Windscreen question

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm planning on replacing the stock windscreen sometime in the next couple weeks. My older brother bought a clear puig racing for his 08 fz6 and after riding his bike, I could tell a huge difference in the amount of air hitting my helmet especially on the highway. I narrowed it down to either the dark smoke or straight black but I cant decide. I think the black would look better but I'm worried about the fact I wouldnt be able to see through it. I'm 6'0" and I guess I dont really find myself looking through the screen too often. Any thoughts from anyone who has tried either?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to be able to tuck, go with transparent. I got a clear Puig (light smoke would have been OK.. dark would have been too dark).
None of them look *great*, imo. It makes the bike look less sporty and more sport-touring. Might as well go for function over form.

attachment.php

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just over 6' 2" and went to the dark smoke puig racing screen almost immediately.

I rarely, if ever, find myself actually looking through the screen. However, I also rarely tuck. But when I do, I can still see everything I need to.

If you're worried it will obstruct your view, I would say it is minimal at worst.

Scorp

jcrawford

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the Puig all black. I tuck from time to time, but can see over the windscreen even then. I do agree that it looks less sporty and more touring. The Puig windscreen is taller than the factory.

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
i've got two windsheilds that came w/ my bike when i bought it so before the current 400 mi trip im on right now i put the extended winter sheild on but i couldnt tell a difference. I went to lowes and bought a 6$ peice of plexy glass, put a jig saw to it and bolted it to the windsheild to give it about 5 more inches. 85 mph feels like im standin still, i love it. looks stupid but fully functional for long trips... i mainly did it so i can hear my ipod w/o it cranked all the way up.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to lowes and bought a 6$ peice of plexy glass, put a jig saw to it and bolted it to the windsheild to give it about 5 more inches. 85 mph feels like im standin still, i love it. looks stupid but fully functional for long trips... .

Can you add some pics of this?

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the Puig all black. I tuck from time to time, but can see over the windscreen even then. I do agree that it looks less sporty and more touring. The Puig windscreen is taller than the factory.

How tall are you? I think the all black looks the best in my opinion, and I can see over the stock screen when tucked (which i don't do too often) I just don't know if the extra height with the Puig will be an issue...

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the puig double bubble looks great, bought one in light smoke and tried it,
for me anyway it was freakin' horrible, more turbulence, higher up and noisy
as hell, now have the OEM touring screen on, much cleaner air but even
louder, above 50mph I have to plug the ears on long rides or they ring for
hours...got a little trip into the city tomorrow, around 400 kms or so and I'm
gonna switch to the stock screen 'cause we got awesome weather right now,
for the longer rides in uncertain weather I'm gonna order a Cal Sci touring
screen, couple of buddies with similar bikes have'm and they seem to work
well for wind/rain pretection without blowing your ear drums out

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
As you can tell,windscreens are very much like stereo equipment. Everybodys got a different opinion. I chose a Puig double bubble in light smoke and am very happy with the results. My main concern when I bought it was the buffeting on the freeway. It's much improved over the stock shield. So, I guess what I'm saying is there is no answer that will be correct for you. Just don't buy a piece of plexiglass and make your own. I think you'll be disappointed.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted my stock screen straight up black - 100% opaque. I am 6'1, and RARELY ever looked through the windscreen. It's been 2 years now and I have no regrets about it except my camera mount must aim over my screen to get a view now.

If you're aiming for cosmetics, I would suggest painting the stock screen, even cutting it if your artsy/balssy. If you're aiming for efficiency, the puig would probably be your best bet.

Personally, I would choose the dark smoke because i don't find it at all comfortable to rest my chin on the tank to see out the screen, even then I still can see right over the screen. No regrets about it being 100% opaque. Cosmetically, its beautiful too.

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted my stock screen straight up black - 100% opaque. I am 6'1, and RARELY ever looked through the windscreen. It's been 2 years now and I have no regrets about it except my camera mount must aim over my screen to get a view now.

If you're aiming for cosmetics, I would suggest painting the stock screen, even cutting it if your artsy/balssy. If you're aiming for efficiency, the puig would probably be your best bet.

Personally, I would choose the dark smoke because i don't find it at all comfortable to rest my chin on the tank to see out the screen, even then I still can see right over the screen. No regrets about it being 100% opaque. Cosmetically, its beautiful too.

I thought about cutting it for a better look, but I'm afraid I'd end up messing the whole thing up and having to buy a new one which is just more money I can't spend on other mods. Probably just going to paint it today or tomorrow...

What type of paint do you recommend using?

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm planning on replacing the stock windscreen sometime in the next couple weeks. My older brother bought a clear puig racing for his 08 fz6 and after riding his bike, I could tell a huge difference in the amount of air hitting my helmet especially on the highway. I narrowed it down to either the dark smoke or straight black but I cant decide. I think the black would look better but I'm worried about the fact I wouldnt be able to see through it. I'm 6'0" and I guess I dont really find myself looking through the screen too often. Any thoughts from anyone who has tried either?

Hi bjohn913,

I'm 6'1" and got the light smoke exactly for the reason you mentioned. I sometimes tuck behind the windscreen on the freeway, but I noticed that my line of sight will be just over the windscreen in that position. Sooo... my point is, if you want the black or dark smoke, go for it, I don't think they'll impede your visibility if you tuck behind them, as you'll look just over the top edge.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up painting it straight black last night and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Went out for a ride after and I could see over the top of it easily in any position. I'll post pics sometime today or tomorrow...just gotta find my camera:confused:

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Puig dark smoke screen and I use a dark smoke visor on my helmet and in a full tuck I can still see through both with no problems.