wont start unless in nutural

Iskyone

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike will not start unless in nutural. It's a pain if/when I stall in traffic and have to place in nutural to start my bike. I understand if the clutch is out, but not while holding it in. Any Ideas????? Thanks

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the sensor plug going into the kickstand. I would unplug it and make sure it's got a good connection. I'm betting that's what it is.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm able to start in first with the clutch in. As has been posted, you should have the kickstand up as well. If you're doing all this then get the bike checked out, unless you're handy with the wrench. I'm not.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I'd check out the clutch switch on the bottom of the lever. The bike wouldn't run at all in gear if it was the kickstand switch.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
the plug at the clutch lever has been know to come unplugged. its happened to several on this fourum.
that would fit the symptoms you have.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think there are 3 safety features
-1 kick stand must be up you can put it on the center stand.
-2 make sure you are in gear
-3 and if you do stall at a light, just shift to 1st or 2nd with the clutch engaged, after that i don't have an answer.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely sounds like the connector for the kickstand switch, mine came unplugged and had exactly the same problem, its just under the clutch lever, the black connector will have come out, plug it back in and all will be good.

B

bluenova

Definitely sounds like the connector for the kickstand switch, mine came unplugged and had exactly the same problem, its just under the clutch lever, the black connector will have come out, plug it back in and all will be good.

Clutch lever switch, not kick stand switch. The bike would not move at all if it was the kick stand switch.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I already know it's the plug just underneath the handlebar on the clutch side. It's happened to me and many others on the forum. Bank on it! Look for a tiny wire harness that plugs in underneath your handlebar---it's loose or disconnected. Plug it back in.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the plugs that connect the safety switches, they come unplugged a lot and many have found that the clutch one hasn't even been plugged in from the factory...

winkle30

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this problem, it wouldnt start with clutch in and kick stand up only in neutral. take it to a yamaha dealer the servos are in the wrong plug, when I took it in the guy fixed it in ten seconds. Im not sure what to call it but I watched him unplub and re plug some switches on the handle bar.