Yamaha FZ6 vs. HD Iron 883 vs. F800ST?

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, riders...

I do have an FZ6'07. But lately I have found myself thinking about the Iron. Maybe it's just voices in my head but I really like the idea of the belt drive. Maybe it's FZ6's lack of torque (perceived?). I know these are very different bikes and it's hard for me to justify the price difference for F800ST...
But how would you compare these three bike?
Another consideration is insurance cost: the BMW is twice less expensive than the Yamaha. And Iron is 1/4 of the Yamaha ($700/$400/$180 for a year).

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I could not admit to owning a bike called an Iron!

You'll probably find either the HD or Beemer more interesting than the FZ6.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
whoa. Here's the similarity. They're all motorcycles.
Heres something to think about. Admit also there is an image and practicality that goes with the type of bike you ride. Gear (i hope), clothing, type of rides you do, where you ride? Let those answers decide for you.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The beemer is a great bike, but wont excite you like the FZ6....About 30 less hp at the rear wheel, but more than enough power for most middleweight riders...

Both the Yamaha & the BMW will give you many many thousand kilometres of trouble free riding...as for the Harley, Heavier, less power, lower spec suspenders, brakes, and engine management systems....

That;s why the Harley is so cheap .....based on a 40 year old design, rather than an evolution of a great motor from the last 15 years, in reference to the Yamaha....and re evolution of the Rotax motor in the BMW....It's a modern design, that has proved to be bulletproof, in a whole range of similar BMW's that are proving to be big sellers worldwide....go with the quality, not the Harley badge....it's over hyped, and behind the times....

just MHO.....

:thumbup:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I can understand the appeal of all those bikes...
the 883 is however not a good motorcycle,
if you can afford it I'd step up to the 1200
version Sportster instead

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
So what you really want is something like the FZ6, but which makes power in a more friendly twin-like fashion? If so the F800's are supposed to be just what you're looking for. I lusted after them, but I balked at the 2x price compared to the fizzer.

I've spent an afternoon on a sportster 1200s, and I get the appeal of all that torque - it was a ton of fun to goose the throttle at 2k rpm and get launched back in the saddle, but all the negatives of that bike just make it nowhere near consideration for me. It was heavy as hell for its size, the overall power was just not what it should be, it handled like poop, and stopped just as poorly. And I didn't even have to maintain it... someone else did.

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to agree with these other guys, the Harley is a totally different style of riding, but if that's what you are looking for is a drastic change from your fz then it's the way to go. If your just looking for a similar but different bike to the fz then the Beemer is your next ride. The mid range / torque of the bmw's twin is something that our fz's are lacking, and you would love from the Beemer. :thumbup:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd probably go for a ducati monster if you wanted something with character/torque/fun, there's probably a boatload of other bike though that fit your needs

what exactly do you want from the bike?

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd probably go for a ducati monster if you wanted something with character/torque/fun, there's probably a boatload of other bike though that fit your needs

what exactly do you want from the bike?
I have two complaints about the FZ6: lack of torque at low RPM and high insurance cost.
As inconveniences I would list chain drive and my wrist hurts after an hour on the bike. The latter I would think is my fault -- bad riding position and I can adjust.

F800ST pros: belt drive, ABS, heated grips, nice nice engine, low insurance (comparing to the Yamaha), low center of mass...
Cons: high price. I know we've got the F800R, but for the price difference (~ $1K) I would not put up with the chain.

Iron 883 pros: low price, very low insurance, belt drive... Cons: heavy, underpowered, sub-standard suspension.

Yet another option: put on the PR3's on the bike (still on the OEM Bridgestones 020??) and give it another season, maybe I can learn to rev it higher and lean lower. :)

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the gripe with chain drive? Fit a Scottoiler and never have to lube or adjust your chain again.

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
forget about the BMW and the Iron 883 a Harley XR1200X is way better or a used Buell XB model. I have a two 2007 FZ6's and a 2010 Buell XB12XT and love it ! It's also belt drive and I've had no problems at all with my Buell

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two complaints about the FZ6: lack of torque at low RPM and high insurance cost.
As inconveniences I would list chain drive and my wrist hurts after an hour on the bike. The latter I would think is my fault -- bad riding position and I can adjust.

F800ST pros: belt drive, ABS, heated grips, nice nice engine, low insurance (comparing to the Yamaha), low center of mass...
Cons: high price. I know we've got the F800R, but for the price difference (~ $1K) I would not put up with the chain.

Iron 883 pros: low price, very low insurance, belt drive... Cons: heavy, underpowered, sub-standard suspension.

Yet another option: put on the PR3's on the bike (still on the OEM Bridgestones 020??) and give it another season, maybe I can learn to rev it higher and lean lower. :)

Have you done some research on Insurance costs or did you just ask one company? I can't imagine GA is that different from NJ. I use Progressive and pay $250/year for my FZ6.. full coverage.

As for torque.. instantaneous low end torque is fun, but having spent a bit of time on a cruiser I quickly started to miss the agility and light weight of my FZ6.

To each their own, of course, but I wouldn't trade my FZ6 for either of your options.

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
A belt will (almost always) out last a chain, with no mess or noise. Unless you have a race rep sport bike and need every ounce of power to your rear tire, a chain will never beat a belt drive for everyday riding. Wish they made one for the FZ!

"Just my 2 Cents" :rolleyes: