Yamaha 2009 Lineup

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yahmaha is catering to a certain type of rider with this bike IMO. The type of rider who wants his first bike to be able to kill him but be fully faired when it does so.

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished reading more, and yep, a definite 'meh' from me. Very unimpressed...

Smaller tyre, smaller tank, adjustable seat, 'gimmicky' quasi R1/R6 looks. Smacks of trying to reach out to the beginner market, and cash in on the increased in interest in biking due to the fuel/credit crisis.

/Even more glad I got my naked FZ6 when I did

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah. pretty sad. At first I thought I'd be jealous by just looking at it. But then you find out it has nothing that it should have and I feel better :)

Maybe this is a segway into the 2010 model that will have those looks with our current models drivetrain and suspension but updated suspension.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Have to agree with most, the looks of the bike excited me, as I love the gixxer look but the "de-tuned" aspects of the bike make it a big step down from the FZ6.

How about the new R1 though!

-Crossplane crankshaft
-D-mode driving: basically rider-selectable throttle control
-Gear indicator
-electronics steering damper
-new lightweight CF die-cast magnesium frame
-redesgined exhaust and bodywork including projector headlights

and I love this paint scheme.

09MS_YZFR1_wht_S3_11433650.jpg

Pretty snazzy.

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Full cowl is kinda nice, but from the front it looks a little GSXR-ish. Plus the new model has a narrower rear tire, and a smaller tank. At least it $200 cheaper than the 09 FZ-6. On a 1-5 scale, I'll give it a 'meh.'

I agree. I think GSXR when I look at the front end. Tho having the exhaust sticking out from the bottom is kinda cool, from the pictures I think the FZ6R's exhaust looks so out of place. Also the frame looks like its tubular steel instead of aluminum. It is also about 10 lbs heavier wet than the FZ6 (459 vs 470), I guess fairings are heavy :D. I really like how Yamaha has a bunch of paint options for the FZ6R. I wish they'd do the same for the FZ6. I hope the FZ6R was not meant to replace the FZ6. Between the two I think the FZ6 is a better motorcycle over all, especially with a centerstand. The more I look at the specs and the pictures it seems Yamaha is targeting the GSX650F.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I was expecting this years line up to be (hopefully) interesting, and in some ways it is. Personally, can't see a lick of difference from last years FZ6 model. Then again, the Yamaha site is blocked where I work, and I had to look at it with my iPhone. As for the FZ6R, it's not too bad. It's not necessarily the greatest, but it's ok really.

Overall, I'm kind of relieved that the lineup for the FZ6 (not FZ6R) this year has nothing extra special that I just couldn't do without. Besides, I'm more than happy with what I have.

X

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
57.0 kW (78 PS) @ 10,000 rpm... That would be 78bhp... I inferred from Grommit's post. This is about 20 less than a standard FZ6.

yeah, i saw that after, it got posted as i was writing my post, i wonder if there is a way to unleash the power down the road? Yamaha makes so many 600cc motors that it doesn't make sense to make one that makes 20hp less than anything else out there.

Yankee

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's tuned for fuel economy with less hp, notice that smaller tank.

I don't understand why they would go back to steel frame.

The only think I like about the new FZ6R is the available pearl white color, I think it would look fantastic.....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, the MSRP price of the '09 FZ6 did not change in Canada... still $9299, same as last year. The FZ6R is a full $1000 cheaper at $8299....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, i saw that after, it got posted as i was writing my post, i wonder if there is a way to unleash the power down the road? Yamaha makes so many 600cc motors that it doesn't make sense to make one that makes 20hp less than anything else out there.

Maybe a rev limiter removal? Still, the frame tires and brakes may not like that extra 20 hp...:D