Yet another Battery inquiry

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have a question about my second bike (a scooter) but since it has a maintenance free battery, the question can well apply for the battery of FZ6, and so, other people in this forum may also benefit from the answer.

Question:
The battery has went flat since today noon while trying persistently to start the engine.
I know that deep discharges can kill MF Lead-Acid batteries.
I purchased from Amazon today a Battery Tender which I expect to reach my place in 1-2 days.
I am not sure if leaving the battery flat for 1-2 days (while waiting for the battery tender) will actually cause any further harm to it. In that case, I would remove it from the scooter and charge it at a garage.

In a few words:
would I cause any further damage to my battery, if I keep it (nearly) flat for 1-2 days?

Thanks,
Dimos

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if its flat now, another day or two shouldn't make much of a difference however if I had access to a charger I would use it immediatly. If you bring it to a garage, they'd probably use a larger charger with more input amperage. If they have a lower input voltage, its up to you..

Its better to charge the battery (especially a smaller battery) at a lower amperage (.800- 1.5 amp).

I don't know where you live but if your in a cold area, I'd bring it inside where its warmer.

BTW, if voltage is really, really low, some chargers won't recognize it (being hooked up) and won't charge it..

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a million,
I'll probably wait until tomorrow for the Battery Tender (12v @0.8ah) and will take the battery in my room to charge it.

Cheers,
Dimos

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a million,
I'll probably wait until tomorrow for the Battery Tender (12v @0.8ah) and will take the battery in my room to charge it.

Cheers,
Dimos

That should work. But one word of caution: Some MF batteries do not like being drained down at all. So I say you have a 50/50 chance of reviving it with the tender (at least with my luck). Just so your not shocked if it does not hold a charge.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Charging a smaller battery with a high wattage charger can be accomplished by using a low wattage 12 volt light in series as a series ballast.This will drop the current. As the battery charges and it's own internal resistance climbs, the lamp will dim. :rockon:
Keep in mind that what ever you do with batteries, you should always use safety eye ware. Believe me, you never want even the most minute particle of electrolyte on your eye!:eek: Defective batteries can gas and ignite! Bad News!