Wrecked yesterday

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
So... it happened yesterday. I highsided my bike. It was all totally my fault. Just a bad series of decisions. A turn snuck up on me, I wasn't really going to fast, it was more I wasn't really mentally paying attention. So I ended up being ejected from my bike doing 40ish. Thankfully I wasn't seriously hurt. I now truly understand why we wear gear and why I pray every night.
Anyway, the bike really isn't bad. I had to ride it home about an hour. We had to pull the handbar up into a better position, but it runs as it always has.
Now I have a winter project. Part of which will be painting the bike. I'm thinking KBC08 Tangerine, what do you think? I'm open for other suggestions :D
House of Kolor Speedshapes - Preperation & Undercoat

Here are a few pics of my bike now.
granda080-albums-wrecked-picture5205-broken-nose.jpg

granda080-albums-wrecked-picture5210-stupid-dent.jpg

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!! Glad to hear you're ok, but how did you high-side at 40mph and not have any serious injury? A girl on another board high-sided at about 30mph and fractured her shoulder. Did you land on some grass? Again, glad you're ok, let the modding begin! :BLAA: hahaha, just had to use that one!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that is one tough way to get a winter project. I'm glad to hear you are okay. Highsides are so scary.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the accident and bike. Glad to hear that you're okay. Take care and heal soon. Good luck on the bike repairs.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!! Glad to hear you're ok, but how did you high-side at 40mph and not have any serious injury? A girl on another board high-sided at about 30mph and fractured her shoulder. Did you land on some grass? Again, glad you're ok, let the modding begin! :BLAA: hahaha, just had to use that one!

Honestly, I am just so thankful that I am okay. When I was tossed off I landed on my elbow/shoulder. I remember sliding along the pavement with these thoughts in order:

1. Is this for real?
2. How did I get here?
3. I'm okay
4. Please don't hit me (in reference to seeing the bike sliding towards me)

I seriously have no idea how I didn't get seriously hurt. Don't get me wrong, every inch of my body hurts like you know what, but nothing broken.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're one lucky rider!

Remember, you have to always be mentally prepared when riding. No mental lapse, it could cost you dearly.

As we say in class, riding is 90% mental. I don't think I'll get an argument from you on this.

Maybe a nice hot Jucuzzi will help out your aches and pain from the fall. What kind of gear were you wearing, how did it perform? Well, obviously it did it's job.

Thanks for posting. Let us know how your project turns out.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I would highly suggest not using house of kolors. That is one of the most expensive paints goin, and it certainly is not the best. If your not scared of dropping $$$, Glasurit or Sikkens both have a far superior product for less money than HoK.

other than that, only tip I have is before you start welding/sparking pins to that dent FILL YOUR GAS TANK WITH WATER.

used to work with a guy who did not think that one through and a fireball 10 feet long came blasting out of the filler neck and blew the tank into one giant sphere

heal quick, any questions PM me!

EDIT: and yes! please post a crash test review of your gear. always interesting

Last edited:

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
You're one lucky rider!

Remember, you have to always be mentally prepared when riding. No mental lapse, it could cost you dearly.

As we say in class, riding is 90% mental. I don't think I'll get an argument from you on this.

Maybe a nice hot Jucuzzi will help out your aches and pain from the fall. What kind of gear were you wearing, how did it perform? Well, obviously it did it's job.

Thanks for posting. Let us know how your project turns out.

You are correct no arguement from me. I had a FieldShear coat, which did faired okay...has a few tears. Joe Rocket gloves which did very well, very minimal damage. If you all want to see I will take some pics of my gear. Crazily my helmet didn't touch once. I was just wearing jeans...which didn't shred, though I have a few spots of rash on them. I seriuosly do not know how I came out of this with such little damage to me and the bike. I feel very thankful and blessed. :Flash:

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I would highly suggest not using house of kolors. That is one of the most expensive paints goin, and it certainly is not the best. If your not scared of dropping $$$, Glasurit or Sikkens both have a far superior product for less money than HoK.

other than that, only tip I have is before you start welding/sparking pins to that dent FILL YOUR GAS TANK WITH WATER.

used to work with a guy who did not think that one through and a fireball 10 feet long came blasting out of the filler neck and blew the tank into one giant sphere

heal quick, any questions PM me!

EDIT: and yes! please post a crash test review of your gear. always interesting

My dad is a professional painter/repair guy, so I'm lucky. His job is to teach others how to use new paint products. Through his job he gets discounts on all paint. I am leaning towards House of Kolor because he has several pints of it around the garage.

I will post up some pics of my gear and how it faired. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it in one piece!

Was that your first wreck? Did it give you any new insights into riding? Probably reinforced that you must pay full attention all the time, but I'm sure we have all had our moments when we aren't 100% focused. I've found my attention level dropping when the road is boring and I've been in the saddle for an hour or so without stopping.

Just the thought of a crash has been giving me the heebie-jeebies recently, and if I did experience one first-hand, I'd probably be throught with motorcycling.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang man glad you're ok, few people walk away from a highside unscathed. Did you lock up the rear tire and just bailed on the bike or did you let the rear brake go and get thrown off? Or did you lock the front and head shake get ya? Gotta understand how it happened to learn from your mistake :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Glad your ok man. Bummer on the bike, but they fix. These are tough bikes anyway.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're able to post about the event.

Will you be getting riding pants now? And I'm not asking in some sorta snarky way, I do honestly wonder if the event may have changed your notion of what "appropriate" gear is?

As for your color choice, I say heck yeah. Orange is a favorite of mine.

Keep us up to date on the project progress, heal up, ride again.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First and most of all You re fine, a bid soure you can live with it...
Great lesson learn as well pray before you leave as be ready mentally & full gear...the rest of it outcome...

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I am just so thankful that I am okay. When I was tossed off I landed on my elbow/shoulder. I remember sliding along the pavement with these thoughts in order:

1. Is this for real?
2. How did I get here?
3. I'm okay
4. Please don't hit me (in reference to seeing the bike sliding towards me)

First, I'm so sorry that you crashed and I'm glad that you're okay. Second, I had to smile when I read your four comments. Everytime I've had a major crash I've always done the same thing. (Must be the adrenaline) Time seems to almost stop and every single move you make is just like....slow motion.....like you have all the time in the world to react. I dunno if your brain goes into hyperdrive or what but it's cool. Scary, but cool. My first thoughts were always: Is this really happening? What am I going to do next? Get away from the bike! It's going to come after me! (They always do don't they?) Good luck with the repairs. Tangerine would be sharp!