read Parks's book.

Hope you and bike are recovered from the "get off."

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 25, always messed around on minibikes and dirt bikes as far back as I can remember and got my first actual street bike in May 2005 after taking the MSF course - an '03 BMW F650CSA and put around 13k miles on it before picking up my 08 Raven FZ6 about a week ago.

I've only been down once on the road- about 2 months after getting the BMW I was going hot into a turn on a back road and a deer jumped out of a ditch...I swerved, hit some gravel at the edge of the road and flew into the ditch @ around 40mph and took out a mailbox. In hindsight I think I panicked and the deer most likely would have been across by the time my line got to it.

I'm not a professional mechanic by any means but I have worked pretty extensively on all the cars I've had and spent insane amounts of time on the BMW first fixing the damage from the crash and then continously modding it trying to get it to look/act like a sportbike. Eventually I got tired of the modding and constant maintenance (valve check/adjustment every 6k miles....it was easy, but still :eek:) and when they released the Raven colored FZ6 I couldn't stand it anymore so I sold the BMW to a nice beginner for a decent price and picked up the bike I'd been drooling over for what seemed like forever.

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
I am 25 years old now and started riding when I was 18. My first bike was a 1981 Yamaha xs 400 special and special it was. It was mint condition until I decided to crash it in a turn full of gravel. Lesson learned.

My next bike was a 2004 Suzuki SV 650 naked. Loved the bike and had it for 2 years and put over 10,000 miles on without a problem. Before I got this bike I took the MSF class at a local tech college. 100% of that 10,000 miles was weekend trips as I worked about 1 mile from my house so I have spent a lot of time in the twisties. During this time I bought a couple books on riding to help out with technique one book was Sport Riding Techniques. I would recommend this to anyone. Lots of helpful information.

I sold the SV to get married and buy a house and was without a bike for about 1 year. I bought my 2005 Yamaha FZ6 a couple months ago and have put on about 2,500 miles most of which has been commuting.

I have formal training from Wyotech on automotive technology and chassis fabrication. I have done mostly fabrication since I graduated college and have worked for a professional race team in the American Le Mans Series for 1 year.

Anyone has a question just ask. If know the answer I will tell you and if not I will help you find the right answer.