Yamaha lowered FZ6 seat

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after months of exploring and looking into was of getting this seat, I finally received the lowered seat from Germany a couple of days ago. Fit was perfect as it should be - it is made by Yamaha. The cover seems to be of a different material. The seat IS lower and I feel it most when backing into spaces. Have not tried yet to put on center stand and take it off while on the seat. The seat is very comfortable, but I ride in the city and my rides are all less than 10 miles. Cost was $355 after conversion. Overall, very happy with it. I am 5'8" with 30" inseam.

Congrats on the new seat! :thumbup: It "appears" that Wild Hair sells the same seat, but for $455. Is it possible for any of us other mortals to order from the same place you did, or was through a "friend of a friend?" How long did it actually take for your seat to arrive? Wild Hair says 6 weeks.
Thanks

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was the local dealer from a town where my friend if from Freiburg. If there are enough people, maybe we you can get a discount if you do a group buy. It took about 10 days to get from Germany. He sent it out on the day of the money transaction. I'll email my friend and see if that guy speaks/writes in English. :cool:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, after months of exploring and looking into was of getting this seat, I finally received the lowered seat from Germany a couple of days ago. Fit was perfect as it should be - it is made by Yamaha. The cover seems to be of a different material. The seat IS lower and I feel it most when backing into spaces. Have not tried yet to put on center stand and take it off while on the seat. The seat is very comfortable, but I ride in the city and my rides are all less than 10 miles. Cost was $355 after conversion. Overall, very happy with it. I am 5'8" with 30" inseam.

Congrats Dani! Perhaps when we meet up again, I might have a sit on it?

Does Yamaha specifically say how much lower it is?

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the local dealer from a town where my friend if from Freiburg. If there are enough people, maybe we you can get a discount if you do a group buy. It took about 10 days to get from Germany. He sent it out on the day of the money transaction. I'll email my friend and see if that guy speaks/writes in English. :cool:

Count me in for a group buy!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha /dealer says 3cm lower. It feels a little shorter and looks shorter, but I can't say if it truly 3cm shorter or not. I didn't measure it. Maybe I will when I get back to Boston and the weather will stop raining!!! I promise I will take more pictures. SteveinDenmark had nice pictures comparing the regular seat to the shorter seat. This is a different model supposedly for the FZ6S2. I just want to thank Steve for letting me know about the seat and helping out!

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're bummed too Dani! Good news for you though! We should be making another run during the foliage... it will be kind of improptu as we wait for the colors to hit peak here and hope for good weather. I'm going to use the same route but not the Mt Washington as it will likely be closed by then.

I've been slowly modding my stock seat while riding with the comfort seat. I've carved at least an inch out of it, dished the seating area and taken most of the sides out where the rider's thighs rest. Overall, I'm willing to bet this will be over 1" shaved. Best part is, it still looks stock thus far. I plan on covering all my shaved work with a very low density, highly compressible foam to retain shape and smooth out the finished detail. I'm building the tailbone area to create more of a short backrest kind of like the Top Saddlery seats. I may end up making a custom cover for it later. When it is done, I'd be happy to let anyone try it out. :D

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds impressive. Are you planning on putting a gel insert or is it comfortable enough? Will be happy to do foilage run (except first week in November)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my seat on for a few months now and it is great.

Jannie and I rode to France and back from Denmark last month, 3500km in all and I have no complaints at all about the seat. We did 900km in one day and it was not a problem. Jannie also finds the seat to be comfortable.

Steve

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds impressive. Are you planning on putting a gel insert or is it comfortable enough? Will be happy to do foilage run (except first week in November)

I've thought about two small ones right where the bones will be resting. My only issue with gel is when it gets hot it STAYS hot! Same with the cold. So, gel is still in question. I may to a temp staple job without and then try sandwiching these two gel pieces between the stock foam and my smoothing foam. I've got to take some pics of it too! :D

bluerexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Any word on a group buy or anyway to get one of these in the states. I want in if anyone knows how to get one. Thanks!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am still waiting for a reply from the German dealer. I got it from Germany through a friend. He emailed the dealer in English yesterday and we still didn't get a reply. August in Germany is a big vacation month. I don't know if he is there this week or not. Here is the web site of the dealership and the guy's name is Bernd. I am waiting for a reply from him to let you guys know if he even speaks English. :cool:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw your post last night and shaved it this morning. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but didn't know how. All in all, it was pretty easy, the only problem I have is with the staple gun I have. It doesn't seem to be powerful enough to go through the thicker plastic on the seat. I am going to get some smaller sharper staples and maybe that will fix my problem, if not? got to buy a new staple gun.
The comfort of the seat is great, I thought I might be able to feel the unevenness of the foam, but I can't. It is a big difference when it comes to height, hard to believe shaving 1 inch of foam off can make it feel like you lowered the bike about 4 inches.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought about two small ones right where the bones will be resting. My only issue with gel is when it gets hot it STAYS hot! Same with the cold. So, gel is still in question. I may to a temp staple job without and then try sandwiching these two gel pieces between the stock foam and my smoothing foam. I've got to take some pics of it too! :D

well temp shouldn't be a problem since you're wearing proper gear right :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well temp shouldn't be a problem since you're wearing proper gear right :thumbup:

I am ATGATT and guess what? That hot sun gel seat is HOT for the entire ride home. I've taken to parking where the bike will be shaded for the last hour or so before leaving work. This is through work pants as well as my overpants with padding! :eek: :D

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never got a reply from the dealer in Germany after emailing him in English...oh well...
Now, for my review. I have been wanting to get this seat for months...probably almost half a year. I must say that I have gotten used to the stock seat in the mean time. :) Going from a narrow and lower Ninja 500 (EX500) was a big change for me.
The lower seat is very comfortable and is shaped a little more curvy. The otherday I put the bike on the center stand as I always do when I fill up and seating on the bike it was much easier to get it off the center stand. Keep in mind that I have a Givi E52 trunk which tips my bike's weight distribution a little back when on the center stand. I have not ridden a long distance in this seat since most of my riding is commuting. The seat is noticeably lower and I can easily flat foot (I'm 5'8" with pants size inseam of 30"). Overall, I am happy with my purchase, but I do find it amusing that the longer and harder I looked for this seat the more time I had to get used to the stock seat which is not a bad seat. I am "small boned" and find that it is not even the seat height but the bike's width together with the seat height that make a difference for me. I must say that when I sat on the GSX650F with a 30.3" stated seat height it felt taller than my Ninja 500 with the 30.5" seat because of its width. In any case, now that I have my PUIG Sport screen, Motivation sliders, Givi trunk and lower seat I am all set with my mods. I would have liked to have dual headlight, but don't want to do the mod myself. I can get a baby out in an emergency C/S in about 2 minutes, but I feel wimpy when it comes to working on my bike. :scared:

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have liked to have dual headlight, but don't want to do the mod myself. I can get a baby out in an emergency C/S in about 2 minutes, but I feel wimpy when it comes to working on my bike. :scared:

Dani, I'd be happy to help you out and do this for you. Love doing it and now that I've done it twice, it's easy as pie! Just let me know.