Yamaha FZ6 vs. HD Iron 883 vs. F800ST?

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the gripe with chain drive? Fit a Scottoiler and never have to lube or adjust your chain again.

I hear your point for paved roads, but in "extreme" conditions... I can see how the op might want to get away from chain drive. I do two miles a day on dirt and crushed granate, it doesn't mater what you do to the chain it takes a toll.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at the Honda NT700V. Less $ then the F800ST, integrated luggage, ABS combined brakes, adjustable windshield, shaft drive, it's a Honda...........
I ride with mostly HDs, I think the Iron is "good looking" not as much as the FZ6 at least on my eyes, just keep in mind that you WILL regret it, not to mention the 1950 technology with a 2015 price tag.

Last edited:

jakury

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an old sportster that I love, rode and worked on every day for a few years. (rebuilt transmission, top end, brakes, clutch, etc etc etc)
I have kept it for occasional Harley type rides and events.
In feb 2009 I got a new 08 fz6 that I have put 23,000 miles on with only 2 sets of tires (needs 3rd now) and oil changes, all play and no work makes me happy. I still work on the Harley to keep it road ready but have only put 300-400 miles on it in 2 years.
Go for the FZ6 and get an old sportster for the harley guy in you, the old ironheads are dirt cheap right now.

for both bikes full coverage Rider insurance $120.00 per year.
Rider ins not in georgia yet though.
Some ins consider FZ6 a sport bike others consider it a standard. shop around.

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
The sporties have the torque but no speed, at least not that a normal human could maintain for any distance, and the 883's have low resale value.

If you want the HD go with at least a 1200 or bigger, 2004 up have the rubber mounted motor, you will only loose a few teeth instead of all of them.

I love my V-ROD but my FZ6 is a hoot, light weight, fun, comfortable on the freeway and at triple digits, I love to wind it up and let her go.

Go rent the HD for a day and see if it's the bike for you.

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
i see everyones comments about the harley..some are valid and some are based on an old way of thinking. the evo engine is a magnificent design. thats why it has been the basis for racing for many years, flat track racers, and 1/4 mile racers. yea they dont have the top end as much but 120 is 120 which ever bike your on. i would agree that the 1200 is a better engine due to the hp/tq numbers lower down than the 883. i have ridden all sorts of bike from my first vstar 650 to a sportster 1200, to a 1340 dyna wide glide, a suzuki 800 and now my fz6..i love my fz6 because it does handle way better than any of the other bikes. but any of the others are WAY more comfortable for a long ride. i respect all motorcycle technology, and i dont know much about bmw except that they have been making wonderfully engineered motorcycles for a VERY long time. with all that said if you do go towards harley go 1200, or purchase the 1200 conversion kit from screamin eagle will get ALOT of tq and hp down low and is very responsive.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 883 makes about 45 hp and tops out at about 110 mph. Your call...:thumbup:

The 1200cc kit is a nice add, but whats' the point? Oh and if you ride a 1200 like a sport bike, not the parade the bottom end likes to let go at about 20K.

Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
fz6 outperforms both those bikes , if you want torque get a fz1 or bking,
or that new 6 cyclinder bmw:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't rule out a left over or used Zuki SV1000s or used Honda RC51 or Zuki TL 1000. There are a lot of Japanese twins that will make you smile and they are very dependable. You want torque? I've unwittingly launched the front of SV a couple of times. Still can't understand why there are only a few Japanese twins still being manufactured but not as sport bikes.

Chain? I don't have no stinkin problem with a chain! Clean it, lube it, ride!

If I was going to HD it would surely be the XR1200 with Vance and Hines exhaust. Brub brub brub bru brub! They even have some nice big Showa tubes for front suspenders and a cast aluminum swing arm. But I'd much rather have a Buell if they were still around.
Love the SV1000s :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an 883 once!!!! for a trip to the bike races, when i had no bike of my own to ride....

It was the worst ride of my life...the bike was completely and utterly useless on the open road....uncomfortable to the extreme, plus i nearly got blown off it above 80km/h.

It didnt stop...and i mean, didnt stop, worst brakes i have ever used! It wobbled around corners, and squatted badly under acceleration...

Possibly the worst bike i have ridden.

Now the XR1200, that aint a bad looking bike, reasonable amount of HP, half decent suspension, etc....and a great platform for a Cafe Racer project...dont worry, i have given it a bit of thought.... ;)

Took an F800R for a ride....lovely bike.

But i have to agree with Cliff, there are heaps of Japanese parralel twins that are cheap to maintain, and go real good...the SV series, both 650 and 1000 are a great case in point....both great bikes, especialy the 1000, which could still very well be the next bike i add to my garage, after i finish my curent project of restoring another great Japanese twin, the Yamaha TRX850....

Most of these twins have one thing in common, low weight, which equates to nimble handling in most cases....

:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think the OP needs to go out and try out some bikes, it's not about number crunching, it's about feeling

i also wouldn't say the fz6 is particularly high maintainence, it's pretty reliable, and you just need to give the chain a quick spray of lube every week (depending on mileage/weather), it takes all of 5 minutes.

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. After further careful consideration I have decided to keep the FZ6 for another season.
Now the white stuff must go.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
i see everyones comments about the harley..some are valid and some are based on an old way of thinking. the evo engine is a magnificent design. thats why it has been the basis for racing for many years, flat track racers, and 1/4 mile racers. yea they dont have the top end as much but 120 is 120 which ever bike your on..

So as long as all you do is full throttle for 1/4 mile or 4 lap 30 mph races on dirt, don't go with the mighty evo engine.

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
If you commute, an 883 Sportster is a great bike! No valve adjustments, regular gas, no chain to oil, bulletproof. But put some proper rear shocks on it. People sell the Sportsters short -- they're not a sport bike, but for practical real world transportation, they're pretty damn good.

I like BMWs, but I'm not sure what a F800 gets you over an FZ6 frankly.

ibsrp

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a 2009 883 HD and I am very impressed with it. It is geared very tall and has plenty of power.

It's also pretty easy to work on as well.

I would do it again in a heartbeat !!!!!!!!

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
The F800ST also made my short list before deciding to look solely at the FZ6's (this is a decision I've been battling since November). For my consideration:

Pros:
I sunk into the F800 VERY easily. I loved that the bike fit me and not the other way around.
I love that it has a lower centre of gravity (supposedly) although I have never taken it for a test yet - might have that opportunity in May (thanks BMW). I was confident picking it up from it's resting position and didn't have to wince due to weight distribution. (I'm a small gal). I can't stress enough that it just FIT in every way.
While it's an expensive bike, for the expense you get alot of bells and whistles that you would otherwise have to add to an FZ (for example heated grips, factory lowered seat/suspension, etc.)

Cons:
Expensive - hard to find used, and new is just - well new from the stealership.
Insurance was a big factor - the F800ST was at least $200-$300 more a year.
Some of the reviews I read got a little scary. Some poor guy had the bike in the shop more than it was on the road - a case of the mechanical gremlins.
The final nail was me thinking if I ride it for a week trip, and if it breaks down on me, which of the two - a Yamaha or the BMW - would be more reliable and which one would I be able to find a dealer or a regular bike shop along the way that would be able to get me quickly back on the road.

I voted for the Yamaha.

Steve75

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to own an F800ST (for about 1 year) and it's a solid bike, easy to ride, decent power...but...it's really dull! The FZ6 has a lot of character in comparison and I find it to be far more rewarding and fun! (IMHO) Good luck with your search!:D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
f800r.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXJ6siu8ttY]YouTube - BMW Motorcycles F800R-World Stunt Champ Chris Pfeiffer goes off at BMW Headquarters in Munich![/ame]

Last edited: