Windscreen Restoration

Mta1981

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, So my windscreen has that nasty yellow dinge to it much like a headlamp assembly gets over time and I'm wondering if one of those headlight restoration kits would work for cleaning it up. Has anyone had any experience in trying this or in theory would it work?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has these little white dots on it from where the PO got ??? on it. I've been wondering the same thing about headlight resto kits. The white dots are not too noticeable but have kept me from painting the inside of it cause I'm afraid it would make them stand out even more. I hope someone has tried it and will share their experience.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, So my windscreen has that nasty yellow dinge to it much like a headlamp assembly gets over time and I'm wondering if one of those headlight restoration kits would work for cleaning it up. Has anyone had any experience in trying this or in theory would it work?

I never tried it.

Save your money. essentially all you do it you use rubbing compound and you just buff it out.

Go to a local automotive body shop with your windscreen. Ask them if they could buff it out for you. It will probably cost you about $20.

that's how I buffed out my windshield on my cruiser.

Keep in mind that it's not going to fix deep windscreen scratches 100% but it should at least take off majority of the yellow fogginess.

PS- Don't use any Windex of ammonia based cleaner. It only degrades the plastic thus creating the fogginess.

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 1997 ZX6 that had a yellowed screen. I used the headlight "polish" on it and it came out quite good.
Funny because it didn't do much for my car's headlights. One thing about the windscreen is that I could polish both sides, where the headlights I could only do the outside.

7.62fmj

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never tried to restore a screen per se but I have polished screens and headlights and got some amazing results. You should use a proprietary plastic polish though. Xerapol is good but I've also used the Yamaha plastic polish to good effect.

Mta1981

Reaction score
Visit site
so I washed and waxed the bike today and went over the windscreen with meguiars plastx plastic polish but the weather turned to crap and I lost sunlight, couldnt even see how my wax job came out. From what I could tell it cleared the windscreen up some, I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When choosing products; just make sure it says polishing compound and/or swirl and haze removal as "Cutting" compounds will scratch it so you have to use polishing compound. Its going to take at least a good 30 min of circular polishing plus clean up so don't speed through it.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a windscreen from TechnicalNonsense for FREE+ shipping (Thanks TN) it was yellowed a good bit (as he indicated in his freebie post) from sun+age (came off an 04'). I got the Meguiars "Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit" (says right on the box Motorcycle windshield) to try and clean it up a bit before putting it on my fizz.

I took LOADS of pics but will just post the ones I know you all want to see!

Before
100_6317_zpsa9e84d61.jpg

Split Befor and After
100_6335_zps6ea26276.jpg

After
100_6340_zps3c735e0f.jpg

The process took about 2hrs (I did inside too) folloing the directions to the letter...I am very happy with the results!!

You can see the album at
Windscreen restoration pictures by phrank2k11 - Photobucket