Winter Glove Recommendations

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

Even though I have been riding for more than 8 years now, this is my first winter riding in the States. That said, I had been doing pretty well with my FirstGear 65 W jacket liner, FirstGear glove liners, Single Mounted Heat-Troller and Vega Touring Boots. However, now that the temps are going below 20F, my fingers get majorly numb by the end of my 40 min each way work commute.

I'm going to invest in some winter gloves and need recommendations for a set that preferably has wipers and Gore-Tex on them and is below the $100 mark. I would even be open to getting them second-hand for that price.

Fire away with your learned recommendations please!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, which are great.

A mate of mine uses bar muffs and heated grips, that way he can still use his favourite gloves all year round.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, which are great.

A mate of mine uses bar muffs and heated grips, that way he can still use his favourite gloves all year round.

Thanks for the info. I'd preferably like to stick to non-heated gloves, just because I already have the glove liners which seem to work pretty well except for that extra 20%. I'd rather supplement them with regular winter gloves unless I have to.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my third winter here in Seattle. Can't believe I'm still doing this. My first year was terrible, froze my azz off everywhere I went. Had some TGP TUNDRA gloves, lol Tundra yeah right... Played around with glove liners never found any that really helped. I got some heated grips installed that work when they want to and that's usually not when I want them to :( I found these over-gloves from MOTO CENTRIC that I really like for $13, they are no silver bullet but they do help and on the day's in the high 20's last week or two they really saved my hide when the grips chose not to work. I also have a set of elephant ears I like, there kind of long and hard to get your hand back in at speed but they do the trick if you KNOW your commute is going to suck.

I still can't find a glove that will work perfectly, the problem with riding all year is finding quality gear, to many times I've purchased highly rated gear and yeah it was fine for a fair weather rider that gets caught in the rain but seeing daily rain fall or an actual storm most of this stuff just don't hold up. I've stopped buying expensive 4 season jackets due to how much rain I see, eventually it soaks through and the jacket is pointless. Now I just buy a rain jacket every year lol. The ICON PDX worked great for a year then the water proofing wore out. Best waterproofing I have seen has come form a company called Frog Toggs, got a rain gear set from them for $69 that keeps me dry in anything rainfall and keeps me very warm . Hope this helps.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/MotoCentric-Overtrek-Gloves-Large-X-Large/dp/B003JLHR3U/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359405232&sr=8-15&keywords=motocentric]MotoCentric Overtrek Gloves - Large/X-Large/Black : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-78137-QuadGear-Black/dp/B001NOJ6IY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1]Classic Accessories 78137 QuadGear Black ATV Mitts, Fits most ATVs : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ICON-RAIN-JACKET-MILITARY-YELLOW/dp/B0055150PE/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1359405877&sr=1-3&keywords=icon+pdx]ICON PDX RAIN JACKET MILITARY SPEC YELLOW LG : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Toadz-Rainsuit-Gender/dp/B004S527M2/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1359405908&sr=1-23&keywords=frog+toggs]Frogg Toggs Toadz Horny Toadz Rainsuit, Gender: Mens, Color: Hi-Vis Green, Size: Lg NT10322-148-LG : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

This is what I do. I'd rather not be plugged in into the bike or require additional batteries. Summer gloves under muffs with heaters work pretty nicely on my 40-60 minute commute down to 25F.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought but I had a teacher in high school who rode an old grimey Honda to school in Seattle. The guy was always broke because he had like 6 kids and was a teacher and his wife stayed at home.

At one point I think something happened to his leather gloves or something. But this guy started riding in some knit gloves stuffed inside some blue dishwashing gloves. If you think about the dishwashing gloves are waterproof, go over the wrist, have some liner and are fairly durable with good grip. He had some fine wool knit gloves that fit in there perfect.

I know you probably wouldn't do this, but in a pinch, think about it.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Held freezer gloves and I love them. They are a bit bulky but very warm :thumbup: it has a wiper as well.

Not to knock on these gloves but what do you consider cold? They don't seem to be to highly rated when it comes to deep cold. And for the price tag they better be FANTASTIC. Some review highlights...

the gloves are nice. had to get a size lager for my finger length, witch is stated on there sizing so that's cool. My fingers did get cold @ around 50" on a short ride home from work. I don't really think these are much better than any other cheaper options.

The thick Primaloft insulation make this glove bulky; the trade-off supposedly for superior frigid temp protection, but I found both the pure insulative properties and the poor performance of the Gore-Tex liner to block the wind from permeating the fingers to be really lacking. Poor tactile feel of handlebar controls due to the bulk also fatigues the hands on longer rides. These obscenely-priced gloves don't protect from bitter/extreme conditions any better than any other winter glove down past 45 degrees, thus I am totally disappointed... numb fingers pretty quickly. Too bad; they are beautifully constructed and finished... really nice to look at and feel (only).

I live in the NW and like to commute (50 minutes) as deep into Fall as possible on my bike. I bought these gloves hoping they would help me do so without having to deal with price/hassle of heated gear. Unfortunately, as the mornings got below 48 degrees, the gloves proved less than effective. Even with a liner, at 45 degrees my hands were icicles after 30 minutes of riding. I suppose for unheated gloves they work as well as anything else, but if you're looking for something that is going to actually keep your hands from freezing during rides longer than 30 minutes, in anything under 48-46 degrees then you're best bet is heated gear.

I bought these gloves because I wanted the warmest non heated glove I could find. I already owned a pair of warm weather Held gloves that I wear all the time and LOVE them. I was a little disappointed when the "freezer" gloves arrived as they don't look like they have any any obvious protection features. Then when I wore them out on 40 -50 degree rides My cold hands were all I could think about. I'm buying Gore -tex next time! Great company, poor product!

For a $125.00 I was very disappointing. I have a pair that I purchased at Dick's for 35.00 that keep my fingers just as
warm. If it is less than 45 to degrees for get it. An if I could find the receipt I would sent then back.
I guess I will keep them for spring riding.

And there is more...

Would love to find a glove everyone agrees on but I can't find one. If anyone does please msg me.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like bar muffs are a practical option for me. Coupled with my glove liners and regular gloves it seems like they might just work.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my third winter here in Seattle. Can't believe I'm still doing this. My first year was terrible, froze my azz off everywhere I went. Had some TGP TUNDRA gloves, lol Tundra yeah right... Played around with glove liners never found any that really helped. I got some heated grips installed that work when they want to and that's usually not when I want them to :( I found these over-gloves from MOTO CENTRIC that I really like for $13, they are no silver bullet but they do help and on the day's in the high 20's last week or two they really saved my hide when the grips chose not to work. I also have a set of elephant ears I like, there kind of long and hard to get your hand back in at speed but they do the trick if you KNOW your commute is going to suck.

I still can't find a glove that will work perfectly, the problem with riding all year is finding quality gear, to many times I've purchased highly rated gear and yeah it was fine for a fair weather rider that gets caught in the rain but seeing daily rain fall or an actual storm most of this stuff just don't hold up. I've stopped buying expensive 4 season jackets due to how much rain I see, eventually it soaks through and the jacket is pointless. Now I just buy a rain jacket every year lol. The ICON PDX worked great for a year then the water proofing wore out. Best waterproofing I have seen has come form a company called Frog Toggs, got a rain gear set from them for $69 that keeps me dry in anything rainfall and keeps me very warm . Hope this helps.

MotoCentric Overtrek Gloves - Large/X-Large/Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

Classic Accessories 78137 QuadGear Black ATV Mitts, Fits most ATVs : Amazon.com : Automotive

ICON PDX RAIN JACKET MILITARY SPEC YELLOW LG : Amazon.com : Automotive

Frogg Toggs Toadz Horny Toadz Rainsuit, Gender: Mens, Color: Hi-Vis Green, Size: Lg NT10322-148-LG : Amazon.com : Automotive

I can't make out from the product description but do you think the opening on the bar mitts is wide enough for me to get my gloved hands in along with Joe Rocket jacket + Jacket liner? Its not very bulky but a second opinion on any hacks you might have had to make to get the mitts to work would be appreciated.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, the temperture finally got above freezing the past couple of days and I thought I never would say this, but the temps hovering the freezing level felt tropical.

I agree, riding in temperture at zero or -17C, my heated gloves will only make the ride doable without freezing your fingers. So I just ordered these muffs, importing them from the UK. They are waterproof and will help keep my hands warm conbined with my heated gloves.

Set me back $80, includes shipping.

Bagster - Box-R

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up gulping down a Bushmills and buying the mitts([ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NOJ6IY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]Quadgear ATV Mitts[/ame])

Damn Irish whisky and its power to make me impulse buy!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
No mod's for me on the elephant ears they have plenty of room and you can put them on in less than a minute, surprised they didn't cost more. Oh and I take back what I said about Frog Toggs the crotch leaked out tonight.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations all. I actually ended up cancelling my bar mitt order because I was concerned about mobility since they are so enclosed. I ended up getting some discount handlebar muffs from Ebay.

I'll keep you all posted on how my cheapo purchase pans out. :thumbup: