Yamaha "Comfort" Seat

markg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys - seen a lot of discussion on here about saddles, and was wondering if the comfort seat from Yamaha, the one wiht the Gel in it is an improvement. I know saddles are a personal choice, and one that works for some may not work for others, but just trying to get the pulse of the group before dropping the green on this saddle.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers - Mark

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I always meant to post this message in response to another member's question, but I don't think I ever did. So, I'll post it now.

A bit of background first. I initially bought the Comfort Seat but then ran across a member selling their Corbin for a steal. This all happened within a month of each other, so I had the fortune of being able to compare the stock seat, Corbin, and Comfort Seat all at the same time.

Hopefully, this helps.

"I've decided to keep the Corbin based on a few different factors (which is not to take away at all from the Comfort Seat). I wanted to try both equally to make sure I made the right decision and have done that, I think.

The most important factor for me was getting rid of the "hot spots" that I would feel after about 30 minutes on the stock seat. Both of these seem to do a great job of that. The Corbin is, by touch, much more firm than the Comfort Seat, so I wasn't sure it would do the trick. But, whatever type of foam Corbin uses works wonders. The seat IS firm, but supportive. It also seems to soften the longer you're on it during a ride. That may just be my imagination, but I think it's true. As for the Comfort Seat, it's great too at relieving the "hot spots". The deciding factor here was that the Corbin has much more of a "cup" shape...that is, you seem to sit IN the Corbin and ON the Comfort Seat.

Another thing about both of these seat, as compared to the stock seat...they're both HEAVY. I would say the Comfort Seat weighs twice as much as the stock and the Corbin, maybe three times as much! But, I think the weight of both of them helps to dampen out most vibrations that get translated to your butt from the bike. But you still get good feel for what's going on under you.

Really, the final, and least important factor in my decision was looks. I like how the Comfort Seat looks on the bike, but I LOVE the way the Corbin looks. It's got a sleek style to it. Plus, not that I'll ever do this, but the Corbin offers the option of adding the passenger backrest. Also, and this is pure vanity, but I like the prestige of owning a Corbin and knowing that if I need to have it adjusted (such as having the "nose" enlarged to further keep me from sliding forward while braking), Corbin will do that for a nominal charge.

There are only two downsides that I could find with the Comfort Seat. The first, and this is purely for looks, so not really important, was that you can see the outline of the gel pad that's under the seat cover. It's not so obvious that it's ugly, but it always kinda bugged me for some reason. The other, and this was a slightly bigger problem, but still not something that couldn't be tolerated, was I found that if you parked the bike in the sun on a warm day and came back later, the gel pad REALLY heats up and seems to put that heat back into your butt. One day it was hot enough to be uncomfortable for the first few miles. That was pretty big in the decision-making process.

One more thing. I felt the build-quality of the Corbin was just a bit better for this reason...the Comfort Seat, like the stock seat, uses staples to attach the seat cover on the underside. The Corbin, on the other hand, uses rivets to attach it's seat cover. I just feel like it would last much longer with fewer problems in that area.

Oh, and if you decide to go with a Corbin, I would suggest you get the regular leather on the seating portions. The one I've got, I bought from another member and didn't have the option. I've got the "Carbon Fiber" looking seat, and while it looks great, it IS more slippery than the stock seat or Comfort Seat. Everyone that has the "Carbon Fiber" type seat says this and it's true. It's not BAD, though. I may do what wrightme did and add that stuff that you line cabinets with in black to the seating area. It sounds like that really does the trick.

All-in-all, I would say the Corbin is worth the price. But, instead of buying one new, I would look for someone selling their's or watch Ebay. You can definitely find one cheaper than new if you're patient. I got the deal of the century on mine (which is probably another factor in keeping it). But I don't want to dissuade you from looking at the Comfort Seat, either. Both of them are light years better than the stock, no doubt. Plus, the Comfort Seat can be had new for around $200 on Ebay if you can find it. If money's no option, I would say go with the Corbin. Otherwise, I believe you'd be perfectly happy with the Comfort Seat. I would recommend either of them to anyone.
"

You can find the Comfort Seat now for around $150, so when it comes to cost-effectiveness, I would say it's worth it. But for my butt, the Corbin just worked better. Others have had different results.

Again, hope this helps!

markg

Reaction score
Visit site
CCHOUSEKY - Thanks so much for the detailed reply. This helps immensely. From someone who has had the opportunity to compare both side by side, your perspective is greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Mark

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the comfort seat and ended up getting the Top Saddlery one and not the Corbin. The Top Saddlery seat is a great seat. I absolutly love it. There is a major difference in price. The comfort seat is a lot cheaper. You can find lots of them for sale on the fourm. As a matter of fact I would sell mine for $100.00 including shipping.

markg

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I can gather from my reading it looks like the Cordin and Top Saddlery seats are both well recommended. Have yet to find a negative post about them. I've got a bid on a comfort seat on ebay right now, but after reading the posts I may let that one go and put that $100 towards a corbin or top saddlery seat.

Thanks again guys for all the help. I'm a new FZ6 owner, and this forum is incredibly helpful in figuring out how best to spend limited money to make something good even better.

Cheers - Mark

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i have a TS seat and love it. the comfort is amazing and i'm very pleased with it and happy that i ordered it. having said that i feel like i need to tell you to do a search on this forum. there have been some bad customer service issues recently. it might not be enough to push you away from them. just thought you should know that side of the story.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I shaved my stock seat to lower it down from normal height (see my post sticked above this) and then added in a 30mm thick gel pad from a numnah, which brought it almost back to stock height but was much more comfortable. Overall cost about £15 for the numnah and some staples. I was able to customise my seat exactly how I wanted it and I now sit lower, much further back and the seat doesn't slope forwards into the tank anymore.

Without the gel pad it was just too uncomfortable after half-hour plus riding. With the gel pad, it's higher again (which made my legs a bit more comfy, but my arms and back a bit less), it looks a bit worse (as the gel pad edges can be seen) and I can now ride all day on it with no issues.

I prefer the look of the stock seat to the TS/Corbin seat as it looks less "couch-like", but the comfort/design sucks. It just needs tweaking. I would do this again rather than buying a custom seat I think.

Gel pads do soak up heat/cold, but I always leave my bike under a cover throughout the day while I'm at work or in the garage at night so it doesn't get especially hot or cold. I tend to notice the cold it's sucked up if I've wearing jeans and just popping down to the shops however. But 99% of my riding I'm wearing leather or textile riding trousers and they stop this cold/heat getting through to me.

Hope this info is helpful to someone!

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
My '09 came with the "Comfort Seat". I find it very comfortable and don't feel any need to upgrade at this time. However, please note that I've never sat on a TS, Corbin, or any other custom AND the last year of my life was spent on a pre-rubber-mount Sportster chipping my teeth at highway speeds. So this seat would have been more comfortable:

W

wrightme43

My '09 came with the "Comfort Seat". I find it very comfortable and don't feel any need to upgrade at this time. However, please note that I've never sat on a TS, Corbin, or any other custom AND the last year of my life was spent on a pre-rubber-mount Sportster chipping my teeth at highway speeds. So this seat would have been more comfortable:

Cant you know just use the hand controls????

Hmmmmmm Well I guess you could......

LOL

Downside to the cabinet stuff. It does not let you slide back at all. If you are in the wrong position and wring its neck in 1st-2cnd it wants to dislocate my hip. Like to the point that I am in extreme pain and have to stand up on the bike, sling my left leg around in the air untill it goes back in.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI. The going price for the comfort seat seems to be $150 new shipped.

There has been other discussions on this site about if the 09 actually came with the comfort seat as standard. And I thought the responses were it was not.?

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my "Comfort Gel Seat" for about 7000 miles now. It is properly broken in and I like it alot. It is a lot firmer than some folks like. I actually like how it has a "rounded" profile on top. Lets you scoot your rear end around on the seat with ease when you're flyin' through the twisties.

I'm certain there are better choices for straight up touring, but I like mine for what I do. And BTW, I never put more than say 150-200 miles in a day's ride. For touring riders, that's a drop in the bucket!

My advice: sit on a few and see what you like.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI. The going price for the comfort seat seems to be $150 new shipped.

There has been other discussions on this site about if the 09 actually came with the comfort seat as standard. And I thought the responses were it was not.?

I purchased my '09 from a dealership that generally moves inventory well. Maybe I got one of the later '09s and others took earlier ones? Not sure, but mine came with the gel seat. The salesman pointed it out, compared it to the older generation seat, and the Yamaha site confirmed what he was saying. My garage is dark tonight, but here are some pics.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike in May, I was in a showroom that had a new FZ6 08 and sitting right next to an 09. At least here, the seats were identical. I was looking for something to justify the huge price difference between the two: msrp on the 09 or $1K off msrp on the 08. Bought the 08.

Over the summer, I've either broken in the stock seat or it has broken in my behind. At the beginning, I was a little fidgety after about an hour, now I can ride for a couple before I need to walk around a little.

In spite of the break in, I recently purchased the comfort seat after reading every comment on this site over the last 6 months. I was looking for maybe just a little more comfort and I wanted to improve the look of the seat. The FZ6 has such great lines and the seat seem a little bland. And I really did not want to spend a lot (If I had to, I could live with the stock). Was able to get it for $150 which included delivery.

My summary for the little time I've had it:

• Nicer looking seat compared to the stock
  • Easier to move east&west in the seat in turns, a little narrower and slippery
  • Is more comfortable than the stock (for me)
  • A little more stiff which I like (but it has been cold here)
  • Fit on the bike perfectly (does use the latch from your current seat)
  • At first, on hard braking I was sliding forward a little
I'm 6', so I do not need the leg room. But if you do, I don't think the seat is any lower but it does seem narrower which should get your legs to the ground a little sooner. Seen some comments on the site about being warmer from the exhaust but I have not experience this.

IMHO, for me, the seat was worth what I paid for it.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
It could be just the darkness of the photos, but that looks like the (all one texture) OEM seat cover....Are you sure it's the Comfort seat?

I honestly only know what I was told. The dealer showed me an older used FZ6 seat and pointed out the difference in mine, stating that it was once an option at $250 but is now standard. I admit that I researched the seat far less than other aspects of the bike. I checked the Yamaha website and they stated that the Comfort Seat was standard in 2009 as well. But now that you have me doubting myself, the picture of the OEM accessory Comfort Seat shows some different texture at the front that mine lacks. So maybe I fell for it. It's possible. I'm comfortable on it, so it will be my "special comfort seat" if it's not a real one. :thumbup:

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to know, flip your seat over and look at the four holes in the underside or the front slide you should be able to see & feel the yellow foam or the darker gel.

Maybe the 09 has the gel with the look closer to the stock.

Bottom line. If your comfy, it's the seat for you.

pjaco

Reaction score
www.jacobsen.cn