wobble or catching

mattyb1500

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all I have a problem I am hoping you can help me with. Recently it feels like something is catching on a rotation near the small sprocket. As far as I can tell performance isnt affected I can just feel it while riding along. Anyone have any ideas?
Best wishes

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How old is your chain (miles)?

It sounds as if its badly worn, typical symptoms...

If you pull the front sprocket cover (three allan head bolts) you can inspect the sprocket for wear. Looking strictly at the chain, if the links are NOT STRAIGHTENING OUT after coming off the sprocket, the chain is likely toast and needs replacement along with both sprockets..

Don't put it off indefinitly. You don't want to throw a chain thru your engine and/or lock up your rear wheel. Another member, just very recently found part of his engine case (just ahead of the front sprocket) missing (likely due to a thrown chain) and WAS semi-repaired with probably an epoxy....

Last edited:

mattyb1500

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks that was my first thought it all seems to be ok and the chain is only 10,000 miles old its not even halfway stretched (according to indicator) also thats only how much the bike has done (had only done 4000 when I bought it last year).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks that was my first thought it all seems to be ok and the chain is only 10,000 miles old its not even halfway stretched (according to indicator) also thats only how much the bike has done (had only done 4000 when I bought it last year).

I bought my bike used from my friend (his son's first bike). The chain was lubed ONCE in their 4,500 miles of ownership.

Once got it (as a second bike), I was able to clean and lube it however I did have to replace it at 12,000 miles due to the PO's neglect. There was also very little stretch (so don't count much on that). I adjusted it once when I got the bike, and once since the new chain has been on, about 4,000 miles..(and it didn't need much adjustment either time).

You didn't answer the question if there are any kinks coming off the countershaft sprocket, so I gather the chain is good.

Hope you don't have to look for a new crankcase.

Read post #14: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/50281-bike-dumping-oil-2.html

Good luck..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally there's also a lot of build up of heavy chain lube and dirt in that area. Never hurts to inspect and clean the sprockets. I did a friends bike and there was a piece of metal that some how was flung in there and held by the gunk.