Wow... i actually hit this! What now?!

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Shortly i am approaching the 10,000 mile mark. I bought it at 6,7000 and don't think the previous owner did any maintenance besides an oil change.

After looking through the Yamaha owners manual that i downloaded, i have this laundry list of chores to do... (Want this bike to remain in great condition)

-Change spark plugs (I have been noticing quite a bit of backfiring as of lately)
-Adjust the clutch to engage at a point closer to the grip
-Possibly replace brake pads (Starting to hear some squeaking)
-Check chain play, has been over 2,000 miles since i have
-Lube steering bearings
-Tighten chasis bolts, screws, nuts
-Lube center stand (also squeaking)
-Adjust engine idle i believe (Lights dim when down at an idle, should i increase idle speed?)
-Change oil again, have a little over 2000 miles on this cycle
-Change coolant
-Lubricate brake and clutch cables
-Adjust throttle and lubricate cable (starting to feel sticky! DOH!)

How does this list look?
Is there anything i should add to my list?

Thank you much!
Josh:rockon:

Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated! Motorcycle noob here.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! If you pound a lot of mileage on a bike... maintenance schedule come around quick. 25K on my ride in less than 2 years. Still going strong...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can adjust the clutch with the knob at the lever so take up is where you want it the friction zone is short so there is plenty of scope there.
As far as lubing Chemiker on this forum sells a nifty syringe style cable lube. I have done my clutch but not throttle cables
good luck with it

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good! You could change the brake fluid and lube the wheel bearings/clean the axles if you are so inclined. Just carefully pick the seals out of the bearings with a scribe and pack them full of grease.

I also dropped the swingarm down and lubed the linkage there. You will find that the main bolts for the swingarm, front axle and rear axle are dry and may have a bit of corrosion starting. I cleaned them and lubed them with wheel bearing grease.

Tip: Push down to tighten/torque the rear wheel nut if you have it on the centerstand or you may pull it forward and knock it off the stand :rolleyes: (or you can set the front brake with zip tie/velcro, either way use care when on the centerstand)

Various members are checking on the Iridium plugs and whether they drop gas mileage. I changed mine back to CR9EK regular to see if it makes a difference. It seems to have lost a bit of roll-on pep. If you use the Iridiums, Motogiro recommended that you gap them to spec (just don't press on the tiny Iridium part). The one's I removed measured .030-.032". I think they should be .024-.028" (the regular one's measure .026" or so out of the box).

Have fun!

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! If you pound a lot of mileage on a bike... maintenance schedule come around quick. 25K on my ride in less than 2 years. Still going strong...

Well I wish I could get some weather this year to allow me to put on 14k! I haven't had to take my ride of shame in my Ford Probe in almost 3 weeks!

NY weather treating me right lately! :)

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Might want to also pull apart the airbox and take a look at the filter. I am right around 10K and checked mine this past weekend. It was a little dirty but nothing crazy, so I just cleaned it off with a brush and vaccum.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure you check clutch with bar at full lock on both sides

also be careful tightening any bolts, you may break any thread lock on them, only tighten if you find some that are loose (i had one loose connecting my frame to subframe once)

check engine idle is around 1300 when warm, if so then leave it, it's normal for your lights to dim slightly

most of the service items are just checks, also you don't lubricate the brake lines, they are hydraulic.. ;)

i'd also check wheel bearing, and make sure front and back axles are greased

personally i check the chain every couple of weeks, once you know what it should be like it's easy to check

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at about the same milestone with mine, and am planning many of the same tasks. I don't have any squeaking though, and my throttle cables seem fine. Do you park it outdoors?

Considering what's involved in just checking the head bearings, I plan to just swap mine out with tapered bearings while I'm in there.

For the clutch, you can use the barrel adjuster to put the friction zone where you want it, but the manual is particular about where the free play should be. I've just left it out there where I hate it, but I'm going to install adjustable levers.

Before you change the oil, you might want to add the recommended amount of sea foam for the 3L of oil our bikes take and let it clean the engine a bit.

Somewhere here is a great thread about changing coolant and flushing the coolant system. To flush it, you want to use distilled water. Some guys just flush with distilled water until it runs clear, then fill with 50/50 mix.