Yamaha MT-09

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the only color that does anything for me:

2014-Yamaha-MT-09-EU-Matt-Grey-Studio-001.jpg

Nice concept, needs a little cosmetic refinement ;)

2014 Yamaha MT-09 forum here

Last edited by a moderator:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
as scott said its a nice concept but that headlight is not to my taste. there is potential of a great bike tho so well done Yamaha

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
V-Twin/Inline twins have torque - lots of torque and low redlines.
I4s are high HP, low torque rev monsters.
The triple is a blend of the two, it sacrifices a bit of top end (not much) and gets a lot of torque in the process. A triple will probably lose to a 4 cyl at the end of a long straight, but it'll spank it in acceleration and has a much smoother, more constant power band.

And soundwise - it's good - if they do a 'crossplane-like' crankshaft, that triple will be music to the soul.

So they keep bores roughly the same and stroke it?

I gotta lose my hate for new things and like me a triple then. Torque is nice.

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
10 more horsepower and 50+lbs lighter (according to one spot I read, 115hp and 415lbs) than the FZ8...Why didn't they make this in the first place?? All it needs is that huge fender taken off and it looks pretty good. I know I will for sure be taking one of these for a test spin if we get them over here!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
One of the things that caught my attention is the Ride-By-Wire throttle. Also the the (D-Mode) that let you adjust the throttle response could be pretty handy.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So they keep bores roughly the same and stroke it?

I gotta lose my hate for new things and like me a triple then. Torque is nice.

Another way to think of it is...
If you take 900cc and divide it by 4 keeping the stroke the same. Then take 900 cc and divide it by 3, keeping the stroke the same, the diameter of the piston becomes larger. :)

The 3 cylinder now has the same stroke but the power is made by a larger piston at 120 degree intervals instead of the standard inline 4 producing power at 180 degree intervals. This increases torque and you may loose some power band at the upper rpms but your larger torque has done it's job at the lower end already. It's really how and when you're using your power.
My SV1000s V-twin is so much fun right out of the gate and because it's a short stroke twin it has a wide power band and higher redline.

Yamaha's triple will be a great engine! :rockon:

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another way to think of it is...
If you take 900cc and divide it by 4 keeping the stroke the same. Then take 900 cc and divide it by 3, keeping the stroke the same, the diameter of the piston becomes larger. :)

The 3 cylinder now has the same stroke but the power is made by a larger piston at 120 degree intervals instead of the standard inline 4 producing power at 180 degree intervals. This increases torque and you may loose some power band at the upper rpms but your larger torque has done it's job at the lower end already. It's really how and when you're using your power.
My SV1000s V-twin is so much fun right out of the gate and because it's a short stroke twin it has a wide power band and higher redline.

Yamaha's triple will be a great engine! :rockon:

I was looking at the bore / stroke of all the FZ-series on Yama's website today, and that's more or less what I was seeing. The whole piston got bigger, bore and stroke, but it was still very over-square. Some models gained more stroke than others.

Bigger volume means more kaboom, I suppose, and that means more torque.

Also I am jealous of your SV. I really like v-twins, especially the sv-650, but a 1000 will do. :D

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
From the spec sheet:
$7,990 (Liquid Graphite) Available from September 2013
$7,990 (Rapid Red) Available from September 2013

Interesting!

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
From the spec sheet:
$7,990 (Liquid Graphite) Available from September 2013
$7,990 (Rapid Red) Available from September 2013

Interesting!

Add another $1000 for us Canadians.

Whats with Yamaha and the lack of abs as an option? They really need to catch up with the other bike manufacturers.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Yamaha has been making triples before Triumph. My neighbor had a 850 triple back in the 70's.
The new 850 looks much better.

Yamaha had an XS750 and XS850 shaft drive triple in the old days. Of course Suzuki and Kawasaki had their 2 stroke triples as well, Laverda had a 1000 or 1100 triple in the 70s as well so triples are nothing new nor the preserve of Triumph.

This one looks cool, of course it won't come here :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha had an XS750 and XS850 shaft drive triple in the old days. Of course Suzuki and Kawasaki had their 2 stroke triples as well, Laverda had a 1000 or 1100 triple in the 70s as well so triples are nothing new nor the preserve of Triumph.

This one looks cool, of course it won't come here :spank:

There are boats train and trucks! :D

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope this will be just the start of things to come as the Triple really interests me. If I were in the market today, I'd probably get another FZ6 bc you can't beat the price and they offer everything I want while this new bike lacks a half fairing, tank range that I need for my long commute every day. I'll wait to see if they come up with a mini FJR model based on this engine with a beefier subframe and better passenger accommodations and then I'd be really interested. Make a model that is a more sportier competitor to the SV650 or a Tiger 800 and then I am sold.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope this will be just the start of things to come as the Triple really interests me. If I were in the market today, I'd probably get another FZ6 bc you can't beat the price and they offer everything I want while this new bike lacks a half fairing, tank range that I need for my long commute every day. I'll wait to see if they come up with a mini FJR model based on this engine with a beefier subframe and better passenger accommodations and then I'd be really interested. Make a model that is a more sportier competitor to the SV650 or a Tiger 800 and then I am sold.

Yamaha keeps indicating more models to be announced soon:

Yamaha Says FZ-09 is “Tip of the Iceberg” « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

FZ-09 and MT-09. Why the 2 digits? They'll use them I expect. FZ11? 1100cc'ish triple?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Re: Yamaha FZ-09

I really like the looks of the FZ-09. Maybe my 2004 FZ6 will be replaced by one of these.

I'd prefer a bit of wind protection, but with the horrible buffeting that I get on my 2004, maybe the naked style of the FZ-09 is the way to go, as long as I can retrofit a bi-xenon HID projector into it. And hopefully somebody will offer a small windscreen for it too.

It appears that Yamaha forgot their lesson and is going back to the crappy style tachometer:
img.jpg

At least it will be similar to my 2004 dash.... :(

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
correct me if I'm wrong - but I feel that all of this talk of a "Crossplane Triple" is ludicrous - a crossplane crankshaft is essentially two planes intersecting - creating the 90* offset for each cylinder - a great design (ridiculously difficult to produce as I learned from a friend who was involved with making crankshafts). If you were to have a "crossplane" triple - the crankshaft arms would need to be separated by 120*, maybe something we could call a tri-plane crankshaft, but not a crossplane?

I guess I'm getting too hung up on the name, when all we should really worry about is the fact that, if Yamaha keeps this concept, they'll have a great motor, regardless of the crank style -

On that note, I doubt that they're going to make the MT-09 with the cross(tri)plane crank, it's a much more involved and expensive manufacturing process which shows in the fact that the R1 has the crossplane crank, but the R6 does not. I feel that it's going to remain a top end differentiator of the Yamaha sportbike - I see this bike (MT-09) fitting into the bottom of the middleweight streetfighter class, being a budget option for the triumphs. That said, when they release the R1 triple - I'd be surprised if it didn't have the triplane, and I could definitely see them doing this with the R6 as well.

Wait a minute, Arent all tripples 120 degree (tri-plane) motors? If it were a flat plane you woul have 2 pistons coming TDC and one coming BDC at once, which wouldnt make for a balanced motor at all. If they were a true cross plane you would have a piston coming to TDC every 90 degrees besides for one 90 degree mark that would be empty.
I have a Yamaha SXr 700 snowmobile tripple (2 smoker of course) it would be a tri plane motor fashioned motor with the each connecting rod at 120 degrees of each other..
I mean.. theres really no other way to have a tripple crank be designed is there??