Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
roadrash.jpg

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
As an ex intsructor,you would be amazed at the the attitude of riders over wearing protection trousers{pants}.And the biggest excuse for not wearing them, was that they wear'nt cool,simple as... Right from day 1 we tried to drum it into them about how important they are. We even had trainees and advanced riders turning up for lessens wearing track suits and trainers.They were proptly turned away. Riders are prepared to spend a fortune on a stlylish skid lid and jacket before even considering trousers. Personally, i never leave the house without them. If you have ever had{thank god i havent}or seen anyone with road rash,you would'nt hesitate to wear them.
:Sport:wes.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They could be draggin jeans.

I always wear gear as I know from experience that you can be travelling at 5mph and the road can just chew your knee cap to pieces. That was in 1991 and the arthritus is just beginning to kick in.

If you thinking that putting protective trousers are a PIA to put on, just wait until that gravel gets you.

Steve

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
It really was the very last equipment I bought, but since I bought it just kept using it think it was a bad investment.
I changed my mind when I had an accident few months ago and the pants saved me from any injuries... I really recommend using it every time you ride... :thumbup:

the_newt

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a set of the icon equivalent of draggin jeans a few months ago and they aren't bad or uncool at all. They actually help in the winter by taking a bit of the edge off 50˚F air temps at 75mph (I'm in Texas, therefor a winter weather weenie. 50 is as low as I go). And the summer won't be a heat issue riding to work since I have to change into something else at work anyway :).

And I remember someone telling me if it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride. Can't remember if that was here or svriders.com but handy advice to keep in mind regardless.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear overpants on all rides to no matter how short, the pants I have take less than a min to put on and take off with the zippers on both sides of the legs, when on long rides or rides I'm going to a place that I will need to spend time at I just put the bags on and stow them when I get there, not a lot of time added because of the gear and it's one more layer the street has to rip through to get to me!, knew a guy that was knocked over on the freeway in socal that I worked with and the pain he went through and how long it took to heal is just not worth not wearing pants!, and as far as heat I rode in temps 100-110 this summer and it was only hot if I had to stop for a while, they kept the hot wind off of the skin and made it more enjoyable.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Why?

To be honest, I'm not educated enough on what the percentages are how often these safety gear comes into play out on the streets. Definately something I need to look into in more depth. Any information you have I'll take.

In the event of a high side crash, or striking a fixed or moving object, I definately would want as much protection on as possble, including the CP & BP.

Well there is a limit to how much any gear is going to do for you, right? There comes a point when it's just silly to keep strapping on more gear.

I don't have any information on how often a BP and/or CP comes into play on the street.

I bought the back protector because it was required at the track. Since I owned it and it was very comfortable, I started wearing it on spirited street rides as well. I bought the CP after a fellow rider died on the track from highsiding and landing/smashing his chest against his bike (trauma to his heart). Since I own it, I wear it on my spirited street rides (also helps make my jacket nice and snug).

Not sure how much safer I am with these on but I've grown accustomed to wearing them and it can't hurt (at least I hope not).

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
One other thing, if I were forced to go without one piece of gear out of the helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves list, I'd choose to skip the pants. Least important piece IMO (although still very important!).