Wow, your guys were right!

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
A few months back I bought a really nice 06 FZ6 on emotion. I had an 06 GS 500 that I really liked but fell in love when I saw this thing. When I first got it and really rode it I thought, OMG, what did I buy! It felt like a bike on steroids,:eek: I was not real happy.

Everyone on the board told me to just hang with it and it will work out. Well that was so true! It is an awesome machine and so much more refined than my faithful GS 500. It's not as nice around town, ( it wants to a go ) but once on the Fwy or open road it is fantastic!!!! So smooth and so nice to have power to get out of the way. I put a 17 tooth on it and it smoothed things out even more but yet has all the power I need and then some. I am making it into a more touring type mount in the long run. Thanks to all for telling me to hang in there. I'll post a pic soon.:D

PS - GS is gone, it was sad but a great mount as well!

I mean you guys not your guys, daaa!

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you enjoy your bike. I enjoy mine also. Fun and powerful, but with enough control for wet rides. I find it as comfortable as my Shadow was, but the FZ position gives more control.

It would be nice to tour on, I think, but I didn't see anything tour under 1000 cc's as I drove cross country.

Still, I'm setting mine up with E41's for commuting and light touring.

Life is good!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear! :thumbup:

It's an excellent all around bike and if you learn to be smooth and don't rev the piss out of it...it is a tame bike around town. You are right though...it really wants to GO!

I have owned my 2006 since new and loved every moment of it. I do a 1,000+ mile tour every year...this year I'll be logging close to 1,800 miles in September! :D

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG, what did I buy! It felt like a bike on steroids

You are not the first person to write something like this and I am puzzled. I bought my FZ after 20 years without a bike and I have never felt like the bike was too powerful or such like. I guess I just know how to regulate my right hand.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I just know how to regulate my right hand.
Lots of practice?....:D

On a serious note, thats exactly why you dont feel that way about the bike. Having not ridden in 20 years, you wouldnt have something to compare it to. Someone who had just switched bikes would feel a HUGE dif. More likely why.....

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of practice?....:D

On a serious note, thats exactly why you dont feel that way about the bike. Having not ridden in 20 years, you wouldnt have something to compare it to. Someone who had just switched bikes would feel a HUGE dif. More likely why.....

110% correct!

The first street bike I ever rode was my brother's Ninja 250R. At 36hp it felt like a beast to me but quickly felt slow. When I bought my FZ6 it was like comparing an F16 to a WW2 fighter!

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the gs being more of a breeze around town. for commuting or <40 mph traffic, i'd rather have the gs. it's not as snatchy, not as ready to run. unfortunately, the gs is carb'd, and oil cooled though. it's a give and take, the fz definitely doesn't like 20-30mph 'idling' down the road. or traffic at that speed.

either one sure does carve up the twisty roads around 35-50 though, right where i like to be.

i'm practicing a lighter throttle contol lately, trying to keep the revs around 3500-5000 or so, on my commute. very sedate, very relaxing. even in crap traffic.