why even use rear brake?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is likely to lock under heavy braking and doesnt even help that much. it might slow you down much and does so with great difficulty in an emergency situation and just adds risk of another form of danger...namely locked rear tire

why not just use front brake and engine braking alone all the time?

except for low speed parking lot stuff i mean

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have this guide

* The use of both brakes together will invariably slow you down more quickly than using just one of them.

* The use of both brakes together results in LESS weight transfer than does using just the front one. (Assuming equal total braking force applied.)

* Use of both brakes tends to lengthen the life of your front brakes.

* If you need to stop or slow down on slick or gravel surfaces, the rear brake is just the ticket (in combination with a very gentle hand on the front one.)

* If you are going less than 20 MPH then both brakes are effective (and relatively safe.)

* In very slow maneuvers, the use of the rear brake alone often provides added stability and control of your motorcycle.

but even then, apart from the gravel and super low speed stuff, i dont see much value in using the rear brake above 20kph

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
The rear break is there to stabilize the bike, i keeps it grounded in other terms, otherwise all the pressure and weight goes to the front and that can make the front end give out for exemple...

H

HavBlue

It may just be in the way you are applying the brake. Learn to use both and learn to apply them properly without panic. I use mine all the time and it helps to control weight transfer as well as stabilizing the bike. Without it there is no way you can can make the distance.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The front wheel does 75% of your braking. The rear wheel does the remaining 25%.

That's not to be sneered at. A 25% reduction in your stopping distance is the difference between "That was close!" and "Somebody call 911!"

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Lets not foget that the rear brake car really help you setup for a turn. While trail-braking isn't something you'd want to do often; if you are really into taking the twisties fast, trail-braking is essential.
BTW, it's something you would want to learn in a VERY safe environment.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my rear brake,
It gives me balance in traffic and stability in corners when it gets a bit twitchy. I am not talking about full on depressing of the brake leaver. Just gentle pressure. It really adds something to my riding anyway.

Nelly

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading Proficient Motorcycling and understood the (simple) concept that you need the weight on the front wheel to slow down quick and its the front brake that does that, I've sort of given up on the rear brake for now. The other key point of that book is that in the emergency situation, you are going to do what you do in the normal situation: your habit. If your habit doesn't involve using the front brake properly, you're in trouble. Plus, I'm not that sure what I would do on the rear brake (stomp it maybe?) in a panic. Finally, in a real-life moderate quick stop from 50 mph, I skidded the rear easily and it was scary. I'm pretty much using on the front until I feel like that is my habit, and I may start easing into the rear later.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I use the rear brake all the time when I just need to lose a little bit of speed or I need to slow down gradually. Saves wear on the front brakes and improves my 'touch' on the rear in case I really need it.

I also practice trail-braking while still under accelleration with the rear. It's a great way to keep the bike sitting down in a turn but trimming off a little bit of speed if you need to. When I say a little bit, I mean it. You can't mash it and hope. I practice on turns I know well when I'm going slow enough that I know I won't bin it. I'm getting better at it now so hopefully one day when I'm on a track I can have another tool in my toolbox, so to speak.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all about control. If you can control your bike well you will have no problems slowing down by first engine-braking, front and rear braking at the same time. The rear tire will only skid from under you if too much weight is on the front wheel. A gradual application of the rear brake will decrease your stopping distance by a large margin. It helps to you take the MSF course. It is all about control.

Last edited:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out on Sunday morning going through a sequence of twisties, doing 50ish mph. Nice day,dry roads & a fair wind blowing. I saw the signs saying slow, bend, 25mph, I just had a brain fart & choose to ignore them. Looking ahead I know see that that the bend is a left hander & over 90 deg. It's too late I'm already committed to the bend TFF (Too F***** Fast). As I turn in the road is wet (actually awash). I felt the bike start to slither under me. I can't lean it any more or I'm off. I can't use the front brake even with ABS I'd be off. By now I've crossed the double white line in the middle of the road & I'm headed for the hedge (if there had been a truck coming...). A gently dab on the back brake, The bike starts to sit up a little, scrubs off some speed, I regain control of the bike. Get back on my side of the road. Panic over.

What I should have done then is stop, empty my underwear & regain some composure. I kept going & it was probably 20 miles later by the time the adrenalin calmed down & I was anything like focussed again.

All the circumstances which lead to this event were my fault. But the rear brake saved me. I can't think of a better reason, can you?

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
An instructor once told me that the proper technique would be to brake progressively on the front brake and degressively on the rear brake.

That means : you "stomp" the rear brake and then slowly release pressure on the pedal, and at the same time, you start pulling the front brake gently, and apply more and more pressure... until you come to a complete and safe stop.

It requires a lot of practice, especially trying to release the rear brake slowly while performing an emergency stop...

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I learnt that you should brake first with the front and then the rear using a ration 80:20 F&R.
Manufacturers wouldnt spend money on rear brakes if there was no point in them, but a quick look at the bike shows 2 at the front and 1 at the rear this gives you your clue as to application.
Where rear braking comes into it's own is at slow speed such as filtering.
Using the front brake compresses the frame and reduces stability. Using the back brake stretches the frame and increases stability and smoothness in handling with the added bonus of leaving your right hand to concentrate solely on the throttle.

Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
An instructor once told me that the proper technique would be to brake progressively on the front brake and degressively on the rear brake.

That means : you "stomp" the rear brake and then slowly release pressure on the pedal, and at the same time, you start pulling the front brake gently, and apply more and more pressure... until you come to a complete and safe stop.

Just don't lock it up. I add progressively increasing pressure to both brakes simultaneously while continuously judging the urgency of my need to stop or slow vs the liklihood of locking either brake up.

You're right it does take a good bit of practice.....

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not using the rear brake then I would suggest a skills course immediately. Rear brake is essential for the stability of the motorcycle. When stopping I use a little rear aswell as front just so the weight is distributed evenly but to slow down especially in the twisties, mid corner if you are over committed or just for stability in a turn at whatever speed the rear is the go. I'd definately prefer to lock the rear than the front, atleast you have a chance of gaining control from locking the rear.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it to keep the rust off of my rear rotor...

Seriously, it does help stablize the bike. Remember, engines make you go, brakes make you stop. Don't worry about engine braking.

In an emergency stop, clutch in, brakes on full.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my rear brake,
It gives me balance in traffic and stability in corners when it gets a bit twitchy. I am not talking about full on depressing of the brake leaver. Just gentle pressure. It really adds something to my riding anyway.

Nelly

Same here...rear braking during a long corner works great! I always use both brakes as evenly as i can when stopping. Works great and reduces front brake wear and excess heat.