Why does it continue to stall!?

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, guys I’ve got a bit of an issue. I own had '07 FZ6. Recently my bike has been stalling a $hit ton. The first time it did this was the end of last season. I put it away and then brought it back out for this season. After I brought it out it started stalling at least once anytime I took it anywhere. For the last month it stopped and hasn’t done it once. Now this week it has started and its worse than ever.
Okay so it seems as if it’s one of two things. Either there could be water in the tank and it stalls from failing to combust or maybe it’s an electrical error by the ignition button and kill switch.
Sometime when I start it, it’ll idle for a moment and then die, but it doesn’t always do this, or I can rev it to 14K and it’ll just die. When I ride it and it stalls sometime it just jolts, like ill be going and then all power is lost and then it'll kick back in, or it’ll die altogether. Sometimes if I rev it stalls and then it'll kick back in around 1k rpms before it re-engages. This morning I stopped at a stop sign and of course it stalled. I pulled the clutch and hit the ignition and nothing happened. I then turned it off and then on again still nothing. So I hit the ignition box and then it worked??? Its most likely to stall when I’m in second in the 30's through town. Once I get on the highway its usually fine but yesterday I was doing 80 @ 8K rpms and it stalled wtf. So I then pull the clutch kill start and continue on every time. I thought maybe I’d be a Throttle Control Sensor issue but that was on typically on the older models again it’s an '07.
The shop would have to diagnose and they charge $70 per hr. So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info just let me know, thanks.

Last edited:

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I’ll take apart the ignition switch box apart and see if there anything wrong inside it, maybe something is broke or lose? as far as the kickstand kill switch its interesting I haven’t even thought about it although I do have my doubts. Haha I haven’t heard of bump starting before but it sound pretty ridiculous lol. Anyways ill check into it more thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems we have had a lot of faulty kill switches popping up this year on the forum. If you can, make a jumper wire to jump the two wires on the kill switch. Ride it and get back to us....The kill switch can go intermittent and cause these same symptoms. :Flash:

Edit: you beat me to it! Haha!
i've heard of a bad kill switch causing this stalling problem

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you explain the jumper wire? Is there another thread that explains that maybe some pictures? I’m a pro with picture books:) Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you explain the jumper wire? Is there another thread that explains that maybe some pictures? I’m a pro with picture books:) Thanks

There are 2 wires that go to the kill switch. All you have to do is make a jumper to close the circuit between the two wires. It's very simple. There is a thread where someone did this. There isn't a large amount of current that flows through this circuit. It's a logic signal, high/low that the ECU sees. The wires are soldered to the kill switch. Crossing the 2 wires closes the circuit.

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm that’s above my mechanical skills:justkidding:. Wow okay thanks a ton I thought I’d be something complicated as I’m not that great in electrical. I shall fix and report.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To quote something from a like minded thinker and my mechanical repertoire.

"If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!"

Sounds like a hammer is out my friend. Good luck.

Nelly:thumbup:

Ev018

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, guys I’ve got a bit of an issue. I own had '07 FZ6. Recently my bike has been stalling a $hit ton. The first time it did this was the end of last season. I put it away and then brought it back out for this season. After I brought it out it started stalling at least once anytime I took it anywhere. For the last month it stopped and hasn’t done it once. Now this week it has started and its worse than ever.
Okay so it seems as if it’s one of two things. Either there could be water in the tank and it stalls from failing to combust or maybe it’s an electrical error by the ignition button and kill switch.
Sometime when I start it, it’ll idle for a moment and then die, but it doesn’t always do this, or I can rev it to 14K and it’ll just die. When I ride it and it stalls sometime it just jolts, like ill be going and then all power is lost and then it'll kick back in, or it’ll die altogether. Sometimes if I rev it stalls and then it'll kick back in around 1k rpms before it re-engages. This morning I stopped at a stop sign and of course it stalled. I pulled the clutch and hit the ignition and nothing happened. I then turned it off and then on again still nothing. So I hit the ignition box and then it worked??? Its most likely to stall when I’m in second in the 30's through town. Once I get on the highway its usually fine but yesterday I was doing 80 @ 8K rpms and it stalled wtf. So I then pull the clutch kill start and continue on every time. I thought maybe I’d be a Throttle Control Sensor issue but that was on typically on the older models again it’s an '07.
The shop would have to diagnose and they charge $70 per hr. So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info just let me know, thanks.

word for word I'm having the exact same issue. It came close to putting me in a serious accident the last time as it was raining and cut out mid-turn in a very busy intersection. I notice it happens more frequently as my tank is low or just filled up so also thought it might be water or debree in my tank. Did the kill switch solution work for you?

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
I FIXED IT! I deffinatly knew it was a faulty kill switch bc when it died i just hit the box and id continue you chug allong lol.
Alright so i opened the box and found out that there is a black and white piece. The black piece has a piece of copper that touches the connected wires. Well it wasn't very tight and when it pulled away a lil the metal piece would lose contact with the wires. So nothing was broke and theirs not allot to fix it. What i did notice is the two pieces where not to tight. So i broke off a piece of bobby pin and shoved it in there too make it tight. I made it allot tighter. PROBLEM SOLVED lol. The other method was to connect the two wires closing the circuit but then both the kickstand and the kill switch wouldn't work. Sorry for any confusion but hopefully the pictures will make more sense of my nonsense:)