Wind ?? Strong wind ??

JoeDalton

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Made my first 1000 kilo ride here in Canada as the snow just left the country !! It's my first FZ6, and my first "sport" bike or so.

I've been riding a Heavy Custom (Kawa VN1500) for my last bike.

I rided enough to feel comfortable and secure until strongs winds make me scared !!

I've been very scary on my FZ6 taking an Exit from my local highway as i felt my front wheel gliding (not sure of that word, i mean moved from right to left)
pushed by the strong wind !! And believe me, i was not riding at high speed, i was only about 50 Kilometer/hour when it happened !

Is it just a feeling i got or it is a thing to be wared about. My last bike was not so impressed by the lateral wind !!

Do i worry for nothing ?

Thanks.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 will be a BIG change in this regard. It is comparatively light next to your last ride. Here in North Texas it seems as though it is always windy >15mph with 20-25 gusts very common. It took a little gettting used to especially in curves but the nervousness will go away as you get used to how the lighter bike reacts to high winds. Try to not focus on it too much (i know easier said then done) and stay loose and relaxed in your arms and dont overcorrect, just sort of make easy smooth adjustments to lean angles and stering inputs. Congrats on the FZ6 and enjoy it, its a great bike and loads of fun.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello welcome to the forums. The snow isn't gone in all of Canada unfortunately. I don't find the FZ6 bad in wind. The difference is weight. Your Kawi was probably in the mid 700 lbs and the fz6 is mid 400's. Something to be aware of coming out of tunnels or passing a big rig when you go from no side wind to a full blast.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not only is the bike lighter, but it is taller... so it might take a little bit to get used to in the wind, i assure you that it is quite stable, just feels different.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
here in Pa, the wind can get crazy sometimes. I've been riding down the street leaning hard to my left or right just to compensate for the wind.

I think its just something to get used to - as the other guys were saying, the fz6 is a light weight bike, especially in comparison to your 1500.

JoeDalton

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to you all !!

As long as my front wheel has stayed right on the road and it was just a feeling !! I'll get use as you all said.

Thanks.

Louis From Québec !!:Flash: