Yamaha top box lighting informaiton required

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and gals, i recently dropped some cash on the genuine yamaha top box (46l) and the rack that mounts off the passenger hand rails.

After speaking with my local yamaha dealer who stated that there is no official lighting kit for the top box in question i have had to resort to making my own kit to improve rear lighting as the top box does cover the top protion of the light and any car / truck behind from a certain height will not see i am breaking

So my question is, i found a thred on a guy doing a DIY install of lights on his top box and side cases on the forum not to long ago but cant find it now. (have spent hours searching)

It was ver detialed and i want to follow this to make my own lighting kit.
Or if there are any of you out there that have attacked this in a different way then please let me know i am very open to alternatives

Thanks

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
hello!
I have this one Yamaha 46L is it like yours?
yamaha-46l-topcase-38-500x500.jpg

and its exacly like this GIVI
Monolock--E470-SIMPLY-III.jpg

and they sell this brake light kit to this case
GIVI E94 - Cases
GIE94_350.jpg

For mine, as I wanted both brake and driving light, I made some simple hi power led circuit and inserted it inside the "red case" of the topcase.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
You my friend are an absolute LEGEND!

I have been trying to find a matching top box in the give range for ages and have not been able to find that one. Cheers i will just straight on that. I am assuming the light kit is only for the one middle strip?

Will make some custom lighting for the sides to possible add in indicators but you saved me alot of work.

Thanks again

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
yes, just for the middle strip and stop light only!
I advise you to avoid the givi break light kit or to change the contacts between the plate and the case. I have some friends who have it and the contacts between the plate and the case just works 50% of the time they should. they get verdigris (is this the word?) and no contact at all.

Glad to help!

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also heard of people complaining about the contact, Id there an alternative you know of?

Or would i be best to build all the wiring with the givi kit and just change the the contact part to somehting more robust from an electrical shop?

even so i am glad there is a basic kit i can buy and can just improve the parts.

Thanks again

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the kit is very expensive just for the breaking light.
if you remove the cover from the topcase (2 screws) you will find that the red stripe over there its a box.
I open it (it has screws), cut a piece of electronic board to fit inside, add some power leds to the board, driving and braking lights. pass the wires from there inside the topcase (it has the places for the wires, we just need to drill the marked spots) and hot glue the wire inside the case.
in the bottom of the case we have, again, a marked round form matching a similar one in the plate, that's the spot to cut and mount the contacts. I used a simple 3 poles waterproof connection. when connected it stays inside the case.
I only remove the case in some situations as they advise 120k/h max speed :rockon:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
That is what i had in mind to, just curious about the contacts, a 3 pole or maybe even more to add in indicators would be excellent could then add LED's into the big red refectors for a strip of indicators, running lights and also breaking lights so add to visability, i am very excited to under take this product, will post up the results when i get it all together

Thanks for your help

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a slightly different case but installed something pretty similar to what you are describing. I have brake and running lights along the center of the case, then turn signals that start on the back and wrap to the sides, although my case is different. I have the E460: GIVI E460 - Cases & Top Cases

I used LED strip lights that were about 12" long and you could cut them down in 3" increments. I think my center is 9" wide for the brake and running lights. Signals are about 6" long. They are somewhat visible during the day and really stand out at night. Make sure you get the brighter led strips. To wire into the bike I ran a 4 prong trailer connector out the back of the case behind the trip pannel then attached the other end under the givi rack. I can show pictures later but away from home until sunday.

4 Prongs:
1) running lights/brake light
2) Lt Turn
3) Right turn
4) Light strip inside box

Might as well have a dome light inside the box while your at it. Just hide the switch.You combine the running light and brake light circuit before the case connector.

For running/brake lights are on the same led strip You will need to run some resisters and a diode (allows energy flow in one direction). This dims the led and then they get full power from the brake wire but prevend back flow into the bike's running light circuit. Tapped in under left rear side pannel on bike. Some bench testing is required to get the proper diming for the running lights.

I'd probably do this again to my case but it takes some time to get it right and fitting the lights and wires under the trip panel on my case was a PIA. Dremmel was helpful at times.

I ordered items on line but my local auto parts store has both the LED strips (with test buttons) and the trailer wiring harness (need female and male connectors).

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It occurred to me that those outside the US may not use the same connector. This is an trailer extension which gives you both the female and male ends and Is what I used.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47115-4-Wire-Flat-Extension/dp/B0002Q7C0I/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1351258088&sr=1-4&keywords=trailer+4+flat+wiring+harness]Hopkins 47115 48" 4-Wire Flat Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers guys, the help with the connecters is great. been looking into which one will suit best. i deffo want the ability to run break / running and indicators to a nice smart connector that i can unplug on the rare occasion on the box comes off the bike. my dad is an electrician so i know he has some parts and all the cable and most parts required. should be able to get a decent lighting system over the next couple of weeks and try and make it as OEM as possible

Not to fussed about the internal light, but if i was to go the whole way could also run a 12v power there to charge things maybe

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I have the Yamaha tail rack and a big Givi (E460 ?) on there.

I looked at the lighting kit, but it seemed pricey. I ended up getting a cheap red LED strip from eBay and stuck it to the edge of the Yamaha tail rack (sides and back). I wired it into the tail light and I'm good to go, even if I remove the box.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea the givi break light system is pricey, but it saves me some work as it is made to fit into the light with no mod so i have ordered that, i have also ordered some flat (flush) indicators to mount to a simular location as where "TeacherJoe" has your lights for my indicators and also brought some strips of SMD's so put in the larger reflectors as running lights. also brought some waterproof external couplers to make it all durable but also the abilty to break the system to remove the box.

Hopefully the install will take place the weekend if all the lights and connectors come on time. Will be sure to post up pics of the over result for those that are interested