Why would fuel pour out from the little hose under the bike??

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been working on my tank a lot recently because Im going to put a new one on but ran into some problems.. So I put the stock tank back on and put some fuel in using a gas can and a cup or 2 poured out of the little hose that is under the bike.. When I first took the tank off I noticed that one of the hoses wasnt connected, I wasnt sure if I accidently yanked it off when opening the tank up or if it was supposed to be like that.. so when I reinstalled the tank I hooked the hose back up.. Im wondering if its the same hose that fuel came out of.. Im confused, help! :)

Adam

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've been working on my tank a lot recently because Im going to put a new one on but ran into some problems.. So I put the stock tank back on and put some fuel in using a gas can and a cup or 2 poured out of the little hose that is under the bike.. When I first took the tank off I noticed that one of the hoses wasnt connected, I wasnt sure if I accidently yanked it off when opening the tank up or if it was supposed to be like that.. so when I reinstalled the tank I hooked the hose back up.. Im wondering if its the same hose that fuel came out of.. Im confused, help! :)

Adam

You filled from a gas can.

I'll bet that you spilled some in the filler opening, but not into the actual hole in the tank.

When you did that, the spilled fuel ran out the rainwater drain hose. It's there to keep your gas cap from filling up with water whenever it rains on your bike, since that water would go into the tank when you next opened the cap.

If you spilled some gas and it ran out the drain, that just shows that the drain works as designed.

Short version: You're in good shape. Ride the bike and don't worry.

Edit: I just saw that you live in Arizona, so it's no wonder that you're not familiar with the function of the rainwater drain. :)

Fred

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
You filled from a gas can.

I'll bet that you spilled some in the filler opening, but not into the actual hole in the tank.

When you did that, the spilled fuel ran out the rainwater drain hose. It's there to keep your gas cap from filling up with water whenever it rains on your bike, since that water would go into the tank when you next opened the cap.

If you spilled some gas and it ran out the drain, that just shows that the drain works as designed.

Short version: You're in good shape. Ride the bike and don't worry.

Edit: I just saw that you live in Arizona, so it's no wonder that you're not familiar with the function of the rainwater drain. :)

Fred

I had a feeling it had something to do with those extra holes next to the main one :) Thank god.. all these tank issues have been stressing me out, glad this was not a big deal.. P.S. I saw some lightening tonight, thats close to rain! :)