Wobbly Tank and Lids....

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd knock two posts out in one...

If I put my fingers underneath the tank it can be slightly lifted up on the left side, like it needs to be locked into place in another place. It's definatley very tight at the screws underneath the yoke. But yet it feels like with a slight push it wobbles... I'll upload a video if needed.

Second post, I was riding along the motorway yesterday. Checked my blindspot at about 85mph as I went to pull into the other lane and the wind ripped my visor open, took it off the hinge and broke it. Been wanting a new helmet anyway so it's just a good excuse.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051U0RSY/ref=asc_df_B0051U0RSY4209022/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B0051U0RSY&linkCode=asn]HJC MONSTER ENERGY BEN SPIES MOTOGP REPLICA FULLFACE MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE HELMET 2011 SEASON: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure[/ame]

Any opinions?

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know hoe to fix your wobbly tank, but i am pretty sure that it is not supposed to be loose. mine is tight, no wiggle at all.

What type of helmet do you have that blew open?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My tank also has a little wiggle to it, I know its secured so ive never really thought twice about it and just assumed thats the way it was, it would be nice to hear other wise, but thats crazy about your helmet though!!!

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my 07 (don't know the year of yours), the bracket that actually bolts to the frame at the front of the tank has 2 more bolts (that of course bolt to the gas tank).

You cannot see them unless you raise the tank. Theres a rubber grommit and sleeve for each bolt. I suspect either a bolt is loose or vibrated out...

The below website will show the parts diagram:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts: Babbitt's Sport Center, Muskegon, MI)

If you raise the tank, I think you'll find your problem.

Good luck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its got to be a loose/lost bolt to the tank itself... Make sure the rear bolt (under the front of the seat) is also snugged down...

My 07 tank is solid and doesn't move. I did replace it about a year and a half ago, so I know the bolts were tightened fully...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, for the helmet, I don't ride with the visor cracked except for the crack setting in the mechanism. I broke my smoked visor on my scorpion like that.

My tank does have a little bit of wiggle. The front mount should have some play in it and then the rubber grommets on the side make it fairly tight. It's a vibration thing I imagine.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out anyway. It feels different to you so something likely changed somewhere.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
On mine ive went over all the bolts and there all tight I kinda just figured its because of that cheep bracket the mounts the front side causeing the wobble but I will take a closer look when I get home from work to see if maybe that bracket migt have a crack or something causing the wiggle if its suposed to be solid

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the thing, it wasn't cracked. The visor was fully down.

On the left side I've got a Black piece of rubber between the edge of the tank and the frame. But only on the left side. Does everyone have this or is this the problem?

Also, it doesn't wobble at the mounting (under the yoke) it wobble's further back. When I get home from work I'll take a picture and a video

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Looks like you lost your rubber! Be careful!

Item 7; PN 5VX-24183-00-00 DAMPER, LOCATING 3, $2.97 Qty = 2

Townsends, good call on the under tank bolts. The 08 has them also. :thumbup: