Yet another FZ1N headlight conversion

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
This is yet another headlight conversion. From VS-02 to FZ1N, because it looks so much better and the VS-02 was starting to rattle. Also, the VS-02 wasn't perfectly straight when you looked from the front and that was driving me crazy. It did serve me well for 1 year though.

I got the FZ1N headlight and speedo cover from a member here. Didn't want to spend more on the speedo bracket so I built one on the cheap. Bought a sheet of metal ($12) and cut it out based on a model from another thread in this forum.

View attachment 50110View attachment 50111

That was just the first prototype. I had to change the shape quite a bit for it to fit the cables and be sturdy enough. You can see how the final product looks like. I got 2 pairs of turn signal bracket ($7 the pair) which I use to hold the headlight and the speedo bracket. It all came out pretty nicely in the end.

View attachment 50112View attachment 50113View attachment 50114

All of this trouble isn't very necessary anymore as you can get a whole set from eBay for a very decent price. Search FZ1N or FZ6N and you should find a complete set for $350 shipped. If only I had seen that before...

SteelRain

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks great man hows it feel on the bike. It doesn't vibrate and rattle like crazy.
I had a vs2 headlight from nubz too worked for the time being but mine rattled bad too. I modified mine and reduced all the extra fairings and crap around it.
I think down the road I might do the fz1n headlight. I would have got it straight off the bat if it was available when I started ripping into mine a few years back. Anyway looks good man thanks for sharing

ps mine sits a little crooked too don't worry you aren't the only one lol

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a heads up the European FZ6N headlight is also pretty sweet! A bit less optimus prime and better looking IMO.

There are a few sellers on evil bay that have it.

Nice bike by the way!

DSC_3911_zps0d402606.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
not to get off topic, but what radiator guard is that?

Radiator guard is the evotech performance one:

Yamaha FZ6 Radiator Guard | Yamaha | Buy Motorcycle Parts

Not the cheapest, but great build quality, really nice powder coating...

And yes, that was the eBay add i was talking about, there are a few that only sell the headlight if you have the fabricating skills to do the bracket yourself:

Head Light Headlight Assembly House Fits for Yamaha FZ6-N 05-08 | eBay

D

Deleted member 24810

Radiator guard is the evotech performance one:

Yamaha FZ6 Radiator Guard | Yamaha | Buy Motorcycle Parts

Not the cheapest, but great build quality, really nice powder coating...

And yes, that was the eBay add i was talking about, there are a few that only sell the headlight if you have the fabricating skills to do the bracket yourself:

Head Light Headlight Assembly House Fits for Yamaha FZ6-N 05-08 | eBay

Does it come with instructions? How difficult was it to install?

Thanks

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it come with instructions? How difficult was it to install?

Thanks

Yes it does. But they are not the clearest instructions, you get an extra rubber grommet that the manual does not mention, so i just used it were it made sens to me, not sure it was correct but it worked.

If you have two hands, a set of allen keys and a philips screw driver it should take you a little less than 10 minutes!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look like it would be to hard to install.

Is that back piece on the speedo included in that or is it something extra?

I don' know to be honest, mine came stock with that headlight!
Keep in mind that the ebay add has the speedo cover for the 2006 model, the big round one.
Not sure what you could do to make it work on a post 06 speedo.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks great man hows it feel on the bike. It doesn't vibrate and rattle like crazy.
I had a vs2 headlight from nubz too worked for the time being but mine rattled bad too. I modified mine and reduced all the extra fairings and crap around it.
I think down the road I might do the fz1n headlight. I would have got it straight off the bat if it was available when I started ripping into mine a few years back. Anyway looks good man thanks for sharing

ps mine sits a little crooked too don't worry you aren't the only one lol

Wow your vs2 looks mean! :) And NICE TATTOO!

My set up does not rattle at all. It's very solid and symmetrical. No comparison to the VS2.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder why they are so different compared to the US version. The US versions just seem so big. Looking for something that is LED but not super tiny like some of the ones on Ebay. The biggest problem I have with buying them off Ebay is you have to guess what they look like! How can I know what I like if I can't see them on a bike. :/

They have different light bulbs!

The US version have two functions, running lights and indicators, the EU version only do indicators.
We don't have any running light laws, but most bikes come wired in a way that gets the headlight to turn on when the bike is on, we use the headlight as running lights, you use the indicators.