Yamaha snowmobile question???

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Since my FZ6 is parked for the long Northern Michigan Winter, I've been doing a bit of snowmobiling to help pass the time.

I'm currently riding an old 1993 Polaris XLT sled which is really beginning to show it's age. For years, I was a 2 stroke purist who would have never even considered a 4 stroke sled. I believe the technology has caught up, and eventually, 2 stroke sleds will be a thing of the past. Just look at the marine industry... carb and EFI motors are dead technology.

Since I already have the FZ6, I'm familiar with Yamaha quality and engineering. I'm considering a 2009 or 2010 Yamaha Apex (998 cc inline 4) or an RS Vector (1049 cc 3 cylinder). They appear to be quality sleds that have lots to offer.

I'm tired of buying expensive 2 cycle oil which runs around $35-$40 per gallon. Also, I'm tired of my snowmobile clothes stinking of exhaust. 2 stroke sled mileage sucks with the average being right around 11-12 mpg. With my current ride, a 150 mile day will end up costing me around $50 with fuel and oil expenses. 4 strokes get around 18 mpg, and don't burn any oil. You fill the crankcase with fresh oil in at the beginning of the season and only change it as needed.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these sleds? I've read the reviews, and watched the youtube videos of people riding them. I'm just wondering if anybody on this site has any info on them. I'm also betting a 4 stroke sled engine will last significantly longer than a 2 stroke engine will.

Thanks!

Last edited: