Worst roads for motorcycles - San Diego county

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use to fish at Lower Otay Res. all the time. Wish I had my bike when I was stationed there.:thumbup:

Otay Lakes Road at state Route 94 in Jamul

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are some grim statistics.

I just looked up Route 76 and Palomar Mountain Road intersection and .. :eek:

Palomar Mountain Road

I've never seen so many twists and turns in one place before! Would love to ride there one day.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are some grim statistics.

I just looked up Route 76 and Palomar Mountain Road intersection and .. :eek:

Palomar Mountain Road

I've never seen so many twists and turns in one place before! Would love to ride there one day.

It's a fun stretch of road to ride, but dangerous especially on the weekends when it's busy with bikes racing up and down the mountain. Ask Motogiro and PowellB about a near miss they had with a oncoming bike cutting in between them. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0hZp2HqN8&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0hZp2HqN8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last time I was up there a guy on a Ducati crashed pretty badly. Ambulance took him away :(

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a fun stretch of road to ride, but dangerous especially on the weekends when it's busy with bikes racing up and down the mountain. Ask Motogiro and PowellB about a near miss they had with a oncoming bike cutting in between them. ‪Palomar near miss - 091209‬‏ - YouTube

Last time I was up there a guy on a Ducati crashed pretty badly. Ambulance took him away :(

Powell's camera was facing rear. That's me in the back! My camera is facing Powell.

This guy stood his bike up out of a right hander and crossed in front of Powell and luckily he made it safe to the shoulder. Here's my camera...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrO47N1Xpw]‪Powell near miss‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a fun stretch of road to ride, but dangerous especially on the weekends when it's busy with bikes racing up and down the mountain. Ask Motogiro and PowellB about a near miss they had with a oncoming bike cutting in between them.

Holy effin crap!! Why must all great roads attract such idiots?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was close! Prime example of why you don't ride outside your abilities... :squid::squid::squid:

Glad you guys are ok, that could've turned out alot worse

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how the stats work and I'm wondering whether the data came from what is recorded as the nearest intersection. Most all of the accident are on the South Grade itself. In all the times I've ridden it I've never seen an accident at the intersection of 76 and South Grade but I do agree you have to crank your neck and vision harder left or right when you exit the grade. I wonder what the stats are on how many bike ride South Grade a year. If you want an idea go to Rick Clemson Photos Rick Clemson Sports Photography and browse the photos just for the weekends through out the entire year. Consider it's ridden throughout the rest of the week as well. That intersection may be the most traveled by motorcycles anywhere in the world.

South Grade can be buzzing just about every weekend with bikes.

If you crunched the numbers a different way you could probably come up with data that shows less MC crashes per capita than anywhere else. I would say on the weekends most of the riders are "Fast Movers" It can be intimidating to some that are less experienced. There are 66 turns in 6.7 miles and you are ascending or descending in these turns so it has a unique character and really does help develop skill and experience. Of course the down side is there are people that do crash out of the thousands of ascents/descents a day on the weekends.

Last edited:

AJsarge

Reaction score
Visit site
Tantalus Drive, Oahu, HI
Map Here

Probably one of the only 'Twisty' roads out here. Sad that most everything is concrete, and without back-tracking, the longest ride is about 4-5 hours. You can't even 360 the island unless you have an offroad-capable bike.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
the accidents in malta normally happen due to careless cage drivers (i think this fact is common with the majority of the world), 2nd closest cause is because our roads are not maintained and are very slippery even in the dry. we have got 2 decent roads where the tarmac really grips, otherwise i always ride in fear that my rear will break loose in a corner!.. things are slowly improving, but bikes are rarely taken in consideration when painting street signs and resurfacing roads