Wont Run!

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got all the paint work done on my FZ tank and was putting everything back together hooked up all the lines, connectors etc... to the tank and began to start it, it cranks over and sounds like it is trying to run on only a couple cylinders what is going on here, ive got plenty of fuel and spark,im a bit :confused: as to why it wont run any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your fuel pump tick over nicely when you first turn ignition on?

Could there be paint in the connector?

Is fuel pumping through the fuel line or any breather lines crimped?

Check air cleaner.

Check spark.

Disconnect the battery for a while (half hour?) to reset the computer.

All obvious I know, but usually it is something right out in the open.

hope this helps:thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

Edit... forget spark and fuel....go the reset.

Last edited:

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel pump is working.

Paint in which connector?

Fuel pumping into fuel rail is that what you mean? It appears to be because im smelling fuel out the exhaust.

Air cleaner is good to go!

Im gonna pull plugs here in a lil bit to make sure there not fouled for whatever reason.

Didnt know about disconnecting power, to reset the system THX!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel pump is working.

Paint in which connector?

Fuel pumping into fuel rail is that what you mean? It appears to be because im smelling fuel out the exhaust.

Air cleaner is good to go!

Im gonna pull plugs here in a lil bit to make sure there not fouled for whatever reason.

Didnt know about disconnecting power, to reset the system THX!

Didn't read the first bit properly...lol..was why I edited...oops.
Didn't see you had fuel and spark.

As for the reset...lol..thank the Wolfman...he told me about it:thumbup:.

If you've got fuel at the exhaust and spark and air, then it sounds like it's firing at the wrong time....reset could be the go.

Hope you get it sorted easily.
Cheers
Mike

W

wrightme43

Change plugs.

I had a very simular experince. Are the plugs over 8000 miles old? Even if less they can foul out, our engines are pretty finicky about good plugs.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Change plugs.

I had a very simular experince. Are the plugs over 8000 miles old? Even if less they can foul out, our engines are pretty finicky about good plugs.

Plugs are just over 8K im gonna yard them out here in a lil bit to see if they've fouled out.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve is correct. I was also going to ask you to simply replace the plugs outright and after a reset, hope that fixes the issue.

When the tank was painted, are you sure that nothing got into the tank? Particulate from painting left in the tank can clog your injectors. Could be that you've clogged one or two of them. Before mounting and filling, did you flush the tank and dump it?

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Steve is correct. I was also going to ask you to simply replace the plugs outright and after a reset, hope that fixes the issue.

When the tank was painted, are you sure that nothing got into the tank? Particulate from painting left in the tank can clog your injectors. Could be that you've clogged one or two of them. Before mounting and filling, did you flush the tank and dump it?

I had all the inlets taped off in the hopes of not geting anything into the tank, but when i removed tape some small particles may have gotten into the tank, is there not a fuel filter inline with the fuel pump? I did not flush tank before installing because i didnt think anything couldve gotten into the tank beings that i had everything taped off, could be my bad for not doing so :spank:

W

wrightme43

I can almost assure you that it is the plugs. They will look just fine. Mine look just fine every time I take them out, just a little bitty bit of wear on the edges, but it does run just right after a change.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had all the inlets taped off in the hopes of not geting anything into the tank, but when i removed tape some small particles may have gotten into the tank, is there not a fuel filter inline with the fuel pump? I did not flush tank before installing because i didnt think anything couldve gotten into the tank beings that i had everything taped off, could be my bad for not doing so :spank:

I hadn't thought of a fuel filter so I just went to the fiche at Ron Ayers... after looking at the tank and the two intake views, I don't see one listed anywhere? Does any other owner have knowledge of a fuel filter? (Good point ITSME)

Try the new plugs (pretty much needed anyway) and the reset though before worrying about the injectors.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
So im still having problems after installing new plugs and resetting the ECM i even pulled the fuel rail and injectors to make sure there clean didnt find anything, so WTF do i do now,:mad::don'tknow: it starts up and runs but when i go to give it throttle it just falls on its face like its not getting fuel but i here the fuel pump coming on.

W

wrightme43

OK

what year? how many miles?

If it is 05 have you had the TPS recall done?

How about your air filter?

How long has it been apart?

Do you have water in the fuel? Add one ounce of pure grain 190 proof drinking alcohol or just methonal if you think you may have water in the fuel. Shake the tank and reinstall.

Did you get a piece of trash in the fuel line? Piece of mask tape from painting?

You can check the fuel pump by hooking it up, undoing the output line, putting a big cup there to catch fuel and turn on the key for a brief sec. It pumps like crazy when it works.

Let the fuel that comes out settle and check for water or debris.

Obviously dont smoke, turn off heaters, use common sense with fuel. LOL I am sure you will but just in case.

Did you go back with NGK plugs in CR9EK or CR98EK or the Iridium equivilent in NGK?

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
OK

what year? how many miles?

If it is 05 have you had the TPS recall done?

How about your air filter?

How long has it been apart?

Do you have water in the fuel? Add one ounce of pure grain 190 proof drinking alcohol or just methonal if you think you may have water in the fuel. Shake the tank and reinstall.

Did you get a piece of trash in the fuel line? Piece of mask tape from painting?

You can check the fuel pump by hooking it up, undoing the output line, putting a big cup there to catch fuel and turn on the key for a brief sec. It pumps like crazy when it works.

Let the fuel that comes out settle and check for water or debris.

Obviously dont smoke, turn off heaters, use common sense with fuel. LOL I am sure you will but just in case.

Did you go back with NGK plugs in CR9EK or CR98EK or the Iridium equivilent in NGK?

Air filter is good.
Its been apart for a month or so.
No water in fuel
Fuel pump goes like crazy pumps a soild stream , but acts like it not getting enough fuel maybe at the injectors cleaned them and fuel rail.
Purchased the exact same plugs.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your idle. Maybe synch your throttle bodies too.. though if it doesn't run that could be pretty hard.

You sure you have all your hoses hooked up correctly? Not only to the tank, but to the cylinders as well. Make sure it's tightly sealed: Part #s 25, 10, 11, 15 Refer to the microfiche. There are little bronze like rings that sit on the intake pipes that need to be tightend. They may have gotten lose when you fiddled with the airbox or something creating a vacuum leak.

Take the hoses off the tank and put a paper clip up the vent tubes and wiggle it around make sure it's clear. Check your actual hoses make sure they aren't clogged. I've had mine clogged by a mudwasp nest before. Blow through the vent hoses and check to feel airflow on the other end. They dangle around the frame somewheres.

Not sure, if all 4 plugs are firing it's not anything with the ignition system. It'd have to be with the fuel/air or mechanical, and I'd lean towards the fuel/air.

Does it start up and just run like crap, or does it not fire up at all? How does it react if you give it some throttle (that is if it starts up) Does it bog down then rev up? Just die?

Try popping it in gear on the center stand see what happens. Try to ride it in the driveway under a little bit of load and see what happens.

Report back.

S

SidewallPuncture

you have to backtrack and figure out when it ran right and when it stopped doing so.

if all you have done, was remove the tank, paint it and re-install it, you've narrowed down the search greatly. Wasting your time chasing other items that were not involved is not productive.

Looking at the manual, it seems like such a simple task. There are only a few hoses and one electical connector.
You say the pump is pumping great, so you can rule out a fuel starvation problem. As far as the battery goes, top charge it to be on the safe side.
I would look closely at your fuel drain and vent lines. Possibly one or both is pinched, or they may even be connected backwards. Solve the simple things first. Some advice on here might get you changing the engine next after you just wasted time changing plugs.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I hadn't thought of a fuel filter so I just went to the fiche at Ron Ayers... after looking at the tank and the two intake views, I don't see one listed anywhere? Does any other owner have knowledge of a fuel filter? (Good point ITSME)

Try the new plugs (pretty much needed anyway) and the reset though before worrying about the injectors.

It is probably in the tank to prevent and dirt from geTting in the pump. Every other fuel injected bike I have owned had the filter connected to the pump in the tank.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. It starts up and runs like crap, if i throttle it it just falls on its face like its not getting enough fuel but there is fuel there, it like its not getting fuel at the injectors but i cleaned them and the fuel rail so im stumped, i might have to give the shop a call Tuesday and schedule an appointment, thats gonna hurt!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you have to backtrack and figure out when it ran right and when it stopped doing so.

if all you have done, was remove the tank, paint it and re-install it, you've narrowed down the search greatly. Wasting your time chasing other items that were not involved is not productive.

Looking at the manual, it seems like such a simple task. There are only a few hoses and one electical connector.
You say the pump is pumping great, so you can rule out a fuel starvation problem. As far as the battery goes, top charge it to be on the safe side.
I would look closely at your fuel drain and vent lines. Possibly one or both is pinched, or they may even be connected backwards. Solve the simple things first. Some advice on here might get you changing the engine next after you just wasted time changing plugs.

+1, Even though I'm no expert when it comes to fixing things, I agree what Sidwall sais. For example, if your bike started fine before you took it apart, it's probably not going to be a part failure, but most likely a pinched line or some kind of connection problem. I have over 20,000 miles on my spark plugs on my '06 FZ6. But again, plugs would definately been on the troubleshoot list, but I would have put that way down the list considering the low miles.

S

SidewallPuncture

you're fuel pump outlet pressure is supposed to be 36.3 PSI. Do you think you're making that pressure?

At idle, low pressure will provide enough fuel to run the bike, but as soon as you command more, a lower than normal pressure just won't cut it, although it may seem like it's enough. The fuel injectors won't spray like they should and the power is down big time.

This goes back to several things to check....the connection, any resistance, ie corrosion or paint etc, will reduce the power to the pump causing it to pump slower, as well, a low battery will give the same symptom. A month of being apart can very well drain the battery.