Would you ride with a cracked rib?

Would you ride with a cracked rib?

• A - Play through the pain - ride as often as normal, take the trip

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • B - Save it up - stop doing stuff now, maximize recovery and then take the trip

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • C - Play it safe - stop riding and opt out of the trip

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Background - I'm about a week into recovering from a hard fall playing ice hockey which cracked one of my ribs - it's a wait for it to feel better kind of injury - typically about 6 weeks to full recovery. Deep breaths, coughing, etc are still pretty painful and it's really bad in the AM, gets better over the course of the day.

I've been riding some - back and forth to work, errands, etc which have been short trips (basically <5 miles at time) and I was planning a trip long trip (4.5 days, ~2000 miles) starting the 23rd of Sept which will be about 3 weeks into the six week period. Annual ride with some co-workers.

Suddenly all cylinders fired for minute today and I realized that A - maybe I shouldn't be riding at all since if I was to crash I'm probably extra vulnerable and B - maybe I should be planning on missing the long trip since getting up early and hitting the road for long days without an option to take the cage could leave me in a tough spot.

Fortunately I have another couple of weeks to make a decision on the trip and maybe I'll feel better by then, but what would you do in my shoes...

A - Play through the pain - ride as often as normal, take the trip
B - Save it up - stop doing stuff now, maximize recovery and then take the trip
C - Play it safe - stop riding and opt out of the trip

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd probably still ride, as long as I could still look over my shoulder when required.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say option B. It's pretty obvious you're really wanting to make the trip and if you've got a couple of weeks to decide, then you should take the time to recover to make sure you can make it.

The only thing you might worry about is having your skills dull a little bit by not riding for the next two weeks. But, I don't think that's a huge problem, really.

Take the rest, maximize the recovery time, and then take the trip if you're feeling good by then. :thumbup:

Fahren

Reaction score
Visit site
B for me!!!....and take some strong (non-droswy) painkillers...good luck hope ur better for the trip :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd go B as well.... less stress on the rib now, may allow enough healing to make the trip. It's almost certainly going to feel a whole bunch better by then; re-assess when you get closer to the kick off.

I rode home (more than 20 miles) after crashing and breaking 3 ribs near the spine, and seperating my right shoulder. I was in shock, so it wasn't as painful as it got to be shortly thereafter.... but I could feet EVERY pavement inmperfection as it jolted the bike and then my body.

2-3 weeks into it, sneezing and coughing finally stopped tearing the ends of the ribs apart.........

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode home (more than 20 miles) after crashing and breaking 3 ribs near the spine, and seperating my right shoulder. I was in shock, so it wasn't as painful as it got to be shortly thereafter.... but I could feet EVERY pavement inmperfection as it jolted the bike and then my body.

2-3 weeks into it, sneezing and coughing finally stopped tearing the ends of the ribs apart.........

ouch - you definitely were hurting worse than I am. Thanks for the data point - makes it sound like there's a reasonable chance I'll be in ok shape by the trip given that I'm not starting where you were.

Riding (at least the short trips) hasn't really been an issue pain wise and I think I'm able to ride as safe as usual under normal circumstances (otherwise I wouldn't) but I'm mostly worried about something abnormal being a real problem b/c I'm not at 100% capability at the end of the day.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted A because I have done it .

Bike was only transport so kept riding with a couple of cracked ribs,wasn't fun,but was bearable .

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't bother with the poll cos its really up to you. Only you know how much pain it gives you & if its bearable. Cracked ribs differ & no 2 are the same. Its probably best if you leave your decision till the day before take off.

Do you sleep with a glass of water & pain killers next to the bed? Ive broken, cracked & even dislocated my 2 floating ribs. Worst part is coughing, sneezing & waking up forgetting about your injury. Rolling over half asleep & BANG. Hence the water & drugs.

Sneezing has got to be the worst. You can feel it coming on. You cant do anything to stop it. You just stay completely still knowing a world of pain is between 2 & 10 seconds away. The suspense is horrible.

Good luck with the recovery, I hope you make the ride :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just don't sneeze and you'll be okay. They sure hurt like a beeatch!

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Sneezing has got to be the worst. You can feel it coming on. You cant do anything to stop it. You just stay completely still knowing a world of pain is between 2 & 10 seconds away. The suspense is horrible.

Good luck with the recovery, I hope you make the ride :thumbup:

I was thinking sneezing was the worst too until tonight when I got a bad case of hiccups at dinner - I think knowing they would keep coming but not knowing exactly when each would be made it worse than sneezing even if sneezing is a little more severe on the pain scale.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I'd be going with option D, Ride normally and make the judgement call a couple days before the trip. I've been riding for 3 or 4 weeks with a sprained wrist, posible hairline fracture in my forearm. Not saying I'm smart or tough because of it, I just want to ride so I do. This past weekend was the first time I road without a lot of pain. And the first time I road for more than an hour or so. It is simply sore now. If I had a 2000 mile ride tomorrow, I likely would have to cancle it. But I wouldn't have made that discision until I had to.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Strap em up, and ride through the pain....but only if riding with them, does not compromise your safety, re limiting your ability to react in an emergency situation, or something like that.

Good luck....busted ribs suck!

coiled

Reaction score
Visit site
I have busted a rib before and i know the pain.... but as Dr Chop Chop says harden up. (see link below if you dont know Dr Chop Chop).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y]YouTube - Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the Fuck Up[/ame]

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
\ it's really bad in the AM, gets better over the course of the day.
This is promising... I would say that your all tight from the night of sleep... Short trips now would probably strengthen your muscles attached to yoru ribs and keep things in line... HOWEVER, if you are in therapy and they are telling you to lay off those muscles you may be feeling better now only to pay for it in a few year... Ribs are pretty pliable and to much muscle shortening could change their alignment... I would ask your therapist, I know the FZ's ergos are great for core strengthening, but better to ask and have a season off than to be on vikers for ortho problems later on...

But not riding then taking the trip sounds like the worst option... your muscles will be tight and you'll be rusty... I trip to a good ortho will probably give you the smartest answer...

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a hard call; As there are a lot of factors such as how important the trip is to you & your pain threshold.

I would say that you need to get some decent miles in closer to the time to see how you hold up.

Don't forget to make sure that you have access to painkillers and booze for the pain and a good gun for the sick friends who insist on telling you jokes. :D

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll echo the others who've said it's up to you. I had a fall last week and though the ER didn't check for it it, I'm certain I have a cracked/broken rib. I had to ride my bike 4 days later and I was functional, but stiff. Not sure if I would have been capable of any sudden accident avoidance.

Two weeks after the accident I'm still stiff and in a bit of discomfort, but able to spend all day on the bike. Rode 270 miles on Saturday and about 190 today.

So, it is possible for you to be comfortable riding in time for your trip -but it all depends on the injury and how you heal.

I'd take this first week or so real easy, rest a lot. Personally, I have a love/hate thing with painkillers, but definitely take them if you can deal. Better for your body to be relaxed. Heal a bit and then work back onto the bike to see for yourself whether you think you can handle the trip. My second ride felt waaaay better than my first, that's for sure.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a personal choice because only you can know whether you will be ready and it will be safe enough to go on the trip. Best idea is to see how you go and not push yourself into it unless your sure you will be ok.
If you do go, make sure you have some non drowsy pain killers and a backup plan for any possible problems that may occur. Maybe ask your local GP for some advice. Don't have to follow it but they occasionally know what they are talking about.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Modified B - ride if you can, but don't let pain distract your riding.

I had to make that decision this summer, broke left front #4 end of June (very painful). My family doctor who saw me a week after the accident (which for the record, did not involve a motorcycle) cleared me to ride immediately - he said I could use my own judgment as the ribs have a layer of mussel holding them in place unlike most other bones - a natural cast if you will. I still took a couple of weeks off, but like an idiot began riding again with moderate pain.

For the record, it's been 11 weeks now and while it's not sore anymore, I still have an odd sensation and some numbness in my left side.

Good luck!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
See how you feel, but I voted A. I had cracked/separated ribs before. It sucks, but you can ride pretty normal.
I even went snowboarding on a regular interval (3/per week). Yeah, it was a bit painful, but it wasn't going to stop me from doing what I love to do.