Who's got a newer JR Alter Ego?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
It's getting to be that wonderful time of year again, the time of year where I get to choose between wearing my mesh jacket and freezing my junk off in the morning, or wearing my regular jacket, and sweating it off in the afternoon. :thumbup:

I've got a JR Atomic, and a Reactor mesh jacket. I'm happy with both, except that obviously mesh is no bueno below about 70 degrees, and even with all the venting and the wind flap unzipped, the Atomic gets pretty hot in the 80s or warmer. Of course, the last week or so it's been in the 50s when I leave for school, and in the mid-to-high 80s or more when I leave. Trying to guess which jacket to wear each morning is like playing rock-paper-scissors, I always seem to lose!

I've looked at the Alter Ego 3.0 once at a shop, and it looked a whole lot like my mesh jacket, with the shell off the Atomic, so it seems like it would be pretty sweet. I'd love to be able to ditch both my current jackets, and pick up one of them, and a real, dedicated wet/cold weather jacket... I'll ride any day there's not snow or frost on the ground on rain in the sky when I leave in the morning, and even with the liner and 2+ layers, my core gets cold with the Atomic.

So, to those who've got one, do you like it? Not too hot in hot weather, not too cold down to ~50 degrees, reasonably water-resistant, etc? Any downsides or hassles, or a competitor you'd recommend? I searched, but didn't find much, and mostly about the old versions. :p

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I love mine. I've had it now for a year now. It's all the Jacket you will ever need. Here in the south I wear the mesh 90% of the time. Some times I'll wear the fleece vest with the mesh Jacket. The only time I wear the outer shell is when it starts to rain or it gets really cold like down in the 40's. The outer shell is very water repellant right out of the box. After every ride in the rain I will usually spray the jacket with some camp dry rain repellant. One thing I did learn is that the jacket is only as water repellant as the glove you have on. I did a trip in the rain with my Astar smx airs and the water blows right up the sleeve and onto my chest. I bought some water repellant Joe Rocket glove and now I stay very dry. The outer shell is very warm. It has vents but they only keep you cool if your moving and cooler than 85 or so. I also like the outer shell rolls up into it's own little bag. When ever I take a trip it always comes with. The fit and finish of the jacket have been perfect. I have had zero problems with it after all these miles. I also have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 pant to complete the package.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Schweet. I've been pretty impressed with the waterproofness of the Atomic, especially for how inexpensive it is. I rode the FZ hours home across OR when I bought it in the rain, and it kept me dry at the core, but not the sleeves. I don't know if it was zippers or gloves passing water, but I lived. As long as that shell blocks the wind enough to be ridable down to 40ish, and keeps me pretty dry in a light or short rain, it's all good. I have the same problem with the Atomic being hot too, I never close the back vents, and with both chest and arm vents open, it's hotter than hell by 80ish at anything below warp speed. It was fine in Oregon, where hot and humid are mutually exclusive, but not here in the sauna.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Was also thinking of the Alter Ego. I also have an older JR Atomic and love the jacket but hate when I go on tour trying to decide to bring my Olympia mesh or the JR. I wear a large in the Atomic, does the Alter Ego stay true to the JR sizing? :confused:

Strange your arms get wet. I've gone through torrential rain storms and stay perfectly dry.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Was also thinking of the Alter Ego. I also have an older JR Atomic and love the jacket but hate when I go on tour trying to decide to bring my Olympia mesh or the JR. I wear a large in the Atomic, does the Alter Ego stay true to the JR sizing? :confused:

Strange your arms get wet. I've gone through torrential rain storms and stay perfectly dry.

I wear an XL Atomic, but mostly for room to layer underneath. My mesh is an L, and when I tried on an Alter Ego at a local shop, the XL was freakin' huge on me, and the L was easily as roomy as my Atomic.

I love the Atomic for what it is... it's cheap, you're not going to die in warm weather, freeze to death down to close to freezing, and it's waterproof enough if you get caught in the rain. I'm hoping the AA will be about the same in warmth and waterproofness with the shell on.

I have no idea how no one else seems to have tried to compete, the idea sounds like a winner to me.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the sizing info. It's really such a simple idea. Use a waterproof outer shell then mesh. I have an Olympia mesh that uses a waterproof liner under it. When it rains it soaks the mesh and you end up getting cold even on warm days. Then to have a wet jacket after the storm has past is just not pleasant.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I do. Ihave the alter ego 3.0. It has been a great jacket in the summer. I have been using non-stop for commute. The mesh really helped on the 95 to 100 degree afternoon ride home. Seasons are already starting to change in the mornings. So as of late I have been using a hoodie underneath in the morning. I haven't really started using the inner fleece yet... Although I have on occasion used the fleece and outer shell. They are very warm. Too warm, for 55 degree mornings and 90 to 95 degree afternoons. Not a bad jacket.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet on one this spring, I liked it so much I sold both my old jackets within a week. I rode in some pretty cold crap this spring, and it kept me amazingly warm. I've been riding every day the last couple weeks and it's been wonderful... 55 degrees when I leave the house, 75 by the time I'm at school, and close to 90 during the day. I would have been hating life if I hadn't bought it!

My only gripes with it are all fastener/closure issues. For one, the elbow pad elastic is on the mesh, there's nothing on the shell to adjust it. I can barely wiggle my arm through with the strap in the middle position and the shell on, so I have to leave them loose when using the shell. On the flip side of that, there's no snaps or velcro at the neck or wrist zips when using the mesh alone. Finally, there's a snap (like they use for liners) at the neck to hold the mesh in, but at the cuffs you just thread the dinky little (I mean little) velcro cuff adjuster through a loop. Doesn't hold the cuff very securely in the sleeve. But all minor annoyances, I still really like it overall.... probably aided by the fact that there's no alternative anywhere near the price range.