Why are exhausts so expensive?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Please forgive my ignorance as I am somewhat of a new rider, but I actually have several exhaust questions...

1. Yes, why are they so expensive? I've seen several used FZ6's in good condition sell for around $4,000. I've also seen exhausts (ie. carbon fiber/titanium Two Brothers) for almost $1,000 (and they're just slip ons, not full exhausts). So the exhaust is 25% of the the cost of the whole bike? :eek:

2. Full exhaust vs slip on, difference? I don't think I've seen full exhaust upgrades for the FZ6, so do most of you have slip ons?

3. Obviously any aftermarket exhaust usually makes the bike sound better, but does it really help with performance? Most of them usually say "improves the performance of your engine"... how so? What's the reasoning behind most of you guys getting aftermarket exhausts... just the sound, or performance too?

Thanks!

-Taso

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
1. It's one of those things I guess. A specialty aftermarket item that only a handfull of companies make well. Some say they are that expensive because people are willing to pay that much for them. Supply and demand?

2. I haven't seen any FULL EXHAUST systems aviailable for the FZ6. One might get better flow from a different pipe/header setup, but I'm not an expert on exhasut systems.

The majority just have slip ons and if you think slip ons are exepnsive, try buying a whole new system! It's the same as if you tried to buy your bike as individual pieces. It would be 10x the price.

3. You can gain 3-5 horsepower (maybe even more), but that usually requires a Power Commander and some Dyno runs and tuning to get that. Simply putting on some pipes won't turn your bike into a rocket ship.

The cost is something you have to grapple with individually. I saved and waited almost 2 years before I got my Two Brothers. To me, I wanted them and that was that and be damned the price; I would find a way to get them! For me I wanted them solely for the looks and sound. I din't really care about any possible performance gains.

So maybe the exhaust companies laugh their asses off everytime someone orders a slip on going "I can't believe they actually paid that!!". Who knows. The same can be said about almost any hobby or industry. Why buy a $60,000 car when a $12,000 will still get you from A to B? Comes down to personal preference. Possibly there is an element of "elietism" about it, being that not everyone is willing or can afford to get them?

It is what it is my friend, for whatever the reason.

bertmoog

Yes, I am.
Reaction score
Visit site
Boneman has a pretty good answer there. On price, I might have something to add coming from a manufacturing background. If a certain amount of people are in demand for an item, somebody is going to figure out a way to manufacture it. In the case of exhausts (or anything really), you have two choices: 1.) pay laborers to build each and every one by hand using machinery or, 2.) build automation and machinery to manufacture the item. Either of these options is very expensive but even more expensive for something like an exhaust for an fz6. The majority of the people that buy an fz6 probably don't change the exhaust, I haven't, and the bike is not nearly as popular as say, an R6. I can tell it's not as popular because I see R6's everywhere, but I have only seen maybe 2 other fz6's. Also there are probably five different companies that I know of that make exhausts for the fz6. This further compounds the lack of need of quantity of fz6 exhausts. The true manufacturing cost of an item is determined, in part, by the quantity produced. Case in point, look at the typical fz6 slip on cost when compared to other sport bikes.

Now, not only this, but the R & D department of engineered products like exhausts must be paid as well. Not only that, but you can't buy a Two Brothers exhaust from Two Brothers Inc. You have to buy it from a retailer, who sometimes buys it from a wholesaler, who buys it from Two Brothers, and they want to get paid as well.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2. I haven't seen any FULL EXHAUST systems aviailable for the FZ6. One might get better flow from a different pipe/header setup, but I'm not an expert on exhasut systems.

and you probably never will unless your going to pony up the cash to make one..

im sure there are some engine people on here that could possibly come up with a header design to maximize flow... but to actually take the time and get prototypes (all of it would be prototypes) made and tested.. its just not worth it in the end... now unless your going to the fz6 cup... then maybe those guys have something you could take off their hands.. but the amount of time it takes to come up with the right design... money would be better spent on a new bike if your looking for power like that... :thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know what's funny, we buy the slip-ons (which ever one, I have the Scorpion C/F $475.00 shipped to my door from E-bay) that are basically straight pipe's ans some do the mid-pipe as well ($90.00) and if you think about it you can just go to a muffler place and tell them what you want, sounds easy but as far as i know no one has done it. What I really like about the Fizzer is the under the seat exhaust. You don't see this big pipe on the side of the bike, have to worry about getting burnt and so on. So IMOP it's worth the FISHNAGLE"S. As far as performance I can see, hear and feel a difference. What made a huge difference was the mid-pipe, is sounds loud and the bike responds so much better.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there.

1. There is at least 10 different companies making aftermarket exhaust, and less than 1/2 of owners upgrade to a system, it cost a good deal of money to develop a system and then you will have a limited sale of them. So they are expensive due to this.

2. You can get 1/2 system (Arrow has cat replacement and slipon) or slipons, I have 1/2 system Arrow on mine. Benefit is even less resistance in the system and even less weight, plus you don't get a glowing hot catalytic converter on it.

3. Due to lower back pressure you get higher flow out of the engine, less resitance breathing out for the engine, so it does improve the effect, where I note it the most is on high rev. Above 12000 rpm mine pulls very happily all the way to engine cut out. If you do go for slipon only the effect is there but not as much as with the 1/2 system, however 1/2 system you appreciate a Powercommander as well to avoid a lot of backfiring. The benefits in my opinion is they look better, they sound better, they lighten your bike with around 5 kilos and you get some more power out of it.

Cheers Bard