Why did you buy your FZ6?

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Although dealerships have loosened up since, I wasn't able to test ride. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't as I would likely not have purchased it. I was so used to the low-range torque of my cruiser that my first few rides on the FZ left me unimpressed. Of course, now that I know how to ride it, I have no desire for anything else. People underestimate the FZ6 and I enjoy not showing all of my cards up front. Who knew we have a bike that puts out nearly 100hp and will do around 150 MPH or whatever that is in those kalomomometers that some of you write about. ;)

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
It was cheap. If money were not an object, it wouldn't be in my garage.

That said, it's a nice bike. Handles alright, power is kind of goofy... there's a dead spot in the throttle. I still have to check the TPS, but it already had the recall performed. :shrug:

Looks alright, comfortable, decent 2-up machine for me and my 10 year old son... but it really doesn't do anything for me on a spiritual or emotional level. It's just another run-of-the-mill Japanese bike to me.

todd

Reaction score
Visit site
If money were not an object, it wouldn't be in my garage.

Money is no guarantee either. That Streetfighter S I rode was $20,000. It was nowhere near as stable or enjoyable to ride as the $3,499 fifteen year old 750SS that I rode immediately before it for comparison. This is why I feel test rides are uber important but also, maybe why the dealerships don't always offer them.

I think dealers should offer long-term test rides; $100/day (or whatever) and that would be credited towards your purchase. I guess that means they would need to carry a demo of each bike or possibly a pristine version since some people are weird about buying a bike with more than 1 mile on the odometer. Aren't pretty much all cars at the lots demos? I do realize that the sales person does come along for the ride. Not always comfy or convenient on a monoposto.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-todd

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
The Ducati Supersport is one of the most underrated streetbikes on the planet, IMAO. I don't care too much for the Streetfighter, either. Now, the Multistrada? Hell yes! I'm on a mission to put one in my garage in the near future.

mootybb

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike came to me through a recomendation from a co-worker. I was looking for a more commuter friendly bike than my street fighter xr650r.
I ride everyday now and have converted the XR back to dirt. I also rode a cbr 600 for a while but the FZ6 just calls to be ridden more than any other bike I have riden.

galland1

Reaction score
Visit site
This bike is a great value. I got a new 09 this weekend for a great price. Midlife crisis bike here too. I really love the Jekyll and Hyde personality of this bike.:D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wanted something that looked good, and was fairly cheap. I bought a used one in case I drop it (I would cry if I dropped this one let alone a brand new one!)

It's my first bike so I wanted something fairly friendly, but that I wouldn't get bored of too quickly. Also got the naked version so that I can hang on to my licence!

Didn't try it before I bought it, but I like it. It's a little snatchy, but I am getting used to that. It also sounds terrific :D

I was tempted by a ducati monster with ducati performance exhausts, which sounded awesome, but decided on something slightly more practical that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg in maintenance, and wouldn't melt in the rain :D

Islandvibe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

I just purchased my FZ6 two days ago, already put 300k on it. Here's the progression:

I bought my first street bike two months ago, a 2000 Ninja 500. I understand that to be a great first bike to learn on, and people actually race the things. At 6'2" I figured if I could deal with the size of the bike for a while, I could learn then move on.

I liked the Ninja 500 a lot, didn't really see the need for more power, but just wanted a bike that FIT. So I started looking...

*Ninja 650R: too small, too soft
*Kawi Versys: too upright, felt like Jolly Jumper (although I hear the bike's kick-ass)
*Zuke SV650S: used purchase, but wrong ergonomics for the purpose (long yet inspired rides/commutes). Read that it's VERY touchy, which would be bad for me given experience and environment.
*Yamaha FZ6R: Seemed like it might work. But the seating position was not what I was looking for, a little too much pressure was on my wrists, and seat pushed me into the tank. Also, if you adjust the seat to higher position, there is a gap between the seat and the bike which ruins the aesthetics (I like details). Also, the bike gave me a 'trying to fit in with the cool kids' vibe that I couldn't get over.
*FZ6: WOW! This bike feels great from the moment I sit down. Nice comfortable seat, neutral yet sporty. Not pushing me forward onto my wrists and into tank too much. Foot positioning is near-perfect, I can reach and operate shifter and brake easily and comfortably with size 13 riding boots. Seems like it was built for a grown man. The frame is way better. Undertail exhaust very cool. Fit and finish and general quality of build just seem better somehow. This bike simply fits me.

So yeah, I felt weird about not taking it for a test ride. I could have waited a couple days and insisted on a ride to decide between the FZ6 and FZ6R because it was raining hard on the day I bought the bike. But every time I jumped on the FZ6 I just KNEW it was my bike!!!

As far as the ride, it's great. Easy to turn into corners, amazing ride. The engine quality seems outstanding, although I'm still in the break-in stage. Power seems fantastic so far, and the sound of the bike is like melted chocolate (if you love chocolate).

This bike will do what you ask of it. Want more sport: OEM or aftermarket full fairings, handlebars, etcetera. Tour: slap on some bags, how about heated grips and taller windscreen?

Go to a few shops, sit on all the bikes that you think might fit the bill, then buy the FZ6.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
The short answer is it fit.

I started on a CB750, 20+ years old when I bought it. Great bike. A buddy had a sv650r that he kept in my garage that became mine for a while as well. It was a really fun bike but the 'rr-sport' seating position was not good on my back. Then the bike show came to Chicago. :) I went out and sat on 100's of bikes. Of all the bikes I sat on (sadly Triumph was not there) the two I liked best was the Honda 919 and the FZ6. (the 599 was not being sold here at the time). Both bikes fit, I felt comfortable and right on them. But the FZ6 looked better to me.

Time moves on a few years and I sold the CB when I moved. Bought a Shadow bacause the price was right. Following year I decided that at a cruiser was not the way to go and went looking at 599's 919's and FZ6's. I now own a pair. :)

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike. I bought it used from a dealership, it was only a year old and still under warranty. I didn't know anything about the FZ6 when I bought it, I was looking for something in the 600cc range, sporty style, and in my price range.

This was above what my original price range was but not unreasonable. I bought it even before I had my permit, (got the permit the same day I picked it up) I really didn't know much about motorcycles at all, but had plans to go through a course. I was actually on Military Leave and didn't have the time to do the course, so I did it a few months later after my tour in Iraq was over.

The bike really grew on me, I love riding it and have been very happy over all. I have ideas to mod it and make it my own but I still enjoy the looks.

bobbo7

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my last bike in 1988 (Kawasaki EX500). Sold it in 1991 to go to grad school. Wanted another bike. FZ6 has similar upright position, great seat for me and my wife, fuel injection, I can flat foot it, and my first bike was a Yamaha. Local dealer had the best "out the door price" with absolutely NO haggling: $6,484 for a brand new, still in the crate, cobalt blue 2009 fz6. Couldn't pass it up. :eek:)

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Seating position – not doing pushups on the handlebars, probably the main seller IMO
2. Very versatile bike. - Good for quick rides here and there, but also can take on long trips comfortably, and commuting.
3. Low weight- (400lb) bike is more maneuverable than heavyweight cruiser
4. Price - Found an awesome deal and im on a budget ($4000 for a 2009 with 1200miles)
5. A dealer told me this bike would perform better with a passenger than a cruiser would. (I carry passengers often)
6. Bike isn’t unnecessarily huge. – who needs some giant motorcycle anyways? Compensating for something?

Jeff Douglass

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a number of fine motorcycles over the past forty years and had "retired" from motorcycling 2 years ago. When I decided to return to motorcycling I went shopping the whole range of what was available new in 2009. From BMW to Harley Davidson to Yamaha and everything in between.

The FZ6 stood out in the showroom. Elegant and sporty looking without the silly graphics of sport bikes. The rider fit, a nice comfortable seating position, not too leaned over, and I can flat-foot it (both feet down). A factory center stand. I insist any motorcycle I own must have a centerstand. And amazingly, like the 1973 BMW R60 I once owned, the centerstand is very near the balance point - you can pull either wheel without any additional supports (well, I have the Givi hard bags mounted which contributes to the balance). Great adjustability - the foot controls have a good range of adjustment, and real handlebars that can be moved with extenders, etc. The fit and finish is first rate, the black cast aluminum frame, motor & transmission, exhaust headers are all beautifully done.

Flexibility - mine is a pretty good sport tourer with the Givi hard bags and Cee Bailey tallest windshield. It's not a BMW, but then it was half the price. For commuting and 100 mile rides, it performs wonderful.

And then performance - power, handling, brakes, it is an all around good performer.

After sitting on all the others, the FZ6 kept answering every time I sat on one. I bought it without a test ride. This FZ6 forum was the final convincing factor that said yes, buy the FZ6. No regrets.

Edit: One complaint . . . the clutch. A ridiculously narrow engagement range at the lever. But I fixed that. I created a modified slave lever that lengthens the distance between the pivot points by xxmm, sorry, I would need to look up the modified verses un-modified dimension. Anyway, the clutch is now a pleasure, with a nice controllable range of lever travel.

Last edited:

DeadRider

Relax & Enjoy
Reaction score
Visit site
1.- Price
2.- Dealer Network and Service (in Chile we have awful dealers in general, but Yamaha is the best among them)
3.- Exhaust : always been in love with rear parallel exhaust (FZ6, VStrom, Shiver). This item should be n°1
4.- Access to Aftermarket and OEM parts and accesories (thru ebay, etc)
5.- Easy DIY maintenance (Oil, filters, spark plugs, coolant, sprocket, etc)

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I will just tell the truth:
it was winter, i stoped by YAMAHA dealer, it was snowing and the dealers front was covered with ice. The dealer was closed but i dropped an eye from the outside when i saw her.....that was it! i did two steps to get closer and i slept on the ice and fell (nearly broke my arm), we felt in love with each other....we had a date for the next day when the dealer opens...i went, she came we touched each other! (in the meantime i did a research on the internet and came only with positive feedback)

now time teared us apart but i know, fz6 will come better in a couple of years and i will buy it again : )